An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Or Not

vianney

TempleofVesarius

First mp.....that makes no sense...

Do you drive on roads???...Do you drink water from a system built by the goverment??? Do you have a military that protects you?? Did you go to school??? Do you have a local fire department???

THAT IS WHY IT IS NOT AN INFRINGEMENT ON YOUR RIGHTS TO PAY TAXES

you get what you pay for

if ya pay too much it may be...

Edited by TempleofVesarius

Are you an authority to yourself?

The same authority you say is right to allow you to vote, is the same authority that says you can't drink.

Is the authority wrong allways? Is the authority never right? Are you more right than the authority?

Besides, two different things.

The government that allows a 16 year old to operate a ton of steel at 70 miles an hour on a road with others does not allow them to vote or enter into a legal contract. A government that allows the 16 year old to make life and death decisions on the highway will not let him join the Army and shoot people.

The government that allows a sober 18 year old cast a vote for President along with millions of others can choose to not allow a drunk 18 year old to function in society. That means the UPS guy who comes to your door doesen't have to expect to deal with drunk 19 year olds. High school administrators don't have to expect to deal with drunk and hungover students.

It's wonderful for you if you are 18 and can drink responsiblly. That's great if all 18 year olds can and not impact society. We do have a representative Government. I voted when the drinking age came to a vote in Florida.

It was in the paper that if less 5% of the eligible 18 to 20 year olds registered and voted, the law would not have changed. Most people don't vote, and they didn't.

Majority rules.

Sorry, but to me it makes perfect sense. Your arguing that underage drinking does not harm society. I was just making an analogy that it does harm society as much as not paying taxes would. I could make other's but I'm sure you wouldn't see the sense in those either. By the way, how old are you? It's allways nice to know the maturity level of one I'm conversing with.

Bull,

It's all well and good to disagree with ancedotal stories. But are they true or an urban legend. What are the teen alcoholism rates in Russia?

Again, Societies are a fact of Human nature and how God created us. We form institutions, such as governements for an ordered Society. Governments do not have to be perfect to be legitimate. Laws do not have to perfect to be legitimate. If obedience to law is left up to personal choice, we would not have a Society, we would have anarchy.

Where do you draw the limit on obeying human governmental laws?

It's a simple question to answer if you are a Christian.

We give to Ceasar what is Cesar's. We give to God what is God's. We obey Ceasar's laws unless we are assured that by obeying Ceasar's law we disobey God's laws.

Edited by jasJis

TempleofVesarius

sometimes logic amazes me

ok if i am logically allowed to vote, drive a car, own a firearm, but I cant have a beer.....it seems the others are alot more dangerous to me

mp15,

I agree. My 16 year old was not allowed to drive by herself and I believe she is more mature than 95% of 16 year olds.

TempleofVesarius

I do drink at home....thats where i have my bonfires with my friends lol_grin.gif

scratch that....i still go to parties....but my rents know if im gonna drink or not and even if i do drink they trust me to be responsable about it....still doesnt mean I agree with it

Edited by TempleofVesarius

TempleofVesarius

not to get off subject...

but you rminded me of some interesting quotes

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." -unknown

BullnaChinaShop

My biggest gripe with the 21 drinking age is its inconsitencies with legal adulthood. If this contradiction had not been present I would have been much more likely to follow whatever drinking law applied. If I can be drafted to go died for my country then I sure as heck better have all the rights and responsibilities of an adult including buying alcohol.

I personally don't have a proble with 16 year olds driving. What I have a problem with is the laughable driving tests that any imbecile can pass. I think there should be a requirement for a stringent drivers test for anyone who want to earn the adult responsibility of driving a car.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." -unknown

I'll drink to that! :)

Pax Christi. <><

Bull, if you had seen a lot of the things I have seen teenage drivers do, it might change you mind rather quickly. Put a group of teenagers in a car without adult supervision and the results can be frightening.