An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic High Schools

catholicinsd

Enough of the whining!

Take it like a man, and shut up! And if the refs were lousy, take it up with them.
This "Catholic schools aren't real schools shouldn't be allowed to play sports" nonsense is a load of carp.

What constitutes a "real school"? - Low academic standards? Illiterate graduates? Lack of standards and discipline? Government funding? Strictly enforced secularism?

And should only Catholic schools be banned? What about Baptist schools, Lutheran schools, or Muslim schools?

And the stuff about Catholic schools doing more steroids and drugs is nonsense. Around here, it's mostly [i]public[/i] schools that are known for drug problems (as well as illiterate students). Many parents send their kids to Catholic schools to get them away from that stuff. (Not that all private schools have perfect records).

Should Catholic school kids be barred from colleges too because they also tend to perform better academically? (No doubt from all those mind-enhancing drugs).

Maybe you should change your sn to "Anti-CatholicinSD."

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1205744' date='Feb 28 2007, 09:12 AM']Yeah, that's it. And the Catholic school does recruit, and gives the refs indulgences.[/quote]
Yeah, you can't trust them Papists and their priestcraft!

(Priest to ref: "You'll be granted an indulgence of ten years off Purgatory if you let our team win.") :rolleyes:

MissScripture

a) Where I'm from, if your school wants to play competitively in any sport/activity they must adhere to leauge standards. It doesn't matter if they're Catholic, public, Lutheran, or a Chater school, if they want to play, they have rules to follow. Those include limits on practices (run by coaches...it does not matter how many "Captain's Practices" there are) and drug/alcohol rules.
b) Do you seriously think that Catholic schools have the money to spare to waste on paying off refs? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I went to Catholic school my entire life, and we have never had money to spare. They do whatever they can to save money. Sports are not quite dire enough to waste money on.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1205996' date='Feb 28 2007, 07:53 PM']Maybe you should change your sn to "Anti-CatholicinSD."[/quote]

:lol_roll:

[quote]Maybe you should change your sn to "Anti-CatholicinSD."[/quote]

Aw, give him a break... I know how my brothers react when their teams take it in the gut... Not too rational... quite hostile... :numchucks:

catholicinsd

[quote name='Socrates' post='1205996' date='Feb 28 2007, 07:53 PM']Maybe you should change your sn to "Anti-CatholicinSD."[/quote]

Maybe you should change your sn to "Kool-Aid_Drinker."

catholicinsd

[quote name='Maggie' post='1206082' date='Feb 28 2007, 10:35 PM']Aw, give him a break... I know how my brothers react when their teams take it in the gut... Not too rational... quite hostile... :numchucks:[/quote]

Yes, and any guy who doesn't get mad either lacks pride or is a pansy.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1206130' date='Mar 1 2007, 12:09 AM']Yes, and any guy who doesn't get mad either lacks pride or is a pansy.[/quote]

or has a thing called common sense...or maturity...or the ability to objectively view the situation....or good sportsmanship and grace....

Well, it's still not worth getting super, lasts-longer-than-48-hours mad about. There's always next year.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1206138' date='Mar 1 2007, 12:18 AM']Some info I negated... these are District B-Balls games we're talling about.[/quote]

district's not a big deal *shrugs*....
with my Catholic and therefore full of steroids, bribing pack of cheaters team we make it to at least the quarter/semi finals in state every year.....

Im teasing....

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

High school sports are not the end all be all. Even state championships and such. Just making it that far is reward enough. For the seniors on the team, if they played their hardest and gave it there all, there is nothing for them to worry about.

I know a lot of people who look back and are surprised by what a big deal high school sports were to them back in the day. A lot of it has to do with the type of community you come from. Some towns care a lot, others couldn't care less.

The college athletics programs are really a bigger stage and mean more. High school teams are a wonderful way to make memories, but the memories are there regardless of whether you snag titles. I am sure the seniors to whom the sport means a great deal will have a chance (and will take the opportunity) to excel at the collegiate level.

I am glad you are sympathetic to your classmates who must really be feeling bad, but try not to take the outcome of the game so personally...