An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Wonder Where Budge Has Been Lately?

N/A Gone

TotusTuusMaria

[center]J.M.J.[/center]

Very bitter people.

Jesus, may all who represent you as a Christian have charity in their hearts!

Jesus said they would know us by our charity and love.

"Ignorance is the root of bitterness." - Cardinal Newman

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Also there is ONE of me...and what 20 of you all?[/quote]

There are times when a good number of us have asked you to respond to various specific questions. Your excuse has always been, "There's only one of me, I don't have time, there are a lot of threads." We invited you to leave those threads for now and concentrate on the questions that we wanted you to answer. You had a willing audience. A golden opportunity, surely?

But no answers were forthcoming. In these situations you duck and dodge and do everything you can to avoid answering what was asked. In reality, you found the questions too difficult - otherwise you would have leapt at the chance to educate us. "There is ONE of me" is not going to cut it as an excuse, Budge - especially as quality always speaks over quantity. If what you had to say really had any merit, it wouldn't matter if there were a thousand of us.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]You know telling people over and over "You dont know anything" or are "ill-informed" really is only a diversion.[/quote]Budge, I and others have repeatedly told you exactly what Catholics believe and why, and you have deliberately refused to engage with it. Catholic teaching does [i]not[/i] equate Mary with God. Fact. Anybody who says otherwise is either lying outright or badly misinformed.

[quote]having Mom drag you to Methodist church once, doesnt mean you are an ex-Bible Thumper...[/quote]

I don't think any of the ex-fundamentalists on this board would fit that description for one moment. Who is creating the diversions here?

[quote]Unless a person AGREED with your beliefs, you would claim they were lying, perhaps with the exception of an extremely milquetoast Protestant who is about to swim the Tiber.[/quote]

No. I wouldn't. I just think that if somebody is going to disagree with Catholicism, they should disagree with what Catholicism actually is and not with the version that exists in their head. A number of fundamentalists have asked me to defend my (apparent) belief that the priest crucifies Jesus again at every Mass. I won't. Why? Because Catholics don't believe that. If someone cared to challenge a genuine Catholic belief, I would have more respect for them - but so far that hasn't happened.

[quote name='prose' post='1261618' date='May 1 2007, 11:30 AM']Does anyone else think it is trippy that we are writing a thread about them who are writing a thread about us debating them?

One more note:

I had no idea that the FBC was causing such a stir on the internet!![/quote]

God bless those little animals...

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1262146' date='May 1 2007, 11:35 PM']And whiny. I've never been treated with anything other than warmth and welcome.[/quote]

Aww... Yeah they do seem sorta whiny...

[quote name='Raphael' post='1262211' date='May 2 2007, 12:42 AM']Well then, you're well overdo for a beating, aren't you?

What shall it be...club or a board with a nail in it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

:P: jk[/quote]

Hahahaha... luckily I've avoided my beating.

[quote name='Budge' post='1262371' date='May 2 2007, 10:25 AM'][url="http://p094.ezboard.com/fcatholicreformationfrm22.showMessage?topicID=9197.topic"]http://p094.ezboard.com/fcatholicreformati...icID=9197.topic[/url]
When are some of you going to come over for a visit?

:lol_roll:[/quote]

I might mosey on over in a while. Just don't make fun of my name...

[quote name='Budge' post='1262402' date='May 2 2007, 11:25 AM']As for your staying away, I think that Catholics cant deal with the mixture of scripture, real world events, and more at once. You want to keep quibbling over the paperwork.

We got a few Catholic diehards, but I wish they would move beyond the slogans and defense modes. Even they avoid some threads with a 30 foot pole, there are some many things really even the best diehard Catholic apologist cant excuse in the Catholic Church. Better to ignore it and pretend its not happening.

Here is an example of one of those threads, none of the Catholics would touch with a 30 foot pole...

[url="http://p094.ezboard.com/fcatholicreformationfrm22.showMessage?topicID=9178.topic"]http://p094.ezboard.com/fcatholicreformati...icID=9178.topic[/url]
having Mom drag you to Methodist church once, doesnt mean you are an ex-Bible Thumper...;)

You know telling people over and over "You dont know anything" or are "ill-informed" really is only a diversion.
Unless a person AGREED with your beliefs, you would claim they were lying, perhaps with the exception of an extremely milquetoast Protestant who is about to swim the Tiber.
Why would you need to, most of Protestantism--every mainline church out there and more and more of the evangelicals are joined with you guys.[/quote]

Ouch! Ad hominum! Hows about taking us for serious here. I know of some Fundies who became Catholic. Believe me, they went on their on initiative.
Well... who wants to go take another crack at that phorum? If not I have an other one in mind... though I'm still waiting for a reply on such matters from Raph/Phatcatholic...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1262939' date='May 2 2007, 09:19 PM']Well... who wants to go take another crack at that phorum? If not I have an other one in mind... though I'm still waiting for a reply on such matters from Raph/Phatcatholic...[/quote]
Yeah...sorry...I didn't realize that my 12 credit semester would be so jam-packed with projects.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Raphael' post='1263053' date='May 3 2007, 05:38 AM']Yeah...sorry...I didn't realize that my 12 credit semester would be so jam-packed with projects.[/quote]

I understand. How is it that the 12-hour semesters end up being busier than the 18-hour ones! (or at least that was my experience, but possibly that's because my only 12-hour semester was also my last semester and I had to write my thesis).

[code]I don't think any of the ex-fundamentalists on this board would fit that description for one moment. Who is creating the diversions here?[/code]

I agree here. For a little while, I actually prided myself as being known as the fundie in my group of friends. of course, the more I studied Scripture, the more I came to realize the truth of the Catholic Church. :)

[quote]Budge, I and others have repeatedly told you exactly what Catholics believe and why, and you have deliberately refused to engage with it. Catholic teaching does not equate Mary with God. Fact. Anybody who says otherwise is either lying outright or badly misinformed.[/quote]

Heres the problem.

I am not lying or misinformed when I say Mary is equated to God in the Catholic Church.

I see things differently and in fact unless I was to concede that I believe the same about Mary as you do, you would continue to tell me I was misinformed.

Mary is given the gifts of omniprecense--multiple appartions and omnipotence--able to hear millions of prayers at once, you may think God gave her those gifts, I dont, I think those teachings are wrong.

[quote]I might mosey on over in a while. Just don't make fun of my name...[/quote]

Ok good, will look forward to seeing you there :)

CatholicCid

[quote name='Budge' post='1263131' date='May 3 2007, 08:19 AM']Heres the problem.

I am not lying or misinformed when I say Mary is equated to God in the Catholic Church.

I see things differently and in fact unless I was to concede that I believe the same about Mary as you do, you would continue to tell me I was misinformed.

Mary is given the gifts of omniprecense--multiple appartions and omnipotence--able to hear millions of prayers at once, you may think God gave her those gifts, I dont, I think those teachings are wrong.[/quote]

Luckily, you still have a Debate with Raphael going on about Mary to discuss all this stuff - [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59911&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...=59911&st=0[/url]

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]I am not lying or misinformed when I say Mary is equated to God in the Catholic Church.

I see things differently[/quote]Fortunately, Budge, we do not believe in what you teach Catholicism to be. We believe in what the Catholic Church teaches Catholicism to be.

When you continue your debate with Raphael, please remember that you can't present your 'different' perception to us and expect us to accept and defend it as our religion. It's not. It's just that - your perception of what our religion is.

[quote]I see things differently and in fact unless I was to concede that I believe the same about Mary as you do, you would continue to tell me I was misinformed.[/quote]

No, I wouldn't. If you would like to argue against what the Catholic Church [i]actually[/i] believes, go ahead and do so. Just don't construct a strawman to fight every time and expect us to defend it.

[quote]Mary is given the gifts of omniprecense--multiple appartions and omnipotence--able to hear millions of prayers at once, you may think God gave her those gifts, I dont, I think those teachings are wrong.[/quote]

Aha! Now we're talking. You have accepted that Catholics believe that Mary has no power in her own right, but that it all comes from God. Argue against this belief in your thread with Raphael, if you like - you have latched on to some genuine Catholicism here. (Although such a debate would have to focus more on the nature of Heaven and the non-existence of time rather than Mary herself.) Just don't make the same tired and incorrect old claims about Mary-worship and Mary equalling God that I have seen on that ezboard, because that is not real Catholicism - it is the Catholicism of the fundamentalist imagination.

TotusTuusMaria

[center]J.M.J.[/center]

[quote name='Budge' post='1263132' date='May 3 2007, 09:21 AM']Ok good, will look forward to seeing you there :)[/quote]

I was going to go over there and check it out too. I tried to create a username and it wouldn't let me... ah! :(

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie

Paladin D

[b]Budge[/b], just incase you still don't understand what we're trying to tell you, here's a short fictional story that may aid you.

[size=5][b]Scene: Early Day in a Suburban Neighborhood[/b][/size]

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Hey there neighbor!"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Hey there cookie worshipper!"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "What's up crazy Fundie?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Nothing much, just got done with a crazy screaming match with this one guy. He said something about taking a chill pill, but I'm not hot. Must be some sort of Vatican drug that seduces people or something."

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Strange. So what can I do for ya?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "I couldn't help but notice you changed the color of your house, why is that?"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Well, the old paint was wearing off and instead of going with the same old look, I decided to paint my house blue this time."

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Blue? You sure it's not red?"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "What do you mean? It's blue, look."

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "I'm sorry to break this to you, but it's red."

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "No, it's not. Are you colorblind or something? It's BLUE, it matches the color of the sky for crying out loud!"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "I'm sorry but I'm just stating the facts, but it's definately red."

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Look! I'm a [u][b]painter by profession[/b][/u], I make a living painting houses. All I do during the dang friggin week is paint house, after house, after house. Wouldn't I know which color is which?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Hey, I know what I'm talking about too, I'm not an ignorant fool. [u][b]I used to be a painter[/b][/u], I used to work with ya, remember?

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "It doesn't mean you were a good painter."

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "I know you're still upset with me leaving the business, and even moreso with me [b][u]becoming a plumber[/u][/b]. I now am a plumber, but it doesn't mean I'm not good with paint."

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "If that's the case, why are you claiming my house is red, while obviously it's blue?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Because it is red! You claim it's blue!"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Wouldn't I know my own job that I make for a living, and my own can of paint that I personally picked out from the store?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "[b][u]The store deceived you, they put a blue label on it.[/b][/u]"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Well if that's the case, [u][b]WHY DOES MY PAINT MATCH THE BLUE LABEL!?[/b][/u]"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "It's a lie, it's a conspiracy. The store is trying to change the colors!"

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "??? I lost ya man. Anyway, I may have figured out a way to solve this. Remember I said my paint matches the color of the sky today?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "Yeah, but that's incorrect."

[b]Neighbor Catholic:[/b] "Is that so? Look at my house and at the sky together. What do you see?"

[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/b][/i] "Red and Green."

Edited by Paladin D

Here's the kicker: it'd be perfectly reasonable if Budge said: "okay, it's blue. but it shouldn't be blue, blue is the wrong color to paint a house; here are my reasons: X, Y, Z. It should be red, because it's more scriptural to have a red house"

BUT, he refuses to accept that the house is blue, because the house is only blue IN THE PAPERWORK, and in actuality he can clearly see that it is red :wacko:

Paladin D

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1263372' date='May 3 2007, 05:26 PM']Here's the kicker: it'd be perfectly reasonable if Budge said: "okay, it's blue. but it shouldn't be blue, blue is the wrong color to paint a house; here are my reasons: X, Y, Z. It should be red, because it's more scriptural to have a red house"

BUT, he refuses to accept that the house is blue, because the house is only blue IN THE PAPERWORK, and in actuality he can clearly see that it is red :wacko:[/quote]

Exactly. You're right on the ball.

I'm honestly concerned if these people have a slight mental disorder that prohibits them from understanding this line of reason.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Raphael' post='1263053' date='May 3 2007, 01:38 AM']Yeah...sorry...I didn't realize that my 12 credit semester would be so jam-packed with projects.[/quote]
Yeah it's okay. Soon I'll understand... very soon... when I reach some higher learning.

[quote]
[b][i]Neighbor Budge:[/i][/b] "[b][u]The store deceived you, they put a blue label on it.[/b][/u]"
...[/quote]

:lol_roll: That was the best line EVER

Edited by Sacred Music Man