An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mixed Messages?

EJames

Groo, that is a foolish answer meant to divert.

I am not preaching violence.

If you think one should preach to false religions by worshipping their gods to please them, then you definitely believe a person should seek the love of man first over following Gods commandments {the first}

This bishop could be nice and polite to these hindus without lighting a light to their gods.

He could say "I do not bleieve that way, that is forbidden by my religion"

He could say.."I do not believe in Hindu gods, sorry but I must stand by loyalty to my God which does not permit the worshipping of other gods or spirits"

One could surmise his actions rested in cowardice I suppose instead of inherent universalist beliefs but I somehow sadly think its a mixture of both.

I have unbeliever friends, some are old friends, I do not do Wiccan spells with the one who is a witch, I tell her to her face what I believe the power of those spells come from. I do not practice Buddhism with the other. I do not forsake Christ to my Jewish friend but tell her I believe He is God and the gospel.

This guy has broken the first commandment, and done it publically. Those HIndus have less chance of a full conversion to Christ now that they see this guy embracing their gods.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Budge' post='1266836' date='May 7 2007, 12:37 PM']Groo, that is a foolish answer meant to divert.[/quote]

No more foolish and diverting than the drivel you continually post. You see a picture or hear a story of a Catholic joining in peace with someone of another faith (false or not) and you rush to claim APOSTASY! HERESY! UNIVERSALISM! WHORE OF BABYLON!

Peace is good. All good come from God. Why can you not accept that through peace we reach out to our fellow man and by our example plant the seeds in their hearts for conversion?

Extolling peace is not the same as worshipping...nor is embracing...nor is gathering together. I guess in Budgianity, woe be to the man who goes to a baseball game where muslims, buddhists, pagans, or druids may be in attandance, for they are embracing universalism, relativism, and modernism....

whatever.... :unsure:

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Budge' post='1266692' date='May 7 2007, 09:06 AM'][img]http://www.traditioninaction.org/Questions/Images/B_054_diasdemon.jpg[/img]
How is he going to win CHRISTIAN converts lighting lamps to HINDU DEITIES?[/quote]

Amazing that you still claim to know the hearts of men. I see a pic of him lighting a lamp. Period. I do the same thing when my electricity goes out. I see nothing that shows he is bowing to the false gods of Hindu or that he is worshipping (an act of the heart and intellect) them.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1266692' date='May 7 2007, 08:06 AM'][img]http://www.traditioninaction.org/Questions/Images/B_054_diasdemon.jpg[/img]
How is he going to win CHRISTIAN converts lighting lamps to HINDU DEITIES?

One of the biggest problems with Hindu conversion to Christianity, is they will just add "jesus" to their pantheon of Hindu gods...and your leaders have now helped this.

Winchester just say ITS WRONG, who cares about the intent, or the excuses anyone can make {HE BROKE THE FIRST COMMANDMENT FULL STOP}[/quote]

Budge, I was responding to the original post, which did not indicate that a member of the clergy was burning incense to a Hindu god (which is definitely wrong).

Winchester

[quote name='Budge' post='1266823' date='May 7 2007, 12:22 PM']Why are you defending it then?[/quote]
Show me where I defended syncretism. Quote me defending syncretism.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Winchester' post='1267357' date='May 7 2007, 05:16 PM']Show me where I defended syncretism. Quote me defending syncretism.[/quote]

Ah...the "paperwork defense."

[quote]Amazing that you still claim to know the hearts of men. I see a pic of him lighting a lamp. Period. I do the same thing when my electricity goes out. I see nothing that shows he is bowing to the false gods of Hindu or that he is worshipping (an act of the heart and intellect) them.[/quote]

This is the saddest thing Ive ever read on here, denying what is happening right in front of your eyes, spiritual blindness is the only thing that can explain this and cognitive dissonance--refusal to face facts.

I feel sorry for you.

Winchester if you were truly against syncretism you would be helping me not hindering me on this thread.

You would admit this leader is not worthy of being followed.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1267404' date='May 7 2007, 06:30 PM']Winchester if you were truly against syncretism you would be helping me not hindering me on this thread.

You would admit this leader is not worthy of being followed.[/quote]
Budge, are you saying that he should work with you on something he agrees with you about even though you have so much you disagree about? Isn't that syncretism?

Who cares about me?

What about Jesus Christ?

None of you seem too interested in making a stand for CHrist.

Because so many Catholics accept this interfaith nonsense, these men can openly and NOW PUBLICALLY worship Hindu gods with no reservations.

The frogs are being boiled in pot.

Thy Geekdom Come

Budge's tactics:

[quote name='Budge' post='1267418' date='May 7 2007, 06:35 PM']Who cares about me?[/quote]

Step 1: shift topic off of her own inconsistencies.

[quote]What about Jesus Christ?[/quote]Step 2: ask a rhetorical question designed to imply that no Catholic wants to talk about Jesus Christ.

[quote]None of you seem too interested in making a stand for CHrist.[/quote]

Step 3: state explicitly and condemningly that no Catholic here wants to stand up for Christ (which is irrelevant because we aren't disagreeing with Budge that honoring false gods is wrong, but rather are ticked that she never stops holding up bad examples of Catholicism as good examples of Catholicism).

[quote]Because so many Catholics accept this interfaith nonsense, these men can openly and NOW PUBLICALLY worship Hindu gods with no reservations.[/quote]

Step 4: level accusation consisting of a) broad, sweeping generalizations, b) pre-conceived notions of the "nonsense" of the whole thing, and c) implication that the intention of the people involved is evil.

Budge, I will continue to analyze your tactics until you begin to deal honestly with us. These attempts to misrepresent Catholicism, shift guilt around, etc. will be brought to light until you cut it out.

God bless,

Micah

[b]Translation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Budge You're the problem not the HINDU WORSHIPPING CARDINALS AND BISHOPS.[/b]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1267626' date='May 7 2007, 09:27 PM'][b]Translation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Budge You're the problem not the HINDU WORSHIPPING CARDINALS AND BISHOPS.[/b][/quote]
Budge, I'm not calling you the problem. I just think it's interesting that someone who once said that you can't share some truths with others and not share other truths could also then imply that you can.

If any bishop worshipped a hindu god, then he has to answer to a lot of people. I have no doubt that there are Catholics who've done so. However, that only proves that the Catholic Church is the one Jesus meant when He said that there would be weeds and wheat in His Church.

Further, interfaith activities are clearly not supposed to do that. Anyone who did such a thing was acting in an un-Catholic way by doing such a thing, so I don't see how that disproves Catholicism.

angelusdomini

I personally must say that for myself, i was quite sandalised when I first saw that picture. Forget the context, look at the picture- and ask yourself what comes to mind. This is all the more disheartening because it is hardly the first time or the gravest incident. Now, am I going to abandon Holy Mother Church and graft myself onto something else that is not what our Lord established/ No. But, that is in large part due to what I have experienced and come to fully understand and appreciate in God's mercy about His Grace, Truth and Church. God's grace continues to come to us through thos men whom He has chosen no matter what their faults.

Mateo el Feo

I don't know why Budge had to side track this thread. In any event, here is a link to the original article:

[url="http://www.ifcmw.org/default.asp?page=bridge_builders_photos_1"]http://www.ifcmw.org/default.asp?page=brid...ilders_photos_1[/url]

It's an interfaith organization in Washington, DC. They had an awards ceremony, and Archbishop Pietro Sambi lit a candle. Evidently, this candle is a source of scandal? What is the concern about lighting a "traditional Indian rangoli" candle? Did he open a vortex to some alternate universe?

Paraphrasing Freud, "Sometimes a candle is just a candle."