An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mixed Messages?

EJames

Apotheoun

The bishop in question is lighting this particular candle in front of a pagan (Hindu) idol. His actions are scandalous and evince a form of theological indifferentism.

As a Catholic I am not going to defend the foolish things done by various priests and bishops around the world.

Mateo el Feo

Here's his contact information:

Mailing Address:
3339 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W
Washington, DC 20008

Telephone: (202)333-7121
Fax: 337-4036

[url="http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dxxus.html"]http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dxxus.html[/url]

Thy Geekdom Come

Okay, as interesting as this is, it's degraded into an occasion for Catholic vs. Catholic debate. Let's try to get it back on topic. :)

God bless,

Raphael

Apotheoun

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1268186' date='May 8 2007, 02:22 PM']Here's his contact information:

Mailing Address:
3339 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W
Washington, DC 20008

Telephone: (202)333-7121
Fax: 337-4036

[url="http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dxxus.html"]http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dxxus.html[/url][/quote]
I have no intention of participating in a Catholic vs. Catholic debate. That said, perhaps as a member of the Roman Rite you should write to the bishop and ask why he is lighting candles in front of pagan idols.

God bless,
Todd

P.S. - For Eastern Catholics to light a candle in front of an icon is an act of worship. Sadly, the idol shown in the picture can in no way be seen as a Christian icon.

P.P.S - Catholics are under no obligation to defend bizarre actions performed by clerics.

Hey if lighting a lamp to Vishnu or Shiva is ok, I guess the Cardinal can go do a Wiccan spell, maybe he can take part in a winter solstice--oops that already happened! or pray to Allah in a mosque--oops already happened, silly me...

And you folks still dont get why an EX-Universalist who read the BIble and got saved and knows Jesus Christ is only way and truth, wouldnt put up with this stuff in your church?

I[quote]n contrast to Budge's claim that there is some deity being worshipped, all of the websites I have read suggest nothing of the sort. The [/quote]Nonsense.

[quote]
We don't have many more facts about this situation, so I think it's idle speculation to try to infer more than the known facts show. It's something akin to hearing a partial account of St. Paul's visit to the altar of the unknown god (Acts 17:23) and assuming that he had embraced the paganism of the Athenians.[/quote]

The apostles didnt light lamps to Baal, your apostles of deceit DO.

Mateo, frankly its kind of sickening watching you defend this stuff, at least a few of the Catholics here have a little bit of conscience left to know its wrong.

You know some of you would make good defense lawyers, you can come up with an excuse for everything.

I suppose if the guy said Hail Satan and sacrificed a goat, youd probably tell us, he was helping make dinner for the interfaith group.

:rolleyes:

[quote]This is from the first Google link I looked at related to rangoli candles.

Other sources discuss the association of the rangoli candle with the Dawali celebration, which commemorates the victory of good over evil. Maybe you have a problem with someone who believes that good was victorious over evil? Hmmm...

Yet another case of Budge seeing what she wants to see.[/quote]

Mateo,

youre a Universalist.

Full stop.

If you want to go light a lamp to Krishna, go ahead, but dont claim youre a Christian, and neither should your apostate bishop.

Sigh,

Yes, I agree with Apotheon. Perhaps you Eastern Catholics could influx into the Western Rite for a couple of years, until we straighten everything out.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Budge' post='1268429' date='May 8 2007, 09:58 PM']Mateo,

youre a Universalist.

Full stop.[/quote]I have never seen the inside of a Universalist Church, and my insistence on being a member of the One Catholic Apostolic Faith seems to be a slight problem for your quack-theory. You yourself have to deal with your history of accepting the tenants of Universalism, not I.
[quote name='Budge' post='1268429' date='May 8 2007, 09:58 PM']If you want to go light a lamp to Krishna, go ahead, but dont claim youre a Christian, and neither should your apostate bishop.[/quote]Insane. This "lamp" was not a "lamp", it was a candle. And, where did the website say anything against Krishna? Seriously Budge, check the Ten Commandments and tell me why you insist on bearing false witness against others. Thou shalt not, Budge.

[quote]This "lamp" was not a "lamp", it was a candle.[/quote]

Get some glasses...

Thats not a candle...

[img]http://i18.tinypic.com/6auooba.jpg[/img]

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Budge' post='1268579' date='May 8 2007, 08:50 PM']Get some glasses...

Thats not a candle...

[img]http://i18.tinypic.com/6auooba.jpg[/img][/quote]

Perhaps you're the one who needs their eyes checked. That's not even the same picture.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Budge' post='1268579' date='May 8 2007, 11:50 PM']Get some glasses...

Thats not a candle...[/quote]Maybe you should read the caption of the picture on the source website.

kenrockthefirst

Here's my take, FWIW:
[list=1]
[*]Bishops in particular must not only be pure but [i]be seen[/i] to be pure. It's impossible for us to know the intent of this particular bishop but lighting a candle in front of a statue of Ganesh certainly appears iffy.
[*]Taking Winchester's point, Budge has used the actions of an individual to paint with a broad brush and condemn the entire Catholic Church. That would be akin, of course, to me challenging Protestantism in general because of the actions of of Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart or Ted Haggard. 'Nuff said.
[/list]

[quote]Taking Winchester's point, Budge has used the actions of an individual to paint with a broad brush and condemn the entire Catholic Church. That would be akin, of course, to me challenging Protestantism in general because of the actions of of Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart or Ted Haggard. 'Nuff said.[/quote]

I dont have to follow Jim bakker, Jimmy Swaggert or Ted Haggard, in fact I consider all of them false preachers....

According to the teachings of your church you have to follow these bishops, Cardinal and Pope.

[quote name='Budge' post='1269132' date='May 9 2007, 02:12 PM']I dont have to follow Jim bakker, Jimmy Swaggert or Ted Haggard, in fact I consider all of them false preachers....

According to the teachings of your church you have to follow these bishops, Cardinal and Pope.[/quote]

Well Budge, it seems to me that you believe that everyone is a false preacher unless they agree with your own personal interpretation of scripture.

Why should I accept your interpretation of scripture? What authority do you have?

Edited by SJP

Your bishop who has participated in Hindu worship definitely DIDNT READ IT.

{at least Jimmy Swaggert and Bakker, despite their faults, may truly be born again, and would never ever start bowing or lighting to incense to Ganesha in a public forum}