An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

Psalm 51 (Douay-Rheims)

David condemns the wickedness of Doeg, and foretells his destruction.

1 Unto the end, understanding for David,
2 When Doeg the Edomite came and told Saul: David went to the house of Achimelech.
3 Why dost thou glory in malice, thou that art mighty in iniquity?
4 All the day long thy tongue hath devised injustice: as a sharp razor, thou hast wrought deceit.
5 Thou hast loved malice more than goodness: and iniquity rather than to speak righteousness.
6 Thou hast loved all the words of ruin, O deceitful tongue.
7 Therefore will God destroy thee for ever: he will pluck thee out, and remove thee from thy dwelling place: and thy root out of the land of the living.
8 The just shall see and fear, and shall laugh at him, and say:
9 Behold the man that made not God his helper: But trusted in the abundance of his riches: and prevailed in his vanity.
10 But I, as a fruitful olive tree in the house of God, have hoped in the mercy of God for ever, yea for ever and ever.
11 I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name, for it is good in the sight of thy saints.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 52 (Douay-Rheims)

Dixit insipiens. The general corruption of man before the coming of Christ.

1 Unto the end, for Maeleth, understandings to David. The fool said in his heart: There is no God.
2 They are corrupted, and become abominable in iniquities: there is none that doth good. 3 God looked down from heaven on the children of men: to see if there were any that did understand, or did seek God.
4 All have gone aside, they are become unprofitable together, there is none that doth good, no not one.
5 Shall not all the workers of iniquity know, who eat up my people as they eat bread?

6 They have not called upon God: there have they trembled for fear, where there was no fear. For God hath scattered the bones of them that please men: they have been confounded, because God hath despised them.
7 Who will give out of Sion the salvation of Israel? when God shall bring back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

Psalm 53 (Douay-Rheims)

A prayer for help in distress.

1 Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David.
2 When the men of Ziph had come and said to Saul: Is not David hidden with us? [size=1][color="#808080"][1 Samuel 23.19][/color][/size]
3 Save me, O God, by thy name, and judge me in thy strength.
4 O God, hear my prayer: give ear to the words of my mouth.
5 For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.
6 For behold God is my helper: and the Lord is the protector of my soul.
7 Turn back the evils upon my enemies; and cut them off in thy truth.
8 I will freely sacrifice to thee, and will give praise, O God, to thy name: because it is good:
9 For thou hast delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye hath looked down upon my enemies.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.
Alleluia.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 54 (Douay-Rheims)
[color="#8B0000"][i]Exaudi, Deus. A prayer of a just man under persecution from the wicked. It agrees to Christ persecuted by the Jews, and betrayed by Judas.[/i][/color]

1 Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David.
2 Hear, O God, my prayer, and despise not my supplication:
3 Be attentive to me and hear me. I am grieved in my exercise; and am troubled,
4 At the voice of the enemy, and at the tribulation of the sinner. For they have cast iniquities upon me: and in wrath they were troublesome to me.
5 My heart is troubled within me: and the fear of death is fallen upon me.

6 Fear and trembling are come upon me: and darkness hath covered me.
7 And I said: Who will give me wings like a dove, and I will fly and be at rest?
8 Lo, I have gone far off flying away; and I abode in the wilderness.
9 I waited for him that hath saved me from pusillanimity of spirit, and a storm.
10 Cast down, O Lord, and divide their tongues; for I have seen iniquity and contradiction in the city.

11 Day and night shall iniquity surround it upon its walls: and in the midst thereof are labour,
12 And injustice. And usury and deceit have not departed from its streets.
13 For if my enemy had reviled me, I would verily have borne with it. And if he that hated me had spoken great things against me, I would perhaps have hidden myself from him.
14 But thou a man of one mind, my guide, and my familiar,
15 Who didst take sweetmeats together with me: in the house of God we walked with consent.

16 Let death come upon them, and let them go down alive into hell. For there is wickedness in their dwellings: in the midst of them.
17 But I have cried to God: and the Lord will save me.
18 Evening and morning, and at noon I will speak and declare: and he shall hear my voice.
19 He shall redeem my soul in peace from them that draw near to me: for among many they were with me.
20 God shall hear, and the Eternal shall humble them. For there is no change with them, and they have not feared God:

21 He hath stretched forth his hand to repay. They have defiled his covenant,
22 They are divided by the wrath Of his countenance, and his heart hath drawn near. His words are smoother than oil, and the same are darts.
23 Cast thy care upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall not suffer the just to waver for ever.
24 But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction. Bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee, O Lord.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Latin Vulgate

[b]Psalms 55:[/b]

1  in finem pro populo qui a sanctis longe factus est David in tituli inscriptione cum tenuerunt eum Allophili in Geth
2  miserere mei Deus quoniam conculcavit me homo tota die inpugnans tribulavit me
3  conculcaverunt me inimici mei tota die quoniam multi bellantes adversum me
4  ab altitudine diei timebo ego vero in te sperabo
5  in Deo laudabo sermones meos in Deo speravi non timebo quid faciat mihi caro
6  tota die verba mea execrabantur adversum me omnia consilia eorum in malum
7  inhabitabunt et abscondent ipsi calcaneum meum observabunt sicut sustinuerunt animam meam
8  pro nihilo salvos facies illos in ira populos confringes Deus
9  vitam meam adnuntiavi tibi posuisti lacrimas meas in conspectu tuo sicut et in promissione tua
10  tunc convertentur inimici mei retrorsum in quacumque die invocavero te ecce cognovi quoniam Deus meus es
11  in Deo laudabo verbum in Domino laudabo sermonem in Deo speravi non timebo quid faciat mihi homo
12  in me sunt Deus vota tua quae reddam laudationes tibi
13  quoniam eripuisti animam meam de morte et pedes meos de lapsu ut placeam coram Deo in lumine viventium

(Douay-Rheims)

[b]Psalms 56:[/b]

1  Unto the end, for a people that is removed at a distance from the sanctuary for David, for an inscription of a title (or pillar) when the Philistines held him in Geth.
2  Have mercy on me, O God, for man hath trodden me under foot; all the day long he hath afflicted me fighting against me.
3  My enemies have trodden on me all the day long; for they are many that make war against me.
4  From the height of the day I shall fear: but I will trust in thee.
5  In God I will praise my words, in God I have put my trust: I will not fear what flesh can do against me.
6  All the day long they detested my words: all their thoughts were against me unto evil.
7  They will dwell and hide themselves: they will watch my heel. As they have waited for my soul,
8  for nothing shalt thou save them: in thy anger thou shalt break the people in pieces, O God,
9  I have declared to thee my life: thou hast set my tears in thy sight, As also in thy promise.
10  Then shall my enemies be turned back. In what day soever I shall call upon thee, behold I know thou art my God.
11  In God will I praise the word, in the Lord will I praise his speech. In God have I hoped, I will not fear what man can do to me.
12  In me, O God, are vows to thee, which I will pay, praises to thee:
13  Because thou hast delivered my soul from death, my feet from falling: that I may please in the sight of God, in the light of the living.

[b]Psalms 57:[/b] (Douay-Rheims)

1  Unto the end, destroy not, for David, for an inscription of a title, when he fled from Saul into the cave
2  Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me: for my soul trusteth in thee. And in the shadow of thy wings will I hope, until iniquity pass away.
3  I will cry to God the most High; to God who hath done good to me.
4  He hath sent from heaven and delivered me: he hath made them a reproach that trod upon me. God hath sent his mercy and his truth,
5  and he hath delivered my soul from the midst of the young lions. I slept troubled. The sons of men, whose teeth are weapons and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.
6  Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens, and thy glory above all the earth.
7  They prepared a snare for my feet; and they bowed down my soul. They dug a pit before my face, and they are fallen into it.
8  My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready: I will Sing, and rehearse a psalm.
9  Arise, O my glory, arise psaltery and harp: I will arise early.
10  I will give praise to thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing a psalm to thee among the nations.
11  For thy mercy is magnified even to the heavens: and thy truth unto the clouds.
12  Be thou exalted, O God, above the l heavens: and thy glory above all the earth.

[b]Psalms 58:[/b]

1  Unto the end, destroy not, for David, for an inscription of a title.
2  If in very deed you speak justice: judge right things, ye sons of men.
3  For in your heart you work iniquity: your hands forge injustice in the earth.
4  The wicked are alienated from the womb; they have gone astray from the womb: they have spoken false things.
5  Their madness is according to the likeness of a serpent: like the deaf asp that stoppeth her ears:
6  Which will not hear the voice of the charmers; nor of the wizard that charmeth wisely.
7  God shall break in pieces their teeth in their mouth: the Lord shall break the grinders of the lions.
8  They shall come to nothing, like water running down; he hath bent his bow till they be weakened.
9  Like wax that melteth they shall be taken away: fire hath fallen on them, and they shall not see the sun.
10  Before your thorns could know the brier; he swalloweth them up, as alive, in his wrath.
11  The just shall rejoice when he shall see the revenge: he shall wash his hands in the blood of the sinner.
12  And man shall say: If indeed there be fruit to the just: there is indeed a God that judgeth them on the earth.

[b]Psalms 59:[/b]

1  Unto the end, destroy not, for David for an inscription of It title, when Saul sent and watched his house to kill him.
2  Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; and defend me from them that rise up against me.
3  Deliver me from them that work iniquity, and save me from bloody men.
4  For behold they have caught my soul: the mighty have rushed in upon me:
5  Neither is it my iniquity, nor my sin, O Lord: without iniquity have I run, and directed my steps.
6  Rise up thou to meet me, and behold: even thou, O Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel. Attend to visit all the nations: have no mercy on all them that work iniquity.
7  They shall return at evening, and shall suffer hunger like dogs: and shall go round about the city.
8  Behold they shall speak with their mouth, and a sword is in their lips: for who, say they, hath heard us ?
9  But thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them: thou shalt bring all the nations to nothing.
10  I will keep my strength to thee: for thou art my protector:
11  my God, his mercy shall prevent me.
12  God shall let me see over my enemies: slay them not, lest at any time my people forget. Scatter them by thy power; and bring them down, O Lord, my protector:
13  For the sin of their mouth, and the word of their lips: and let them be taken in their pride. And for their cursing and lying they shall be talked of,
14  when they are consumed: when they are consumed by thy wrath, and they shall be no more. And they shall know that God will rule Jacob, and all the ends of the earth.
15  They shall return at evening and shall suffer hunger like dogs: and shall go round about the city.
16  They shall be scattered abroad to eat, and shall murmur if they be not filled.
17  But I will sing thy strength: and will extol thy mercy in the morning. For thou art become my support, and my refuge, in the day of my trouble.
18  Unto thee, O my helper, will I sing, for thou art God my defence: my God my mercy.

[b]Psalms 60:[/b]

1  Unto the end, for them that shall be changed, for the inscription of a title, to David himself, for doctrine,
2  when he set fire to Mesopotamia of Syria and Sobal and Joab returned and slew of Edom, in the vale of the saltpits, twelve thousand men.
3  O God, thou hast cast us off, and hast destroyed us; thou hast been angry, and hast had mercy on us.
4  Thou hast moved the earth, and hast troubled it: heal thou the breaches thereof, for it has been moved.
5  Thou hast shewn thy people hard things; thou hast made us drink wine of sorrow.
6  Thou hast given a warning to them that fear thee: that they may flee from before the bow: That thy beloved may be delivered.
7  Save me with thy right hand, and hear me.
8  God hath spoken in his holy place: I will rejoice, and I will divide Sichem; and will mete out the vale of tabernacles.
9  Galaad is mine, and Manasses is mine: and Ephraim is the strength of my head. Juda is my king:
10  Moab is the pot of my hope. Into Edom will I stretch out my shoe: to me the foreigners are made subject.
11  Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?
12  Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go out with our armies?
13  Give us help from trouble: for vain is the salvation of man.
14  Through God we shall do mightily: and he shall bring to nothing them that afflict us.

[b]Psalms 60:[/b]

1  Unto the end, for them that shall be changed, for the inscription of a title, to David himself, for doctrine,
2  when he set fire to Mesopotamia of Syria and Sobal and Joab returned and slew of Edom, in the vale of the saltpits, twelve thousand men.
3  O God, thou hast cast us off, and hast destroyed us; thou hast been angry, and hast had mercy on us.
4  Thou hast moved the earth, and hast troubled it: heal thou the breaches thereof, for it has been moved.
5  Thou hast shewn thy people hard things; thou hast made us drink wine of sorrow.
6  Thou hast given a warning to them that fear thee: that they may flee from before the bow: That thy beloved may be delivered.
7  Save me with thy right hand, and hear me.
8  God hath spoken in his holy place: I will rejoice, and I will divide Sichem; and will mete out the vale of tabernacles.
9  Galaad is mine, and Manasses is mine: and Ephraim is the strength of my head. Juda is my king:
10  Moab is the pot of my hope. Into Edom will I stretch out my shoe: to me the foreigners are made subject.
11  Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?
12  Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go out with our armies?
13  Give us help from trouble: for vain is the salvation of man.
14  Through God we shall do mightily: and he shall bring to nothing them that afflict us.

[b]Psalms 61:[/b]

1  Unto the end, in hymns, for David.
2  Hear, O God, my supplication: be attentive to my prayer,
3  To thee have I cried from the ends of the earth: when my heart was in anguish, thou hast exalted me on a rock. Thou hast conducted me;
4  for thou hast been my hope; a tower of strength against the face of the enemy.
5  In thy tabernacle I shall dwell for ever: I shall be protected under the covert of thy wings.
6  For thou, my God, hast heard my prayer: thou hast given an inheritance to them that fear thy name.
7  Thou wilt add days to the days of the king: his years even to generation and generation.
8  He abideth for ever in the sight of God: his mercy and truth who shall search ?
9  So will I sing a psalm to thy name for ever and ever: that I may pay my vows from day to day.

[b]Psalms 62:[/b]

1  Unto the end, for Idithun, a psalm of David.
2  Shall not my soul be subject to God? for from him is my salvation.
3  For he is my God and my saviour: he is my protector, I shall be moved no more.
4  How long do you rush in upon a man? you all kill, as if you were thrusting down a leaning wall, and a tottering fence.
5  But they have thought to cast away my price; I ran in thirst: they blessed with their mouth, but cursed with their heart.
6  But be thou, O my soul, subject to God: for from him is my patience.
7  For he is my God and my saviour: he is my helper, I shall not be moved.
8  In God is my salvation and my glory: he is the God of my help, and my hope is in God.
9  Trust in him, all ye congregation of people: pour out your hearts before him. God is our helper for ever.
10  But vain are the sons of men, the sons of men are liars in the balances: that by vanity they may together deceive.
11  Trust not in iniquity, and cover not robberies: if riches abound, set not your heart upon them.
12  God hath spoken once, these two things have I heard, that power belongeth to God,
13  and mercy to thee, O Lord; for thou wilt render to every man according to his works.

[b]Psalms 63:[/b]

1  A psalm of David when he was in the desert of Edom.
2  O God, my God, to thee do I watch at break of day. For thee my soul hath thirsted; for thee my flesh, O how many ways!
3  In a desert land, and where there is no way, and no water: so in the sanctuary have I come before thee, to see thy power and thy glory.
4  For thy mercy is better than lives: thee my lips shall praise.
5  Thus will I bless thee all my life long: and in thy name I will lift up my hands.
6  Let my soul be filled as with marrow and fatness: and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips.
7  If I have remembered thee upon my bed, I will meditate on thee in the morning:
8  because thou hast been my helper. And I will rejoice under the covert of thy wings:
9  my soul hath stuck close to thee: thy right hand hath received me.
10  But they have sought my soul in vain, they shall go into the lower parts of the earth:
11  They shall be delivered into the hands of the sword, they shall be the portions of foxes.
12  But the king shall rejoice in God, all they shall be praised that swear by him: because the mouth is stopped of them that speak wicked things.

[b]Psalms 64:[/b]

1  Unto the end, a psalm for David.
2  Hear, O God, my prayer, when I make supplication to thee: deliver my soul from the fear of the enemy.
3  Thou hast protected me from the assembly of the malignant; from the multitude of the workers of iniquity.
4  For they have whetted their tongues like a sword; they have bent their bow a bitter thing,
5  to shoot in secret the undefiled.
6  They will shoot at him on a sudden, and will not fear: they are resolute in wickedness. They have talked of hiding snares; they have said: Who shall see them?
7  They have searched after iniquities: they have failed in their search. Man shall come to a deep heart:
8  and God shall be exalted. The arrows of children are their wounds:
9  and their tongues against them are made weak. All that saw them were troubled;
10  and every man was afraid. And they declared the works of God: and understood his doings.
11  The just shall rejoice in the Lord, and shall hope in him: and all the upright in heart shall be praised.