An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

[b]Psalms 38:[/b]

1  in finem Idithun canticum David
2  dixi custodiam vias meas ut non delinquam in lingua mea posui ori meo custodiam cum consisteret peccator adversum me
3  obmutui et humiliatus sum et silui a bonis et dolor meus renovatus est
4  concaluit cor meum intra me et in meditatione mea exardescet ignis
5  locutus sum in lingua mea notum fac mihi Domine finem meum et numerum dierum meorum quis est ut sciam quid desit mihi
6  ecce mensurabiles posuisti dies meos et substantia mea tamquam nihilum ante te verumtamen universa vanitas omnis homo vivens diapsalma
7  verumtamen in imagine pertransit homo sed et frustra conturbatur thesaurizat et ignorat cui congregabit ea
8  et nunc quae est expectatio mea nonne Dominus et substantia mea apud te est
9  ab omnibus iniquitatibus meis erue me obprobrium insipienti dedisti me
10  obmutui et non aperui os meum quoniam tu fecisti
11  amove a me plagas tuas
12  a fortitudine manus tuae ego defeci in increpationibus propter iniquitatem corripuisti hominem et tabescere fecisti sicut araneam animam eius verumtamen vane conturbatur omnis homo diapsalma
13  exaudi orationem meam Domine et deprecationem meam auribus percipe lacrimas meas ne sileas quoniam advena sum apud te et peregrinus sicut omnes patres mei
14  remitte mihi ut refrigerer priusquam abeam et amplius non ero

[b]Psalms 39:[/b]

1  in finem David psalmus
2  expectans expectavi Dominum et intendit mihi
3  et exaudivit preces meas et eduxit me de lacu miseriae et de luto fecis et statuit super petram pedes meos et direxit gressus meos
4  et inmisit in os meum canticum novum carmen Deo nostro videbunt multi et timebunt et sperabunt in Domino
5  beatus vir cuius est nomen Domini spes ipsius et non respexit in vanitates et insanias falsas
6  multa fecisti tu Domine Deus meus mirabilia tua et cogitationibus tuis non est qui similis sit tibi adnuntiavi et locutus sum multiplicati sunt super numerum
7  sacrificium et oblationem noluisti aures autem perfecisti mihi holocaustum et pro peccato non postulasti
8  tunc dixi ecce venio in capite libri scriptum est de me
9  ut facerem voluntatem tuam Deus meus volui et legem tuam in medio cordis mei
10  adnuntiavi iustitiam in ecclesia magna ecce labia mea non prohibebo Domine tu scisti
11  iustitiam tuam non abscondi in corde meo veritatem tuam et salutare tuum dixi non abscondi misericordiam tuam et veritatem tuam a concilio multo
12  tu autem Domine ne longe facias miserationes tuas a me misericordia tua et veritas tua semper susceperunt me
13  quoniam circumdederunt me mala quorum non est numerus conprehenderunt me iniquitates meae et non potui ut viderem multiplicatae sunt super capillos capitis mei et cor meum dereliquit me
14  conplaceat tibi Domine ut eruas me Domine ad adiuvandum me respice
15  confundantur et revereantur simul qui quaerunt animam meam ut auferant eam convertantur retrorsum et revereantur qui volunt mihi mala
16  ferant confestim confusionem suam qui dicunt mihi euge euge
17  exultent et laetentur super te omnes quaerentes te et dicant semper magnificetur Dominus qui diligunt salutare tuum
18  ego autem mendicus sum et pauper Dominus sollicitus est mei adiutor meus et protector meus tu es Deus meus ne tardaveris

[b]Psalms 40:[/b]

1 in finem psalmus David
2 beatus qui intellegit super egenum et pauperem in die mala liberabit eum Dominus
3 Dominus conservet eum et vivificet eum et beatum faciat eum in terra et non tradat eum in animam inimicorum eius
4 Dominus opem ferat illi super lectum doloris eius universum stratum eius versasti in infirmitate eius
5 ego dixi Domine miserere mei sana animam meam quoniam peccavi tibi
6 inimici mei dixerunt mala mihi quando morietur et peribit nomen eius
7 et si ingrediebatur ut videret vane loquebatur cor eius congregavit iniquitatem sibi egrediebatur foras et loquebatur
8 in id ipsum adversum me susurrabant omnes inimici mei adversus me cogitabant mala mihi
9 verbum iniquum constituerunt adversus me numquid qui dormit non adiciet ut resurgat
10 etenim homo pacis meae in quo speravi qui edebat panes meos magnificavit super me subplantationem
11 tu autem Domine miserere mei et resuscita me et retribuam eis
12 in hoc cognovi quoniam voluisti me quoniam non gaudebit inimicus meus super me
13 me autem propter innocentiam suscepisti et confirmasti me in conspectu tuo in aeternum
14 benedictus Dominus Deus Israhel a saeculo et in saeculum fiat fiat

journeyman

Psalm 41 (Douay-Rheims)

The fervent desire of the just after God: hope in afflictions.

1 Unto the end, understanding for the sons of Core.
2 As the hart panteth after the fountains of water; so my soul panteth after thee, O God.
3 My soul hath thirsted after the strong living God; when shall I come and appear before the face of God?
4 My tears have been my bread day and night, whilst it is said to me daily: Where is thy God?
5 These things I remembered, and poured out my soul in me: for I shall go over into the place of the wonderful tabernacle, even to the house of God: With the voice of joy and praise; the noise of one feasting.
6 Why art thou sad, O my soul? and why dost thou trouble me? Hope in God, for I will still give praise to him: the salvation of my countenance,
7 And my God. My soul is troubled within my self: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan and Hermoniim, from the little hill.
8 Deep calleth on deep, at the noise of thy flood-gates. All thy heights and thy billows have passed over me.
9 In the daytime the Lord hath commanded his mercy; and a canticle to him in the night. With me is prayer to the God of my life.
10 I will say to God: Thou art my support. Why hast thou forgotten me? and why go I mourning, whilst my enemy afflicteth me?
11 Whilst my bones are broken, my enemies who trouble me have reproached me; Whilst they say to me day be day: Where is thy God?
12 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why dost thou disquiet me? Hope thou in God, for I will still give praise to him: the salvation of my countenance, and my God.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 42 (Douay-Rheims)

The prophet aspires after the temple and altar of God.

A psalm for David.

1 Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation that is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man.
2 For thou art God my strength: why hast thou cast me off? and why do I go sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?
3 Send forth thy light and thy truth: they have conducted me, and brought me unto thy holy hill, and into thy tabernacles.
4 And I will go in to the altar of God: to God who giveth joy to my youth.
5 To thee, O God my God, I will give praise upon the harp: why art thou sad, O my soul? and why dost thou disquiet me?
6 Hope in God, for I will still give praise to him: the salvation of my countenance, and my God.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1567860' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:15 AM']Don't mean to interrupt, but can we do languages other than Latin?[/quote]

Why ever not . . . I tend to use a more elderly form of English . . . but if you read the psalms in another language, use it

Psalm 43 Douay-Rheims)

The Church commemorates former favours, and present afflictions; under which she prays for succour.

1 Unto the end, for the sons of Core, to give understanding.
2 We have heard, O God, with our ears: our fathers have declared to us, The work thou hast wrought in their days, and in the days of old.
3 Thy hand destroyed the Gentiles, and thou plantedst them: thou didst afflict the people and cast them out.
4 For they got not the possession of the land by their own sword: neither did their own arm save them. But thy right hand and thy arm, and the light of thy countenance: because thou wast pleased with them.
5 Thou art thyself my king and my God, who commandest the saving of Jacob.
6 Through thee we will push down our enemies with the horn: and through thy name we will despise them that rise up against us.
7 For I will not trust in my bow: neither shall my sword save me.
8 But thou hast saved us from them that afflict us: and hast put them to shame that hate (don't hate, appreciate) us.
9 In God shall we glory all the day long: and in thy name we will give praise for ever.
10 But now thou hast cast us off, and put us to shame: and thou, O God, wilt not go out with our armies.
11 Thou hast made us turn our back to our enemies: and they that hated us plundered for themselves.
12 Thou hast given us up like sheep to be eaten: thou hast scattered us among the nations.
13 Thou hast sold thy people for no price: and there was no reckoning in the exchange of them.
14 Thou hast made us a reproach to our neighbours, a scoff and derision to them that are round about us.
15 Thou hast made us a byword among the Gentiles: a shaking of the head among the people.
16 All the day long my shame is before me: and the confusion of my face hath covered me,
17 At the voice of him that reproacheth and detracteth me: at the face of the enemy and persecutor.
18 All these things have come upon us, yet we have not forgotten thee: and we have not done wickedly in thy covenant.
19 And our heart hath not turned back: neither hast thou turned aside our steps from thy way.
20 For thou hast humbled us in the place of affliction: and the shadow of death hath covered us.
21 If we have forgotten the name of our God, and if we have spread forth our hands to a strange god:
22 Shall not God search out these things: for he knoweth the secrets of the heart. Because for thy sake we are killed all the day long: we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.
23 Arise, why sleepest thou, O Lord? arise, and cast us not off to the end.
24 Why turnest thou thy face away? and forgettest our want and our trouble?
25 For our soul is humbled down to the dust (the ultra-handsome): our belly cleaveth to the earth.
26 Arise, O Lord, help us and redeem us for thy name's sake.

My German Bible's pslams seem to be numbered differently... the one you posted is 44 in mine, so I'll just do the next one which is probably 44 in yours, but 45 in mine. :)

Ein Lied zur Hochzeit des Königs

2 Mein Herz fließt über von froher Kunde,
Ich weihe mein Lied dem König
Meine Zunge gleicht dem Griffel des flingken Schreibers.
3 Du bist der Schönste von allen Menschen,
Anmut ist ausgegossen über deine Lippen;
Darum hat Gott dich für immer gesegnet.

4 Gürte, du Held, dein Schwert um die Hüfte,
Kleide dich in Hoheit und Herrlichkeit!
5 Zieh aus mit Glück, kämpfe für Wahrheit und Recht!
Furchtgebietende Taten soll dein rechter Arm dich lehren.
6 Deine Pfeile sind scharf, dir unterliegen die Völker,
Die Feinde des Königs verlieren den Mut.

7 Dein Thron, du Göttlicher, steht für immer und ewig;
Das Zepter deiner Herrschaft ist ein gerechtes Zepter.
8 Du liebst das Recht und haßt das Unrecht,
Darum hat Gott, dein Gott, dich gesalbt mit dem Öl der Freude
Wie keinen deiner Gefährten.
9 Von Myrrhe, Aloë und Kassia duften all deine Gewänder,
Aus Elfenbeinhallen erfreut dich Saitenspiel.
10 Königstöchter gehen dir entgegen,
Die Braut steht dir zur Rechten im Schmuck von Ofirgold.

11 Höre, Tochter, sieh her und neige dein Ohr,
Vergiß dein Volk und dein Vaterhaus!
12 Der König verlangt nach deiner Schönheit;
Er ist ja dein Herr, verneig dich vor ihm!
13 Die Töchter von Tyrus kommen mit Gaben,
Deine Gunst begehren die Edlen des Volkes.
14 Die Königstochter ist herrlich geschmückt,
Ihr Gewand ist durchwirkt mit Gold und Perlen.

15 Man geleitet sie in buntgestickten Kleidern zum König,
Jungfrauen sind ihr Gefolge,
Ihre Freundinnen führt man zu dir.
16 Man geleitet sie mit Freude und Jubel,
Sie ziehen ein in den Palast des Königs.

17 An die Stelle deiner Väter treten einst deine Söhne;
Du bestellst sie zu Fürsten im ganzen Land.
18 Ich will deinen Namen rühmen von Geschlecht zu Geschlecht;
Darum werden die Völker dich preisen immer und ewig.

BTW I have the Einheitsübersetzung, if anyone is familiar with German Bibles.

Edited by aalpha1989

KnightofChrist

Douay-Rheims Bible Psalm 45

Deus noster refugium. The church in persecution trusteth in the protection of God.

1 Unto the end, for the sons of Core, for the hidden.

2 Our God is our refuge and strength: a helper in troubles, which have found us exceedingly.

3 Therefore we will not fear, when the earth shall be troubled; and the mountains shall be removed into the heart of the sea.

4 Their waters roared and were troubled: the mountains were troubled with his strength.

5 The stream of the river maketh the city of God joyful: the most High hath sanctified his own tabernacle.

6 God is in the midst thereof, it shall not be moved: God will help it in the morning early.

7 Nations were troubled, and kingdoms were bowed down: he uttered his voice, the earth trembled.

8 The Lord of armies is with us: the God of Jacob is our protector.

9 Come and behold ye the works of the Lord: what wonders he hath done upon earth,

10 Making wars to cease even to the end of the earth. He shall destroy the bow, and break the weapons: and the shield he shall burn in the fire.

11 Be still and see that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, and I will be exalted in the earth.

12 The Lord of armies is with us: the God of Jacob is our protector.

• 3 weeks later...
journeyman

Psalm 46 English (Douay-Rheims)

The Gentiles are invited to praise God for the establishment of the kingdom of Christ.

[i]Does this psalm differ from what you were expecting? Don't be confused. There are two systems for arranging the psalms: the Septuagint and the Masoretic. We use the Septuagint system here. In the Masoretic system, which is used in most modern Bible translations, this psalm is called Psalm 47, and the previous psalm is known as Psalm 46.
[/i]

1 Unto the end, for the sons of Core.

2 O clap your hands, all ye nations: shout unto God with the voice of joy,
3 For the Lord is high, terrible: a great king over all the earth.
4 He hath subdued the people under jus; and the nations under our feet.
5 He hath chosen for us his inheritance, the beauty of Jacob which he hath love.
6 God is ascended with jubilee, and the Lord with the sound of trumpet.
7 Sing praises to our God, sing ye: sing praises to our king, sing ye.
8 For God is the king of all the earth: sing ye wisely.
9 God shall reign over the nations: God sitteth on his holy throne.
10 The princes of the people are gathered together, with the God of Abraham: for the strong gods of the earth are exceedingly exalted.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 47 English (Douay-Rheims)

God is greatly to be praised for the establishment of his Church.

1 A psalm of a canticle, for the sons of Core, on the second day of the week.

2 Great is the Lord, and exceedingly to be praised in the city of our God, in his holy mountain.
3 With the joy of the whole earth is mount Sion founded, on the sides of the north, the city of the great king.
4 In her houses shall God be known, when he shall protect her.
5 For behold the kings of the earth assembled themselves: they gathered together.
6 So they saw, and they wondered, they were troubled, they were moved:
7 Trembling took hold of them. There were pains as of a woman in labour.
8 With a vehement wind thou shalt break in pieces the ships of Tharsis.
9 As we have heard, so have we seen, in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God: God hath founded it for ever.
10 We have received thy mercy, O God, in the midst of thy temple.
11 According to thy name, O God, so also is thy praise unto the ends of the earth: thy right hand is full of justice.
12 Let mount Sion rejoice, and the daughters of Juda be glad; because of thy judgments, O Lord.
13 Surround Sion, and encompass her: tell lye in her towers.
14 Set your hearts on her strength; and distribute her houses, that ye may relate it in another generation.
15 For this is God, our God unto eternity, and for ever and ever: he shall rule us for evermore.

Psalm 48 English (Douay-Rheims)

The folly of worldlings, who live on in sin, without thinking of death or hell.

1 Unto the end, a psalm for the sons of Core.
2 Hear these things, all ye nations: give ear, all ye inhabitants of the world.
3 All you that are earthborn, and you sons of men: both rich and poor together.
4 My mouth shall speak wisdom: and the meditation of my heart understanding.
5 I will incline my ear to a parable; I will open my proposition on the psaltery.
6 Why shall I fear in the evil day? the iniquity of my heel shall encompass me.
[color="#808080"][size=1]The iniquity of my heel... That is, the iniquity of my steps or ways: or the iniquity of my pride, with which as with the heel, I have spurned and kicked at my neighbours: or the iniquity of my heel, that is, the iniquity in which I shall be found in death. The meaning of this verse is, Why should I now indulge those passions and sinful affections, or commit now those sins, which will cause me so much fear and anguish in the evil day; when the sorrows of death shall compass me, and the perils of hell shall find me?[/size][/color]
7 They that trust in their own strength, and glory in the multitude of their riches,
[color="#808080"][size=1]They that trust, etc... As much as to say, let them fear that trust in their strength or riches: for they have great reason to fear: seeing no brother or other man, how much a friend soever, can by any price or labour rescue them from death.[/size][/color]
8 No brother can redeem, nor shall man redeem: he shall not give to God his ransom,
9 Nor the price of the redemption of his soul: and shall labour for ever,
[color="#808080"][size=1]And shall labour for ever, etc... This seems to be a continuation of the foregoing sentence: as much as to say no man can by any price or ransom prolong his life, that so he may still continue to labour here, and live to the end of the world. Others understand it of the eternal sorrows, and dying life of hell, which is the dreadful consequence of dying in sin.[/size][/color]
10 And shall still live unto the end.
11 He shall not see destruction, when he shall see the wise dying: the senseless and the fool shall perish together: And they shall leave their riches to strangers:
[color="#808080"][size=1]He shall not see destruction, etc... Or, shall he not see destruction? As much as to say, however thoughtless he may be of his death, he must not expect to escape; when even the wise and the good are not exempt from dying.[/size][/color]
12 And their sepulchres shall be their houses for ever. Their dwelling places to all generations: they have called their lands by their names.
[color="#808080"][size=1]They have called, etc... That is, they have left their names on their graves, which alone remain of their lands.[/size][/color]
13 And man when he was in honour did not understand; he is compared to senseless beasts, and is become like to them.
14 This way of theirs is a stumbling block to them: and afterwards they shall delight in their mouth.
[color="#808080"][size=1]They shall delight in their mouth... Notwithstanding the wretched way in which they walk, they shall applaud themselves with their mouths, and glory in their doings.[/size][/color]
15 They are laid in hell like sheep: death shall feed upon them. And the just shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their help shall decay in hell from their glory.
[color="#808080"][size=1]In the morning... That is, in the resurrection to a new life; when the just shall judge and condemn the wicked. Ibid. From their glory... That is, when their short-lived glory in this world shall be past, and be no more.[/size][/color]
16 But God will redeem my soul from the hand of hell, when he shall receive me.
17 Be not thou afraid, when a man shall be made rich, and when the glory of his house shall be increased.
18 For when he shall die he shall take nothing away; nor shall his glory descend with him.
19 For in his lifetime his soul will be blessed: and he will praise thee when thou shalt do well to him.
20 He shall go in to the generations of his fathers: and he shall never see light.
21 Man when he was in honour did not understand: he hath been compared to senseless beasts, and made like to them.

Psalm 49 (Douay-Rheims)

The coming of Christ: who prefers virtue and inward purity before the blood of victims.

1 A psalm for Asaph.

The God of gods, the Lord hath spoken: and he hath called the earth. From the rising of the sun, to the going down thereof:
2 Out of Sion the loveliness of his beauty.
3 God shall come manifestly: our God shall come, and shall not keep silence. A fire shall burn before him: and a mighty tempest shall be round about him.
4 He shall call heaven from above, and the earth, to judge his people.
5 Gather ye together his saints to him: who set his covenant before sacrifices.
6 And the heavens shall declare his justice: for God is judge.
7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak: O Israel, and I will testify to thee: I am God, thy God.
8 I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices: and thy burnt offerings are always in my sight.
9 I will not take calves out of thy house: nor he goats out of thy flocks.
10 For all the beasts of the woods are mine: the cattle on the hills, and the oxen.
11 I know all the fowls of the air: and with me is the beauty of the field.
12 If I should be hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
13 Shall I eat the flesh of bullocks? or shall I drink the blood of goats?
14 Offer to God the sacrifice of praise: and pay thy vows to the most High.
15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
16 But to the sinner God hath said: Why dost thou declare my justices, and take my covenant in thy mouth?
17 Seeing thou hast hated discipline: and hast cast my words behind thee.
18 If thou didst see a thief thou didst run with him: and with adulterers thou hast been a partaker.
19 Thy mouth hath abounded with evil, and thy tongue framed deceits.
20 Sitting thou didst speak against thy brother, and didst lay a scandal against thy mother's son:
21 These things hast thou done, and I was silent. Thou thoughtest unjustly that I should be like to thee: but I will reprove thee, and set before thy face.
22 Understand these things, you that forget God; lest he snatch you away, and there be none to deliver you.
23 The sacrifice of praise shall glorify me: and there is the way by which I will show him the salvation of God.

fides quarens intellectum

[b]Psaume 50[/b] --[i]Psaume 51 (50) La Bible de Jerusalem[/i]

Miserere.
1 du maitre de chant. Psaume. De David. 2 Quand Natan le prophete vint a lui parce qu'il etait alle vers Bethsabee.

3 Pitie pour moi, Dieu, en ta bonte
en ta grande tendresse efface mon peche,
4 lave-moi tout entier de mon mal
et de ma faute purifie-moi.

5 Car mon peche, moi, je le connais
ma faute est devant moi sanse relache;
6 contre toi, toi seul, j'ai peche.
ce qui est mal a tes yeau, je l'ai fait.

Pour que tu montres ta justice quand tu parles
et que paraisse ta victoire quand tu juges.
7 Vois: mauvais je suis ne,
pecheur ma mere m'a concu.

8 Mais tu aimes la verite au fond de l'etre,
dans le secret tu m'enseignes la sagesse.
9 Ote mes taches avec l'hysope, je serai pur;
lave'moi, je serai blanc plus que neige.

10 Rends-moi le son de la joie et de la fete:
qu'ils dansent, les os que tu broyas!
11 Detourne ta face de mes fautes,
et tout mon mal, efface-le.

12 Dieu, cree pour moi un coeur pur,
restaure en ma poitrine un esprit ferme;
13 ne me repousse pas loin de ta face,
ne m'enleve pas ton esprit de saintete.

14 Rends-moi la joie de ton salut,
assure en moi un esprit magnanime.
15 Aux rebelles j'enseignerai tes voies,
ver toi reviendront les pecherus.

16 Affranchis-moi du sang, Dieu, Dieu de mon salut,
et me lange acclamera ta justice;
17 Seigneru, ouvre mes levres,
et ma bouch publiera ta louange,

18 Car tu ne prends aucun plaisir au sacrafice;
un holocauste, tu n'en veux pas.
19 Le sacrifice a Dieu, c'est un esprit brise;
d'un coeur brise, broye, Dieu, tu n'as point de mepris.

20 en ton bon vouloir, fais du bien a Sion:
rebatis les remparts de Jerusalem!
21 Alors tu te plairas aux sacrifices de justice
- holocauste et totale oblation -
alors on offrira de jeunes taureaux sur ton autel.