An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

[b]Psalms 27:[/b]

1  huic David ad te Domine clamabo Deus meus ne sileas a me nequando taceas a me et adsimilabor descendentibus in lacum
2  exaudi vocem deprecationis meae dum oro ad te dum extollo manus meas ad templum sanctum tuum
3  ne simul tradas me cum peccatoribus et cum operantibus iniquitatem ne perdideris me qui loquuntur pacem cum proximo suo mala autem sunt in cordibus eorum
4  da illis secundum opera ipsorum et secundum nequitiam adinventionum ipsorum secundum opera manuum eorum tribue illis redde retributionem eorum ipsis
5  quoniam non intellexerunt opera Domini et in opera manuum eius destrues illos et non aedificabis eos
6  benedictus Dominus quoniam exaudivit vocem deprecationis meae
7  Dominus adiutor meus et protector meus in ipso speravit cor meum et adiutus sum et refloruit caro mea et ex voluntate mea confitebor ei
8  Dominus fortitudo plebis suae et protector salvationum christi sui est
9  salvam fac plebem tuam et benedic hereditati tuae et rege eos et extolle eos usque in aeternum

[quote name='Rod' post='1489531' date='Mar 31 2008, 11:39 AM']Journeyman you may have answered or addressed this somewhere however my question is about why the Psalms sometimes have totally different numbers of verses depending upon the bible version? Sometimes one version has 12 verses whilst another of the same Psalm has 23? I also notice it between the Latin versions and the English translations. Can you please tell us why?[/quote]

Not with 100% certainty . . .
Some translations number the introductory verse while others don't

Some translations are based on the Hebrew Psalms, while others are based on the Alexandrian Library Greek (the Septuagint) version which was a primary source for Jerome's Vulgate. The psalms were organized slightly differently, so, for example, Psalm 22 in the Hebrew is not the same psalm as Psalm 22 in the Greek . . . since it isn't the same psalm, it would be highly coincidental if the verse count did not differ

An example would be the two psalms above (numbered 25 and 26), which are the same psalm (no, I don't know Latin) and have the same number of verses

Does that help?

(more detail here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=70606&view=findpost&p=1467782)"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...&p=1467782)[/url]

Edited by journeyman

Psalm 26 DOUAY-RHEIMS

[size=2]Does this psalm differ from what you were expecting? Don't be confused. There are two systems for arranging the psalms: the Septuagint and the Masoretic. We use the Septuagint system here. [[i]here would be the New Advent website bible - [url="http://www.newadvent.org/bible/psa026.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/bible/psa026.htm[/url][/i]] In the Masoretic system, which is used by most modern Bible translations, this psalm is called Psalm 27, and the previous psalm is known as Psalm 26.[/size]

Dominus illuminatio. David's faith and hope in God.

1 The psalm of David before he was anointed.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?
2 Whilst the wicked draw near against me, to eat my flesh. My enemies that trouble me, have themselves been weakened, and have fallen.
3 If armies in camp should stand together against me, my heart shall not fear. If a battle should rise up against me, in this will I be confident.
4 One thing I have asked of the Lord, this will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. That I may see the delight of the Lord, and may visit his temple.
5 For he hath hidden me in his tabernacle; in the day of evils, he hath protected me in the secret place of his tabernacle.
6 He hath exalted me upon a rock: and now he hath lifted up my head above my enemies. I have gone round, and have offered up in his tabernacle a sacrifice of jubilation: I will sing, and recite a psalm to the Lord.
7 Hear, O Lord, my voice, with which I have cried to thee: have mercy on me and hear me.
8 My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee: thy face, O Lord, will I still seek.
9 Turn not away thy face from me; decline not in thy wrath from thy servant. Be thou my helper, forsake me not; do not thou despise me, O God my Saviour.
10 For my father and my mother have left me: but the Lord hath taken me up.
11 Set me, O Lord, a law in thy way, and guide me in the right path, because of my enemies.
12 Deliver me not over to the will of them that trouble me; for unjust witnesses have risen up against me; and iniquity hath lied to itself.
13 I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
14 Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.

Psalm 27 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Ad te, Domine, clamabo. David's prayer that his enemies may not prevail over him.

1 A psalm for David himself.

Unto thee will I cry, O Lord: O my God, be not thou silent to me: lest if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.
2 Hear, O Lord, the voice of my supplication, when I pray to thee; when I lift up my hands to thy holy temple.
3 Draw me not away together with the wicked; and with the workers of iniquity destroy me not: Who speak peace with their neighbour, but evils are in their hearts.
4 Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward.
5 Because they have not understood the works of the Lord, and the operations of his hands: thou shalt destroy them, and shalt not build them up.
6 Blessed be the Lord, for he hath heard the voice of my supplication.
7 The Lord is my helper and my protector: in him hath my heart confided, and I have been helped. And my flesh hath flourished again, and with my will I will give praise to him.
8 The Lord is the strength of his people, and the protector of the salvation of his anointed.
9 Save, O Lord, thy people, and bless thy inheritance: and rule them and exalt them for ever.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

Psalm 28 DOUAY-RHEIMS
[size=1]
Does this psalm differ from what you were expecting? Don't be confused. There are two systems for arranging the psalms: the Septuagint and the Masoretic. We use the Septuagint system here. In the Masoretic system, which is used by most modern Bible translations, this psalm is called Psalm 29, and the previous psalm is known as Psalm 28.[/size]

Afferte Domino. An invitation to glorify God, with a commemoration of his mighty works.

1 A psalm for David, at the finishing of the tabernacle.

Bring to the Lord, O ye children of God: bring to the Lord the offspring of rams.
2 Bring to the Lord glory and honour: bring to the Lord glory to his name: adore ye the Lord in his holy court.
3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of majesty hath thundered, The Lord is upon many waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is in power; the voice of the Lord in magnificence.
5 The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars: yea, the Lord shall break the cedars of Libanus.
6 And shall reduce them to pieces, as a calf of Libanus, and as the beloved son of unicorns. [size=1]Shall reduce them to pieces, etc... In Hebrew, shall make them to skip like a calf. The psalmist here describes the effects of thunder (which he calls the voice of the Lord) which sometimes breaks down the tallest and strongest trees; and makes their broken branches skip, etc. All this is to be understood mystically of the powerful voice of God's word in his church; which has broken the pride of the great ones of this world, and brought many of them meekly and joyfully to submit their necks to the sweet yoke of Christ.[/size]
7 The voice of the Lord divideth the flame of fire:
8 The voice of the Lord shaketh the desert: and the Lord shall shake the desert of Cades.
9 The voice of the Lord prepareth the stags: and he will discover the thick woods: and in his temple all shall speak his glory.
10 The Lord maketh the flood to dwell: and the Lord shall sit king for ever. The Lord will give strength to his people: the Lord will bless his people with peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 29 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Exaltabo te, Domine. David praiseth God for his deliverance, and his merciful dealings with him.

1 A psalm of a canticle, at the dedication of David's house.

2 I will extol thee, O Lord, for thou hast upheld me: and hast not made my enemies to rejoice over me.
3 O Lord my God, I have cried to thee, and thou hast healed me.
4 Thou hast brought forth, O Lord, my soul from hell: thou hast saved me from them that go down into the pit.
5 Sing to the Lord, O ye his saints: and give praise to the memory of his holiness.
6 For wrath is in his indignation; and life in his good will. In the evening weeping shall have place, and in the morning gladness.
7 And in my abundance I said: I shall never be moved.
8 O Lord, in thy favour, thou gavest strength to my beauty. Thou turnedst away thy face from me, and I became troubled.
9 To thee, O Lord, will I cry: and I will make supplication to my God.
10 What profit is there in my blood, whilst I go down to corruption? Shall dust (the ultra-handsome) confess to thee, or declare thy truth?
11 The Lord hath heard, and hath had mercy on me: the Lord became my helper.
12 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into joy: thou hast cut my sackcloth, and hast compassed me with gladness:
13 To the end that my glory may sing to thee, and I may not regret: O Lord my God, I will give praise to thee for ever.

Thanks for the explanation It makes a lot of sence. Thanks again/

[b]Psalms 29:[/b]

1  psalmus cantici in dedicatione domus David
2  exaltabo te Domine quoniam suscepisti me nec delectasti inimicos meos super me
3  Domine Deus meus clamavi ad te et sanasti me
4  Domine eduxisti ab inferno animam meam salvasti me a descendentibus in lacum
5  psallite Domino sancti eius et confitemini memoriae sanctitatis eius
6  quoniam ira in indignatione eius et vita in voluntate eius ad vesperum demorabitur fletus et ad matutinum laetitia
7  ego autem dixi in abundantia mea non movebor in aeternum
8  Domine in voluntate tua praestitisti decori meo virtutem avertisti faciem tuam et factus sum conturbatus
9  ad te Domine clamabo et ad Deum meum deprecabor
10  quae utilitas in sanguine meo dum descendo in corruptionem numquid confitebitur tibi pulvis aut adnuntiabit veritatem tuam
11  audivit Dominus et misertus est mei Dominus factus est adiutor meus
12  convertisti planctum meum in gaudium mihi conscidisti saccum meum et circumdedisti me laetitia
13  ut cantet tibi gloria mea et non conpungar Domine Deus meus in aeternum confitebor tibi

[b]Psalms 30:[/b]

1  in finem psalmus David
2  in te Domine speravi non confundar in aeternum in iustitia tua libera me
3  inclina ad me aurem tuam adcelera ut eruas me esto mihi in Deum protectorem et in domum refugii ut salvum me facias
4  quoniam fortitudo mea et refugium meum es tu et propter nomen tuum deduces me et enutries me
5  educes me de laqueo hoc quem absconderunt mihi quoniam tu es protector meus
6  in manus tuas commendabo spiritum meum redemisti me Domine Deus veritatis
7  odisti observantes vanitates supervacue ego autem in Domino speravi
8  exultabo et laetabor in misericordia tua quoniam respexisti humilitatem meam salvasti de necessitatibus animam meam
9  nec conclusisti me in manibus inimici statuisti in loco spatioso pedes meos
10  miserere mei Domine quoniam tribulor conturbatus est in ira oculus meus anima mea et venter meus
11  quoniam defecit in dolore vita mea et anni mei in gemitibus infirmata est in paupertate virtus mea et ossa mea conturbata sunt
12  super omnes inimicos meos factus sum obprobrium et vicinis meis valde et timor notis meis qui videbant me foras fugerunt a me
13  oblivioni datus sum tamquam mortuus a corde factus sum tamquam vas perditum
14  quoniam audivi vituperationem multorum commorantium in circuitu in eo dum convenirent simul adversus me accipere animam meam consiliati sunt
15  ego autem in te speravi Domine dixi Deus meus es tu
16  in manibus tuis sortes meae eripe me de manu inimicorum meorum et a persequentibus me
17  inlustra faciem tuam super servum tuum salvum me fac in misericordia tua
18  Domine ne confundar quoniam invocavi te erubescant impii et deducantur in infernum
19  muta fiant labia dolosa quae loquuntur adversus iustum iniquitatem in superbia et in abusione
20  quam magna multitudo dulcedinis tuae Domine quam abscondisti timentibus te perfecisti eis qui sperant in te in conspectu filiorum hominum
21  abscondes eos in abdito faciei tuae a conturbatione hominum proteges eos in tabernaculo a contradictione linguarum
22  benedictus Dominus quoniam mirificavit misericordiam suam mihi in civitate munita
23  ego autem dixi in excessu mentis meae proiectus sum a facie oculorum tuorum ideo exaudisti vocem orationis meae dum clamarem ad te
24  diligite Dominum omnes sancti eius quoniam veritates requirit Dominus et retribuit abundanter facientibus superbiam
25  viriliter agite et confortetur cor vestrum omnes qui speratis in Domino

[b]Psalms 31:[/b]

1  huic David intellectus beati quorum remissae sunt iniquitates et quorum tecta sunt peccata
2  beatus vir cui non inputabit Dominus peccatum nec est in spiritu eius dolus
3  quoniam tacui inveteraverunt ossa mea dum clamarem tota die
4  quoniam die ac nocte gravata est super me manus tua conversus sum in aerumna mea dum configitur mihi spina diapsalma
5  delictum meum cognitum tibi feci et iniustitiam meam non abscondi dixi confitebor adversus me iniustitiam meam Domino et tu remisisti impietatem peccati mei diapsalma
6  pro hac orabit ad te omnis sanctus in tempore oportuno verumtamen in diluvio aquarum multarum ad eum non adproximabunt
7  tu es refugium meum a tribulatione quae circumdedit me exultatio mea erue me a circumdantibus me diapsalma
8  intellectum tibi dabo et instruam te in via hac qua gradieris firmabo super te oculos meos
9  nolite fieri sicut equus et mulus quibus non est intellectus in camo et freno maxillas eorum constringe qui non adproximant ad te
10  multa flagella peccatoris sperantem autem in Domino misericordia circumdabit
11  laetamini in Domino et exultate iusti et gloriamini omnes recti corde

Psalm 30 DOUAY-RHEIMS

In te, Domine, speravi. A prayer of a just man under affliction.

1 Unto the end, a psalm for David, in an ecstasy.

2 In thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me never be confounded: deliver me in thy justice.
3 Bow down thy ear to me: make haste to deliver me. Be thou unto me a God, a protector, and a house of refuge, to save me.
4 For thou art my strength and my refuge; and for thy name's sake thou wilt lead me, and nourish me.
5 Thou wilt bring me out of this snare, which they have hidden for me: for thou art my protector.
6 Into thy hands I commend my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, the God of truth.
7 Thou hast hated them that regard vanities, to no purpose. But I have hoped in the Lord:
8 I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy. For thou hast regarded my humility, thou hast saved my soul out of distresses.
9 And thou hast not shut me up in the hands of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a spacious place.
10 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am afflicted: my eye is troubled with wrath, my soul, and my belly:
11 For my life is wasted with grief: and my years in sighs. My strength is weakened through poverty and my bones are disturbed.
12 I am become a reproach among all my enemies, and very much to my neighbours; and a fear to my acquaintance. They that saw me without fled from me.
13 I am forgotten as one dead from the heart. I am become as a vessel that is destroyed.
14 For I have heard the blame of many that dwell round about. While they assembled together against me, they consulted to take away my life.
15 But I have put my trust in thee, O Lord: I said: Thou art my God.
16 My lots are in thy hands. Deliver me out of the hands of my enemies; and from them that persecute me.
17 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; save me in thy mercy.
18 Let me not be confounded, O Lord, for I have called upon thee. Let the wicked be ashamed, and be brought down to hell.
19 Let deceitful lips be made dumb. Which speak iniquity against the just, with pride and abuse.
20 O how great is the multitude of thy sweetness, O Lord, which thou hast hidden for them that fear thee! Which thou hast wrought for them that hope in thee, in the sight of the sons of men.
21 Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy face, from the disturbance of men. Thou shalt protect them in thy tabernacle from the contradiction of tongues.
22 Blessed be the Lord, for he hath shown his wonderful mercy to me in a fortified city.
23 But I said in the excess of my mind: I am cast away from before thy eyes. Therefore thou hast heard the voice of my prayer, when I cried to thee.
24 O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord will require truth, and will repay them abundantly that act proudly.
25 Do ye manfully, and let your heart be strengthened, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Psalm 31 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Beati quorum. The second penitential psalm.

1 To David himself, understanding.

Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord hath not imputed sin, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
3 Because I was silent my bones grew old; whilst I cried out all the day long.
[color="#0000FF"][size=1]Because I was silent, etc... That is, whilst I kept silence, by concealing, or refusing to confess my sins, thy hand was heavy upon me, etc.[/size][/color]
4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: I am turned in my anguish, whilst the thorn is fastened.
[color="#0000FF"][size=1]I am turned, etc... That is, I turn and roll about in my bed to seek for ease in my pain whilst the thorn of thy justice pierces my flesh, and sticks fast in me. Or, I am turned: that is, I am converted to thee, my God, by being brought to a better understanding by thy chastisements. In the Hebrew it is, my moisture is turned into the droughts of the summer.
[/size][/color] 5 I have acknowledged my sin to thee, and my injustice I have not concealed. I said I will confess against my self my injustice to the Lord: and thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my sin.
6 For this shall every one that is holy pray to thee in a seasonable time. And yet in a flood of many waters, they shall not come nigh unto him.
7 Thou art my refuge from the trouble which hath encompassed me: my joy, deliver me from them that surround me.
8 I will give thee understanding, and I will instruct thee in this way, in which thou shalt go: I will fix my eyes upon thee.
9 Do not become like the horse and the mule, who have no understanding. With bit and bridle bind fast their jaws, who come not near unto thee.
10 Many are the scourges of the sinner, but mercy shall encompass him that hopeth in the Lord.
11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye just, and glory, all ye right of heart.

Psalm 32 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Exultate, justi. An exhortation to praise God, and to trust in him.

1 A psalm for David.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye just: praise becometh the upright.
2 Give praise to the Lord on the harp; sing to him with the psaltery, the instrument of ten strings.
3 Sing to him a new canticle, sing well unto him with a loud noise.
4 For the word of the Lord is right, and all his works are done with faithfulness.
5 He loveth mercy and judgment; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were established; and all the power of them by the spirit of his mouth:
7 Gathering together the waters of the sea, as in a vessel; laying up the depths in storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord, and let all the inhabitants of the world be in awe of him.
9 For he spoke and they were made: he commanded and they were created.
10 The Lord bringeth to nought the counsels of nations; and he rejecteth the devices of people, and casteth away the counsels of princes.
11 But the counsel of the Lord standeth for ever: the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord: the people whom he hath chosen for his inheritance.
13 The Lord hath looked from heaven: he hath beheld all the sons of men.
14 From his habitation which he hath prepared, he hath looked upon all that dwell on the earth.
15 He who hath made the hearts of every one of them: who understandeth all their works.
16 The king is not saved by a great army: nor shall the giant be saved by his own great strength.
17 Vain is the horse for safety: neither shall he be saved by the abundance of his strength.
18 Behold the eyes of the Lord are on them that fear him: and on them that hope in his mercy.
19 To deliver their souls from death; and feed them in famine.
20 Our soul waiteth for the Lord: for he is our helper and protector.
21 For in him our heart shall rejoice: and in his holy name we have trusted.
22 Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have hoped in thee.

Psalm 33 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Benedicam Dominum. An exhortation to the praise, and service of God.

1 For David, when he changed his countenance before Achimelech, who dismissed him, and he went his way. [1 Samuel 21.]

2 I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall be always in my mouth.
3 In the Lord shall my soul be praised: let the meek hear and rejoice.
4 O magnify the Lord with me; and let us extol his name together.
5 I sought the Lord, and he heard me; and he delivered me from all my troubles.
6 Come ye to him and be enlightened: and your faces shall not be confounded.
7 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him: and saved him out of all his troubles.
8 The angel of the Lord shall encamp round about them that fear him: and shall deliver them.
9 O taste, and see that the Lord is sweet: blessed is the man that hopeth in him.
10 Fear the Lord, all ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
11 The rich have wanted, and have suffered hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not be deprived of any good.
12 Come, children, hearken to me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
13 Who is the man that desireth life: who liveth to see good days?
14 Keep thy tongue form evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
15 Turn away from evil and do good: seek after peace and pursue it.
16 The eyes of the Lord are upon the just: and his ears unto their prayers.
17 But the countenance of the Lord is against them that do evil things: to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
18 The just cried, and the Lord heard them: and delivered them out of all their troubles.
19 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a contrite heart: and he will save the humble of spirit.
20 Many are the afflictions of the just; but out of them all will the Lord deliver them.
21 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a contrite heart: and he will save the humble of spirit.
22 The death of the wicked is very evil: and they that hate (don't hate, appreciate) the just shall be guilty.
23 The Lord will redeem the souls of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall offend.

journeyman

Psalm 34 DOUAY-RHEIMS

Judica, Domine, nocentes me.
David, in the person of Christ, prayeth against his persecutors: prophetically foreshowing the punishments that shall fall upon them.

1 For David himself.

Judge thou, O Lord, them that wrong me: overthrow them that fight against me.
2 Take hold of arms and shield: and rise up to help me.
3 Bring out the sword, and shut up the way against them that persecute me: say to my soul: I am thy salvation.
4 Let them be confounded and ashamed that seek after my soul. Let them be turned back and be confounded that devise evil against me.
5 Let them become as dust (the ultra-handsome) before the wind: and let the angel of the Lord straiten them.
6 Let their way become dark and slippery; and let the angel of the Lord pursue them.
7 For without cause they have hidden their net for me unto destruction: without cause they have upbraided my soul.
8 Let the snare which he knoweth not come upon him: and let the net which he hath hidden catch him: and into that very snare let them fall.
9 But my soul shall rejoice in the Lord; and shall be delighted in his salvation.
10 All my bones shall say: Lord, who is like to thee? Who deliverest the poor from the hand of them that are stronger than he; the needy and the poor from them that strip him.
11 Unjust witnesses rising up have asked me things I knew not.
12 They repaid me evil for good: to the depriving me of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were troublesome to me, I was clothed with haircloth. I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer shall be turned into my bosom.
14 As a neighbour and as an own brother, so did I please: as one mourning and sorrowful so was I humbled.
15 But they rejoiced against me, and came together: scourges were gathered together upon me, and I knew not.
16 They were separated, and repented not: they tempted me, they scoffed at me with scorn: they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
17 Lord, when wilt thou look upon me? rescue thou my soul from their malice: my only one from the lions.
18 I will give thanks to thee in a great church; I will praise thee in a strong people.
19 Let not them that are my enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: who have hated me without cause, and wink with the eyes.
20 For they spoke indeed peaceably to me; and speaking in the anger of the earth they devised guile.
21 And they opened their mouth wide against me; they said: Well done, well done, our eyes have seen it.
22 Thou hast seen, O Lord, be not thou silent: O Lord, depart not from me.
23 Arise, and be attentive to my judgment: to my cause, my God, and my Lord.
24 Judge me, O Lord my God according to thy justice, and let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their hearts: It is well, it is well, to our mind: neither let them say: We have swallowed him up.
26 Let them blush: and be ashamed together, who rejoice at my evils. Let them be clothed with confusion and shame, who speak great things against me.
27 Let them rejoice and be glad, who are well pleased with my justice, and let them say always: The Lord be magnified, who delights in the peace of his servant.
28 And my tongue shall meditate thy justice, thy praise all the day long.

• 2 weeks later...
journeyman

Psalm 35 (Douay-Rheims)

The malice of sinners, and the goodness of God.

1 Unto the end, for the servant of God, David himself.

2 The unjust hath said within himself, that he would sin: there is no fear of God before his eyes.
3 For in his sight he hath done deceitfully, that his iniquity may be found unto hatred.
4 The words of his mouth are iniquity and guile: he would not understand that he might do well.
5 He hath devised iniquity on his bed, he hath set himself on every way that is not good: but evil he hath not hated.
6 O Lord, thy mercy is in heaven, and thy truth reacheth even to the clouds.
7 Thy justice is as the mountains of God, thy judgments are a great deep. Men and beasts thou wilt preserve, O Lord:
8 O how hast thou multiplied thy mercy, O God! But the children of men shall put their trust under the covert of thy wings.
9 They shall be inebriated with the plenty of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the torrent of thy pleasure.
10 For with thee is the fountain of life; and in thy light we shall see light.
11 Extend thy mercy to them that know thee, and thy justice to them that are right in heart.
12 Let not the foot of pride come to me, and let not the hand of the sinner move me.
13 There the workers of iniquity are fallen, they are cast out, and could not stand.

• 2 weeks later...
journeyman

Psalm 36 (Douay-Rheims)

An exhortation to despise this world; and the short prosperity of the wicked; and to trust in Providence.

1 Be not emulous of evildoers; nor envy them that work iniquity.
2 For they shall shortly wither away as grass, and as the green herbs shall quickly fall.
3 Trust in the Lord, and do good, and dwell in the land, and thou shalt be fed with its riches.
4 Delight in the Lord, and he will give thee the requests of thy heart.
5 Commit thy way to the Lord, and trust in him, and he will do it.
6 And he will bring forth thy justice as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
7 Be subject to the Lord and pray to him. Envy not the man who prospereth in his way; the man who doth unjust things.
8 Cease from anger, and leave rage; have no emulation to do evil.
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but they that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the land.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: and thou shalt seek his place, and shalt not find it.
11 But the meek shall inherit the land, and shall delight in abundance of peace.
12 The sinner shall watch the just man: and shall gnash upon him with his teeth.
13 But the Lord shall laugh at him: for he foreseeth that his day shall come.
14 The wicked have drawn out the sword: they have bent their bow. To cast down the poor and needy, to kill the upright of heart.
15 Let their sword enter into their own hearts, and let their bow be broken.
16 Better is a little to the just, than the great riches of the wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken in pieces; but the Lord strengtheneth the just.
18 The Lord knoweth the days of the undefiled; and their inheritance shall be for ever.
19 They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled:
20 Because the wicked shall perish. And the enemies of the Lord, presently after they shall be honoured and exalted, shall come to nothing and vanish like smoke.
21 The sinner shall borrow, and not pay again; but the just showeth mercy and shall give.
22 For such as bless him shall inherit the land: but such as curse him shall perish.
23 With the Lord shall the steps of a man be directed, and he shall like well his way.
24 When he shall fall he shall not be bruised, for the Lord putteth his hand under him.
25 I have been young and now am old; and I have not seen the just forsaken, nor his seed seeking bread.
26 He showeth mercy, and lendeth all the day long; and his seed shall be in blessing.
27 Decline from evil and do good, and dwell for ever and ever.
28 For the Lord loveth judgment, and will not forsake his saints: they shall be preserved for ever. The unjust shall be punished, and the seed of the wicked shall perish.
29 But the just shall inherit the land, and shall dwell therein for evermore.
30 The mouth of the just shall meditate wisdom: and his tongue shall speak judgment.
31 The law of his God is in his heart, and his steps shall not be supplanted.
32 The wicked watcheth the just man, and seeketh to put him to death,
33 But the Lord will not leave him in his hands; nor condemn him when he shall be judged.
34 Expect the Lord and keep his way: and he will exalt thee to inherit the land: when the sinners shall perish thou shalt see.
35 I have seen the wicked highly exalted, and lifted up like the cedars of Libanus.
36 And I passed by, and lo, he was not: and I sought him and his place was not found.
37 Keep innocence, and behold justice: for there are remnants for the peaceable man.
38 But the unjust shall be destroyed together: the remnants of the wicked shall perish.
39 But the salvation of the just is from the Lord, and he is their protector in the time of trouble.
40 And the Lord will help them and deliver them: and he will rescue them from the wicked, and save them because they have hoped in him.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 37 Douay-Rheims Bible

[color="#8B0000"][i]Domine, ne in furore. A prayer of a penitent for the remission of his sins. The third penitential psalm.[/i][/color]

1 A psalm for David, for a remembrance of the sabbath.
2 Rebuke me not, O Lord, in thy indignation; nor chastise me in thy wrath.
3 For thy arrows are fastened in me: and thy hand hath been strong upon me.
4 There is no health in my flesh, because of thy wrath: there is no peace for my bones, because of my sins.
5 For my iniquities are gone over my head: and as a heavy burden are become heavy upon me.
6 My sores are putrified and corrupted, because of my foolishness.
7 I am become miserable, and am bowed down even to the end: I walked sorrowful all the day long.
8 For my loins are filled with illusions; and there is no health in my flesh.
9 I am afflicted and humbled exceedingly: I roared with the groaning of my heart.
10 Lord, all my desire is before thee, and my groaning is not hidden from thee.

11 My heart is troubled, my strength hath left me, and the light of my eyes itself is not with me.
12 My friends and my neighbours have drawn near, and stood against me. And they that were near me stood afar off: 13 And they that sought my soul used violence. And they that sought evils to me spoke vain things, and studied
deceits all the day long.
14 But I, as a deaf man, heard not: and as a dumb man not opening his mouth. 15 And I became as a man that
heareth not: and that hath no reproofs in his mouth.

16 For in thee, O Lord, have I hoped: thou wilt hear me, O Lord my God.
17 For I said: Lest at any time my enemies rejoice over me: and whilst my feet are moved, they speak great things
against me.
18 For I am ready for scourges: and my sorrow is continually before me.
19 For I will declare my inequity: and I will think for my sin.
20 But my enemies live, and are stronger that I: and they hate (don't hate, appreciate) me wrongfully are multiplied.

21 They that render evil for good, have detracted me, because I followed goodness.
22 Forsake me not, O Lord my God: do not thou depart from me.
23 Attend unto my help, O Lord, the God of my salvation.