An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

journeyman

Psalm 119 (Douay-Rehims)

A prayer in tribulation.

[size=1]Does this psalm differ from what you were expecting? Don't be confused. There are two systems for arranging the psalms: the Septuagint and the Masoretic. We use the Septuagint system here. In the Masoretic system, which is used in most modern Bible translations, this psalm is called Psalm 120, and the previous psalm is known as Psalm 119.[/size]

[size=2]A gradual canticle... The following psalms, in number fifteen, are called gradual psalms, or canticles, from the word gradus, signifying steps, ascensions, or degrees: either because they were appointed to be sung on the fifteen steps, by which the people ascended to the temple: or, that in the singing of them the voice was to be raised by certain steps or ascensions: or, that they were to be sung by the people returning from their captivity and ascending to Jerusalem, which was seated amongst mountains. The holy fathers, in a mystical sense, understand these steps, or ascensions, of the degrees by which Christians spiritually ascend to virtue and perfection; and to the true temple of God in the heavenly Jerusalem.[/size]

A gradual canticle.

[size=3] 1 In my trouble I cried to the Lord: and he heard me.
2 O Lord, deliver my soul from wicked lips, and a deceitful tongue.
3 What shall be given to thee, or what shall be added to thee, to a deceitful tongue?
4 The sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals that lay waste.
5 Woe is me, that my sojourning is prolonged! I have dwelt with the inhabitants of Cedar:
6 My soul hath been long a sojourner.
7 With them that hated peace I was peaceable: when I spoke to them they fought against me without cause.[/size]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

journeyman

Psalm 120 (Douay-Rheims)

God is the keeper of his servants.

A gradual canticle.

1 I have lifted up my eyes to the mountains, from whence help shall come to me.
2 My help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
3 May he not suffer thy foot to be moved: neither let him slumber that keepeth thee.
4 Behold he shall neither slumber nor sleep, that keepeth Israel.
5 The Lord is thy keeper, the Lord is thy protection upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not burn thee by day: nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord keepeth thee from all evil: may the Lord keep thy soul.
8 May the Lord keep thy coming in and thy going out; from henceforth now and for ever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

journeyman

Psalm 121 (Douay-Rheims)

The desire and hope of the just for the coming of the kingdom of God, and the peace of his Church.

A gradual canticle.

1 I rejoiced at the things that were said to me: We shall go into the house of the Lord.
2 Our feet were standing in thy courts, O Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem, which is built as a city, which is compact together.
4 For thither did the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord: the testimony of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
5 Because their seats have sat in judgment, seats upon the house of David.
6 Pray ye for the things that are for the peace of Jerusalem: and abundance for them that love thee.
7 Let peace be in thy strength: and abundance in thy towers.
8 For the sake of my brethren, and of my neighbours, I spoke peace of thee.
9 Because of the house of the Lord our God, I have sought good things for thee.

Amen.

VeniteAdoremus

Psalm 123 [122]

Een bedevaartslied.

Ik sla mijn ogen naar U op,
naar U die troont in de hemel.

Zoals de ogen van slaven
op de hand van hun meester staan gericht,
zoals de ogen van een slavin
op de hand van haar meesteres staan gericht,
zo staan onze ogen gericht op de HEER,
om te zien of onze God genadig wil zijn.

Wees ons genadig, HEER, wees genadig.
Wij zijn zo lang al zo diep gekwetst,

wij hebben meer dan genoeg
van de hoon van spotters,
van de minachting van pronkers.

Eer aan de Vader, en de Zoon, en de Heilige Geest
Zoals het was in het begin, en nu en altijd
Tot in de eeuwen der eeuwen. Amen.

Psalm 123 Douay-Rheims

The Church gives glory to God for her deliverance, from the hands of her enemies.

A gradual canticle.

1 If it had not been that the Lord was with us, let Israel now say:
2 If it had not been that the Lord was with us, When men rose up against us,
3 Perhaps they had swallowed us up alive. When their fury was enkindled against us,
4 Perhaps the waters had swallowed us up.
5 Our soul hath passed through a torrent: perhaps our soul had passed through a water insupportable.
6 Blessed be the Lord, who hath not given us to be a prey to their teeth.
7 Our soul hath been delivered as a sparrow out of the snare of the fowlers. The snare is broken, and we are delivered.
8 Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

Amen.

Psalm 124 (Douay-Rheims)

The just are always under God's protection.

A gradual canticle.

1 They that trust in the Lord shall be as mount Sion: he shall not be moved for ever that dwelleth
2 In Jerusalem. Mountains are round about it: so the Lord is round about his people from henceforth now and for ever.
3 For the Lord will not leave the rod of sinners upon the lot of the just: that the just may not stretch forth their hands to iniquity.
4 Do good, O Lord, to those that are good, and to the upright of heart.
5 But such as turn aside into bonds, the Lord shall lead out with the workers of iniquity: peace upon Israel.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...
journeyman

Psalm 125 (Douay-Rheims)

The people of God rejoice at their delivery from captivity.

A gradual canticle.

1 When the Lord brought back the captivity of Sion, we became like men comforted.
2 Then was our mouth filled with gladness; and our tongue with joy. Then shall they say among the Gentiles: The Lord hath done great things for them.
3 The Lord hath done great things for us: we are become joyful.
4 Turn again our captivity, O Lord, as a stream in the south.
5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
6 Going they went and wept, casting their seeds.
7 But coming they shall come with joyfulness, carrying their sheaves.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 126 Douay-Rheims

Nothing can be done without God's grace and blessing.

A gradual canticle of Solomon.

1 Unless the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it.
2 It is vain for you to rise before light, rise ye after you have sitten, you that eat the bread of sorrow. When he shall give sleep to his beloved
[size=1][color="#808080"]It is vain for you to rise before light... That is, your early rising, your labour and worldly solicitude, will be vain, that is, will avail you nothing, without the light, grace, and blessing of God.[/color][/size]
3 Behold the inheritance of the Lord are children: the reward, the fruit of the womb.
4 As arrows in the hand of the mighty, so the children of them that have been shaken.
5 Blessed is the man that hath filled the desire with them; he shall not be confounded when he shall speak to his enemies in the gate.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 127 (Douay-Rheims)

The fear of God is the way to happiness.

A gradual canticle.

1 Blessed are all they that fear the Lord: that walk in his ways.
2 For thou shalt eat the labours of thy hands: blessed art thou, and it shall be well with thee.
3 Thy wife as a fruitful vine, on the sides of thy house. Thy children as olive plants, round about thy table.
4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the Lord.
5 May the Lord bless thee out of Sion: and mayst thou see the good things of Jerusalem all the days of thy life.
6 And mayst thou see thy children's children, peace upon Israel.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 128 Douay Rheims

The Church of God is invincible: her persecutors come to nothing.

A gradual canticle.

1 Often have they fought against me from my youth, let Israel now say.
2 Often have they fought against me from my youth: but they could not prevail over me.
3 The wicked have wrought upon my back: they have lengthened their iniquity.
4 The Lord who is just will cut the necks of sinners:
5 Let them all be confounded and turned back that hate Sion.
6 Let them be as grass upon the tops of houses: which withereth before it be plucked up:
7 Who with the mower filleth not his hand: nor he that gathereth sheaves his bosom.
8 And they that passed by have not said: The blessing of the Lord be upon you: we have blessed you in the name of the Lord.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 129 (Douay-Rheims)

A prayer of a sinner, trusting in the mercies of God. The sixth penitential psalm.

A gradual canticle.

1 Out of the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord:
2 Lord, hear my voice. Let thy ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
3 If thou, O Lord, wilt mark iniquities: Lord, who shall stand it.
4 For with thee there is merciful forgiveness: and by reason of thy law, I have waited for thee, O Lord. My soul hath relied on his word:
5 My soul hath hoped in the Lord.
6 From the morning watch even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord.
7 Because with the Lord there is mercy: and with him plentiful redemption.
8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 130 Douay-Rheims

The prophet's humility.

A gradual canticle of David.

1 Lord, my heart is not exalted: nor are my eyes lofty. Neither have I walked in great matters, nor in wonderful things above me.
2 If I was not humbly minded, but exalted my soul: As a child that is weaned is towards his mother, so reward in my soul.
3 Let Israel hope in the Lord, from henceforth now and for ever.

Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

Psalm 131 (Douay-Rheims)

A prayer for the fulfilling of the promise made to David.

A gradual canticle.

1 O Lord, remember David, and all his meekness.
2 How he swore to the Lord, he vowed a vow to the God of Jacob:
3 If I shall enter into the tabernacle of my house: if I shall go up into the bed wherein I lie:
4 If I shall give sleep to my eyes, or slumber to my eyelids,
5 Or rest to my temples: until I find out a place for the Lord, a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
6 Behold we have heard of it in Ephrata: we have found it in the fields of the wood.

[color="#C0C0C0"][size="2"]We have heard of it in Ephrata... When I was young, and lived in Bethlehem, otherwise called Ephrata, I heard of God's tabernacle and ark, and had a devout desire of seeking it; and accordingly I found it at Cariathiarim, the city of the woods: where it was till it was removed to Jerusalem. See 1 Par. 13.[/size][/color]

7 We will go into his tabernacle: we will adore in the place where his feet stood.
8 Arise, O Lord, into thy resting place: thou and the ark, which thou hast sanctified.
9 Let thy priests be clothed with justice: and let thy saints rejoice.
10 For thy servant David's sake, turn not away the face of thy anointed.
11 The Lord hath sworn truth to David, and he will not make it void: of the fruit of thy womb I will set upon thy throne.
12 If thy children will keep my covenant, and these my testimonies which I shall teach them: Their children also for evermore shall sit upon thy throne.
13 For the Lord hath chosen Sion: he hath chosen it for his dwelling.
14 This is my rest for ever and ever: here will I dwell, for I have chosen it.
15 Blessing I will bless her widow: I will satisfy her poor with bread.
16 I will clothe her priests with salvation, and her saints shall rejoice with exceeding great joy.
17 There will I bring forth a horn to David: I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
18 His enemies I will clothe with confusion: but upon him shall my sanctification flourish.

Amen.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Psalm 132(Douay-Rhiems) A prayer for the fulfilling of the promise made to David.

1 O Lord, remember David, and all his meekness. 2 How he swore to the Lord, he vowed a vow to the God of Jacob: 3 If I shall enter into the tabernacle of my house: if I shall go up into the bed wherein I lie: 4 If I shall give sleep to my eyes, or slumber to my eyelids, 5 Or rest to my temples: until I find out a place for the Lord, a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.

6 Behold we have heard of it in Ephrata: we have found it in the fields of the wood. 7 We will go into his tabernacle: We will adore in the place where his feet stood. 8 Arise, O Lord, into thy resting place: thou and the ark, which thou hast sanctified. 9 Let thy priests be clothed with justice: and let thy saints rejoice. 10 For thy servant David's sake, turn not away the face of thy anointed.

[color="#FF0000"]6 "We have heard of it in Ephrata"... When I was young, and lived in Bethlehem, otherwise called Ephrata, I heard of God's tabernacle and ark, and had a devout desire of seeking it; and accordingly I found it at Cariathiarim, the city of the woods: where it was till it was removed to Jerusalem. See 1 Par. 13. [/color]
11 The Lord hath sworn truth to David, and he will not make it void: of the fruit of thy womb I will set upon thy throne. 12 If thy children will keep thy covenant, and these my testimonies which I shall teach them: Their children also for evermore shall sit upon thy throne. 13 For the Lord hath chosen Sion: he hath chosen it for his dwelling. 14 This is my rest for ever and ever: here will I dwell, for I have chosen it. 15 Blessing, I will bless her widow: I will satisfy her poor with bread.

16 I will clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall rejoice with exceeding great joy. 17 There will I bring forth a horn to David: I have prepared a lamp for my anointed. 18 His enemies I will clothe with confusion: but upon him will my sanctification flourish.

Amen.

[size="3"]
Psalm 132 (Douay-Rheims)

The happiness of brotherly love and concord.

A gradual canticle of David.

1 Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity:
2 Like the precious ointment on the head, that ran down upon the beard, the beard of Aaron, which ran down to the skirt of his garment:
3 As the dew of Hermon, which descendeth upon mount Sion. For there the Lord hath commanded blessing, and life for evermore.

Amen.
[/size]

[size="2"][color="#C0C0C0"]Does this psalm differ from what you were expecting? Don't be confused. There are two systems for arranging the psalms: the Septuagint and the Masoretic. The [url="http://www.newadvent.org/bible/psa132.htm"]site from which I copied the text[/url] uses the Septuagint system. In the Masoretic system, which is used in most modern Bible translations, this psalm is called Psalm 133, and the previous psalm is known as Psalm 132.
[/color][/size]