An Old School Catholic Message Board

Extraordinary Ministers

Resurrexi

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

what happens when the only priest available on a particular sunday
is
well
elderly
and it is difficult for him to stand and walk up and down the steps without dropping the Blessed Sacrament.

Thats just the only one i can think off the top of my head.

SHALOM
Bro Mark

I voted No for all three questions. For the first question, I do not think it is liturgically abusive to use extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist for the average parish because most of the parishes that I have seen are so large that if they weren't used, it would take an excessively long time to distribute the Eucharist to all the parishioners.

I voted No for the second question because I feel it would be unnecessary and would cause more problems than it would solve.

I voted No for the third question because I have seen an appropriate amount of reverence for the Eucharist regardless of whether extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist are used or not.

I base my answers on my own personal experience and recognize that others' personal experience will likely be different or the same as mine. The only thing I would like to add is that I think that in certain cases, extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist should be better trained.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
InHisLove726

This really hit home for me. I am an EMHC at my parish, and we are given a schedule of when we are supposed to serve. I don't like it. I think it detracts from the reverence of the Blessed Sacrament. I've witnessed other EMsHC treating their commission to serve as a right instead of a privilege.

Also, I answered "yes" to all three. There is another parish I attend that has Extraordinary Ministers for the weekday Mass. I don't think this is necessary at all. There's not as many people attend during the week as on Sunday. I think, if anything, the priest should be serving the Precious Body and one EMHC could serve the Precious Blood.

At my Sunday parish, there is a need to have some extraordinary ministers because it is a rather large parish (1,500 families), but we have WAY too many! :(

Edited by InHisLove726