An Old School Catholic Message Board

Game On, Hockey Fans

Ash Wednesday

He is, but IMO the ref can't lose sight of the puck like that. And even if the refs did the right thing, the Rangers caught a tough break there.

Not that I'm complaining about it or anything. :whistle:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1501557' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:56 AM'][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/MariosMilitia/Crosbysweep1copyfinal1copy.jpg[/img][/quote]
One can hope. :)

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='XIX' post='1511843' date='Apr 27 2008, 05:40 PM']He is, but IMO the ref can't lose sight of the puck like that. And even if the refs did the right thing, the Rangers caught a tough break there.

Not that I'm complaining about it or anything. :whistle:[/quote]

Could be. Though I still think the Penguins outplayed them and would have won anyway. (But I am biased.) I think the score would have been different if it weren't for Lundqvist. He stood on his head for his team. For the Rangers to have two consecutive power plays and the empty net/extra attacker on the ice and not capitalize -- you just can't do that during the playoffs.

Madison Square Garden is a very tough place for the Pens though. But it would seem that we've at least shown we can play low scoring games on crappy ice like they have at MSG, so I am feeling more optimistic. Penguins have to keep playing like they want it. Especially on the road.

Great game this afternoon. I agree with the call on the rangers goal that was a goal but wasn't a goal. I've reffed hockey games before, and it gets very difficult to know where the puck is in a situation like that. Many times if you lose sight of it for too long and you DONT blow the play dead you'll get flack from everyone for letting the play go. It's a tough call to make, and unfortunate it turned out the way it did, but I think the ref did the right thing.

Great game other than that though, I loved the intensity throughout all 60 minutes, great fun hockey to watch.

Ash Wednesday

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ur_KKBi2M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ur_KKBi2M[/url]

Here's the Gill/Laraque/Avery incident.

The commentator trying not to laugh at the end is pretty funny.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

JP2Iloveyou

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1510603' date='Apr 26 2008, 03:25 PM']A lot of fans were really freaked out about pairing Letang with Whitney. But I figured they have film footage or other ways of analyzing the game that fans don't, so I just shrugged it off. I was wondering if it was in an effort to open up the game to be a high scoring offensive one rather than the tight games that the Rangers like to play -- but that guess starts getting into territory I'm not much of an authority on.[/quote]

I'm not much of an authority on it either. I know very little about hockey in fact, since I've neither played, nor coached, and I certainly have never been an official. I just love the game. Anyway, my guess is that you are exactly right. The Rangers like to play a very slow, deliberate game from what I can tell. I'm not quite sure if it's the classic neutral zone trap or not, but they seem to want to sit back in their own zone, play solid defense, and wait for you to make a mistake. Whitnet and Letang are our best offensive defensemen, aside from Gonchar, so putting them together and trying to match that pair with our top lines seems to make sense to me. Again, my hockey knowledge is only slightly more than that of the squirrel sitting outside my window.

wow Rangers are in trouble. I was going back and forth between the game and NASCAR but I could tell it was a pretty defensive battle. Congrat's to Fleury forgetting the shutout (I'm assuming he was the man in net for Pittsburgh)

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1512448' date='Apr 28 2008, 11:38 AM']Well, then I think it's a pretty smart squirrel. ;)[/quote]
Where's notardillicacid when you need him?

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1510293' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:26 AM']I have to miss the Wings this afternoon since I'll be at work :sadder:[/quote]

Yeah, i missed it b/c i was doing music for a Life Teen retreat this weekend. The first chance i got on Saturday, though, i called up tgoldson to find out what the score was. How sad is that?!

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Tony' post='1512501' date='Apr 28 2008, 11:26 AM']wow Rangers are in trouble. I was going back and forth between the game and NASCAR but I could tell it was a pretty defensive battle. Congrat's to Fleury forgetting the shutout (I'm assuming he was the man in net for Pittsburgh)[/quote]

Well, I have to say that if the Penguins can come away with at least one game at MSG in this series, I will be very happy. Your team is VERY tough at home against the Penguins. We didn't win there once this year, and the Pens are going to have to play their best hockey at MSG. But I guess in the end, anything is possible in the playoffs and regular season stats don't always carry over. And I guess we've shown so far that we actually can play Rangers style hockey on bad ice. That's my consolation anyway. :sweat:

I'm following the Flyers/Habs series very closely. Habs haven't been looking as strong in the playoffs as I had expected. The Mullet Barry Melrose actually picked the Flyers to win this one because they had gone to 7 games against the Bruins.

If there was a Flyers-Penguins conference final... great googly moogly that would be UGLY. I personally don't have the same intense hatred for Philadelphia as much as local Pens fans do -- I'm not from PA so I don't get as involved in that state rivalry thing. But a lot of Pens fans are having a hard time rooting for Philly. They like the idea of having home ice... but it's funny watching them try to plug their noses and root for the Flyers. :lol:

A Pitt/Philly conference final would be a great series. Philly plays some seriously hard-nosed hockey and has some great talent (also some washed up old fogies like Derian Hatcher).

It looks like we might see a Detroit/Dallas conference final in the west, which to me seems almost anti-climactic, I'd love to play the Sharks in the final. The Sharks have never made it to the Cup Finals, and this would easily be one of the best shots for them, they have a great team this year, but they gotta climb out of the hole in Dallas this week.

Ash Wednesday

Agreed -- Dallas looks really good in the West. They are the hungriest looking team in the west, for sure.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1512657' date='Apr 28 2008, 03:21 PM']If there was a Flyers-Penguins conference final... great googly moogly that would be UGLY. I personally don't have the same intense hatred for Philadelphia as much as local Pens fans do -- I'm not from PA so I don't get as involved in that state rivalry thing. But a lot of Pens fans are having a hard time rooting for Philly. They like the idea of having home ice... but it's funny watching them try to plug their noses and root for the Flyers. :lol:[/quote]

Philly fans are absolutely crazy (I grew up outside the city), which can be good and bad depending on specifics. I would love to see a Flyer/Penguin matchup, PA would be at war with itself. :lol:

Wacky game. Flyers can't seem to get a big lead without the other team making a big comeback and either tying the game or at least coming desperately close to tying it.

2-1 Flyers. See if they can win game 4 to get control of the series, or if the Habs will regain home ice instead.