An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1576370' date='Jun 20 2008, 06:25 AM']Anyway, I was looking for the response of a serious atheist, not an 'I'm-mad-at-the-Church-for-some-reason-and-I'm-going-to-post-cynical-responses-to-every-religious-thread-on-a-religious-forum' atheist. In other words, I was looking for JustJ's response. Thanks anyways.[/quote]
Ouch, lol!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1576351' date='Jun 20 2008, 05:45 AM']I'd just like to hear their explanation for this:
[url="http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html"]Eucharistic Miracle at Lanciano[/url]
One of the most miraculous, in my opinion.[/quote]
Hmm, that is fascinating. Especially the presence of so many minerals needed for human life in the Blood. Good stuff.

Augustine of Hippo

1) How did the material universe come into initial being?

2) How did scientific random mutation overcome what have must have inevitable redundencies and errors that should occur in order to achieve working life systems?

3) What in a random universe accounts for such superfluous human notions such as intelligence, awareness, beauty, profundity, spirituality, etc...?

4) Why does the human spirit seek God/religion when a relativistic viewpoint that requires only self interest would require far less effort in moral and material living?

5) Do good and evil exist, and if not how can society expect any individual to respect what could only be viewed as moral imposition and can any form of legislation be applicable and respectable if each person is only morally accountable to themselves?

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1533844' date='May 19 2008, 03:58 PM']This Friday there is going to be an aetheist on a local radio station (kkms.com, check out the Jeff and Lee program). If you could ask an aetheist one question, what would it be?

If you have time listen to this debate between this guy (August Bershire) and a protestant pastor before you answer the question.

[url="http://206.123.105.98/AugustBerkshire"]http://206.123.105.98/AugustBerkshire[/url][/quote]

Edited by Augustine of Hippo

Farsight one

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1576190' date='Jun 19 2008, 01:42 PM']If my head pops, I'm blaming you guys.
The theory of infinite divisibility does have problems, especially that and the idea of movement, which is why somone else developed the string theory of matter (pretty sure that's what it's called). Don't you dare ask me to explain because I'm so out of my knowledge base it's pathetic.[/quote]From what I understand of the String Theory, it still has the exact same problem. One is forced to ask "What plucked the first string?" Of course, they came up with the M-theory. Which of course still has the same problem. It just keeps cycling. It's like they're trying to physically achieve an infinite regress of possibilities to show that it's possible to have no beginning.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1576993' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:14 PM']From what I understand of the String Theory, it still has the exact same problem. One is forced to ask "What plucked the first string?" Of course, they came up with the M-theory. Which of course still has the same problem. It just keeps cycling. It's like they're trying to physically achieve an infinite regress of possibilities to show that it's possible to have no beginning.[/quote]

I told you, my head's going to pop! :S (:D)
All I know is that there are alternate theories that get rid of the movement problem, except obviously have problems of their own, since every theoretical model has a couple glitches.

Nihil Obstat

I love my shoes. ;)
On the topic of atheism though... I think (hope?) that miracle clinched it! :bigclap:

Galloglasses

I doubt it, when/if JustJ comes back he'll have an answer of some form or another, even if its a rhetorical question, or something related to the randomicity of the Universe where bread turned into Human flesh and blood and this flesh and blood has been untouched and kept in non-airtight conditions for centuries and hasn't rotted. In all my days on mostly athiestic forums, when threads come to questioning/insulting religion, (I swear, sometimes athiest discuss religion more often then most of us, its like they're obsessed or something, or at least the ones I've met.), When a Christian or some other religious responds they always challenge to provide proof, then some miracle is put forward and the turn into angry bulls, (or very sarcastic ones) Thank God the ones I know in real life aren't as arrogent or infinently-smarter-then-thou like the ones I've found on the net.

Nihil Obstat

[quote]When a Christian or some other religious responds they always challenge to provide proof, then some miracle is put forward and the turn into angry bulls, (or very sarcastic ones) Thank God the ones I know in real life aren't as arrogent or infinently-smarter-then-thou like the ones I've found on the net.[/quote]

Funny you should say that, I've really been thinking lately... (This is all generalizations, and if any atheist in particular here believes themself to be an exception, you don't need to be offended about this.)
Isn't a big part of atheism the fact that they hate 'the hypocrisy of the Church"? They rail on and on about the Church discriminating, the Church sending everyone to hell, us believers condemning everyone else based on belief, acting like we're better than them...
...yet those same guys turn around and smugly dismiss theism. So many of them are ridiculously patronizing, as if they're just that much better than us poor superstitious geniuses still stuck in the Dark Ages.
If you want the most perfect example of this... go on to www.wikiquote.com, and read the entries about God, Faith, Religion. I'd say at least half, maybe more are atheistic and all of those are arrogant, smug, and not all that 'tolerant' of individual beliefs.
I love the term 'double-standard'. It so often applies.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Galloglasses

Its also funny when the ones come on saying that all Religions are the same at the Base level. This is a lie in the foremost sense and epitomises generalisation, for example, no matter how much you break down Taoism, Buddhism and Christianity down, Christianity will always be monothiestic and Believe in a One True God, while Taoism and Buddhism will always be Non-Thiestic and Believe in No God, (Contrary to popular idea, Buddhists don't worship Buddha, its something similar to how we venerate Saints, not worship them. Taoists are the same, but you can get a Taoist sect that does worship Tao as a god)

Also, for laughs, next time someone rails against you about the dark ages and religious wars causing the most deaths and torture, tell them compare the past 1900 years to the 20th century, the most secular in all of Human History and the most bloodiest and horrible. And that more Athiest leaders in that century have caused all this compared to two millenia of Religiously minded leaders.

Edited by Galloglasses