An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1578398' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:04 AM']Unfortunately, the page isn't loading. :([/quote]
It's a picture of me holding the rosary I described in my (rather late) introduction post in the check-in thread.

And of course I forgot to save the picture before uploading it to imageshack, so I'm going to have to retake it...

And of course I don't look as good the second time around. <__<

Oh, well.

[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/104glmh.jpg[/img]

lilac_angel

[quote name='JustJ' post='1578404' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:12 AM']And of course I don't look as good the second time around. <__<

Oh, well.

[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/104glmh.jpg[/img][/quote]

Oh, there it is!

That's a beaut! And you look so angry at it. For shame. :)

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1578407' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:15 AM']Oh, there it is!

That's a beaut! And you look so angry at it. For shame. :)[/quote]
Yeah, I didn't actually try to look angry, lol, it's just that in order to get good lighting on it, i needed to point my lamp directly at it, and also in the way of the lamp is my face, so the bright light wasn't exactly something I was happy about.

Original picture reuploaded to a new server:

[img]http://i31.tinypic.com/33vlx6p.jpg[/img]

Again, bright light, etc.

lilac_angel

[quote name='JustJ' post='1578413' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:22 AM']Original picture reuploaded to a new server:

[img]http://i31.tinypic.com/33vlx6p.jpg[/img]

Again, bright light, etc.[/quote]

I like that one better too, because you look less angry at it. :) You look more in a state of awe.

And I'm glad you're not getting rid of it!

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1578414' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:27 AM']I like that one better too, because you look less angry at it. :) You look more in a state of awe.

And I'm glad you're not getting rid of it![/quote]
Yeah. This piece, especially. Even if I no longer believe in prayer, the fact that I prayed countless times on that for my brother's protection makes it have a lot of emotional significance. I am always so scared for him while he's in Iraq, and sad from what his life has become out in California at the base, and all to fight a war I emphatically disagree with.

Dude. Your shirt says "how to speak german". what does the rest of it say?

that's not my question to an atheist :))

my question (at least to those who left the faith, so they had the Truth at one point) would be:

Are you really truly happy with where you are? Do you not feel some sense of emptiness or uselessness which didn't exist when you were practicing the faith?

[quote name='JustJ' post='1578416' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:30 AM']Yeah. This piece, especially. Even if I no longer believe in prayer, the fact that I prayed countless times on that for my brother's protection makes it have a lot of emotional significance. I am always so scared for him while he's in Iraq, and sad from what his life has become out in California at the base, and all to fight a war I emphatically disagree with.[/quote]

Why aren't you on AIM?

[quote name='Alycin' post='1578418' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:34 AM']Why aren't you on AIM?[/quote]
It keeps dying! Get on MSN.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1578417' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:33 AM']Dude. Your shirt says "how to speak german". what does the rest of it say?[/quote]
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/28722gw.jpg[/img]
[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1578417' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:33 AM']that's not my question to an atheist :))

my question (at least to those who left the faith, so they had the Truth at one point) would be:

Are you really truly happy with where you are? Do you not feel some sense of emptiness or uselessness which didn't exist when you were practicing the faith?[/quote]
I am not at all happy with where I am, but it's more due to poor personal decisions made independent of my religious affiliation (such as generally being very lazy, and so I've never been very good at getting things done unless they held immediate interest). I am, however, making a conscious effort to better my position and to try to do so without compromising my own morals and what feels like the right thing to do. For example, since I'm rather active politically, my father is trying to get me to start going back to church for political reasons. I cannot pretend to be a practicing Catholic. One of my very best friends ever is Catholic, and she was my sponsor for joining the Church. When she learned I stopped believing, she cried, because she thought I might not have believed in the first place, and yet I had taken communion alongside her. She has a very real love for Jesus Christ especially through the Eucharist, and I could not hurt her by pretending to believe for selfish and political reasons.

lilac_angel

[quote name='JustJ' post='1578416' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:30 AM']Yeah. This piece, especially. Even if I no longer believe in prayer, the fact that I prayed countless times on that for my brother's protection makes it have a lot of emotional significance. I am always so scared for him while he's in Iraq, and sad from what his life has become out in California at the base, and all to fight a war I emphatically disagree with.[/quote]

Your prayers weren't wasted.

Re: your German shirt...reminds me of Nietzsche! :D Have you read much of him and what do you think about him? I'm not sure if you've addessed which school of atheistic thought you adhere to the most strongly (and N-man was one of the pioneers of atheism), and it's too late for me to read over the entire thread right now. If you already addressed that, I'll look tomorrow!

Edited by lilac_angel

Yes, I have read some from Nietzsche, though I find any philosophy book to generally be boring, unless it deals with religion in an interesting way. However, academically, I'm really just more of a math guy. ;)

However, I find the notion of a school of atheistic thought to be amusing. I've read a lot of books and articles by many atheists, but would not consider myself to follow particularly after any of them. Truly, I go with the concept of freethought, taking ideas from any source with a valid point.

If you really had to know who my main influence in outlook has been among atheists, I would definitely have to side with (the infamous) Professor Richard Dawkins. His books The God Delusion and Unweaving the Rainbow are on the top of my recommended reading list for absolutely anyone who wants to know why atheists don't believe.