An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1580260' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:19 PM']He did? I don't remember seeing it. Oops, I'll go back and look.[/quote]

Thank you. Please read this thread in it's entirety. ;)

oh and get on AIM or MSN.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='JustJ' post='1578309' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:13 AM']Less than 30 seconds: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorrupt#Other_Religions"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorrupt#Other_Religions[/url][/quote]

Note that they were all Holy men? :P

I don't know what to say to this yet, and I dont have time to do the research right now. I will look it up when I get back.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Alycin' post='1580261' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:20 PM']Thank you. Please read this thread in it's entirety. ;)

oh and get on AIM or MSN.[/quote]

I did. Twice. Forgive me for the blindness. :P

Look mate, it's no good trying to explain away all these miracles, it makes you look like you're grasping at straws. It works much better to say something like "well maybe I can't explain these TODAY, but more than likely someday in the future there will be a satisfactory explanation!" That way you are just defaulting to Science proving (or disproving, rather) something that can't really be explained at this moment in time.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1580303' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:30 PM']Look mate, it's no good trying to explain away all these miracles, it makes you look like you're grasping at straws. It works much better to say something like "well maybe I can't explain these TODAY, but more than likely someday in the future there will be a satisfactory explanation!" That way you are just defaulting to Science proving (or disproving, rather) something that can't really be explained at this moment in time.[/quote]

Uhmmmm....

:doh:

:lol_pound:

but srsly... :getaclue:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1580275' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:46 PM']Note that they were all Holy men? :P[/quote]
Ones who rejected belief in gods. ^_^

[quote name='Alycin' post='1580309' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:33 PM']Uhmmmm....

:doh:
:lol_pound:
but srsly... :getaclue:[/quote]
It's better than arguing for mass delusions.

<_<

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1580303' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:30 PM']Look mate, it's no good trying to explain away all these miracles, it makes you look like you're grasping at straws. It works much better to say something like "well maybe I can't explain these TODAY, but more than likely someday in the future there will be a satisfactory explanation!" That way you are just defaulting to Science proving (or disproving, rather) something that can't really be explained at this moment in time.[/quote]
The first answer is not always the best.

I could ask a group of small children what 5 times 7 is. The first kid can pray about it and come back saying 57, and another kid can say, "How does multiplication work? I don't know right now." Well, eventually, the kid figures it out and says, "yay! The answer is 35!" and he's right! Of course, he got picked on by the other kids, who have strong faith that the answer is 57. They believe it in spite of evidence against it, and you can't tell them otherwise, because that's what they have faith in.

Yes, that's a bit overboard, maybe, but it shows how silly it is to think that just because we don't currently understand something, we will never understand it, and as such, we should turn to our belief in God, and stick with faith no matter what anyone says to the opposite.

You seem to be under the delusion that science can disprove the existence of God. Science can't, and hasn't, and will never be able to. There is nothing that has been discovered in Science, in Archeology, or in Historiography that is in any way contradictory to our faith, tradition, canon or future.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1580356' date='Jun 23 2008, 03:27 PM']You seem to be under the delusion that science can disprove the existence of God. Science can't, and hasn't, and will never be able to. There is nothing that has been discovered in Science, in Archeology, or in Historiography that is in any way contradictory to our faith, tradition, canon or future.[/quote]

[quote name='JustJ' post='1575585' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:19 PM']I do combine atheism and agnosticism. To say that the two are mutually exclusive is a false dichotomy. I do not believe that there is a god and am therefore an atheist. [b][size=5]However, I know that it is not technically possible to disprove his existence[/size][/b], and because of the definitions often given, no way to prove that he exists. If that's the case, well, i still see no reason to believe in him, but because there's no way to know he exists, that just seems more reason not to believe. The fact that he cannot be proved or disproved does not mean that the two conclusions are equally likely.[/quote]

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1580371' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:03 PM']Because she sticks up for you?[/quote]
The fact that she disagrees with me is key here. We still defend each other when we're right and work against each other when we think the other is wrong.

The Eastern Fathers could be called agnostics of a sort, i.e., at least as far as the divine essence is concerned, because they held that it is utterly impossible for a created being to ever know [i][b]what[/b][/i] God is.

For additional information see the thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=81541&view=findpost&p=1572012"][u]God As Unknowable[/u][/url]

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1580398' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:24 PM']The Eastern Fathers could be called agnostics of a sort, i.e., at least as far as the divine essence is concerned, because they held that it is utterly impossible for a created being to ever know [i][b]what[/b][/i] God is.

For additional information see the thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=81541&view=findpost&p=1572012"][u]God As Unknowable[/u][/url][/quote]
They were agnostic theists. I am an agnostic atheist.

Why do people think the terms are mutually exclusive? [img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1349/e10217rm9.gif[/img]