An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1580371' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:03 PM']Because she sticks up for you?[/quote]

I don't need to stick up for him, people just need to read what he already said. His words are his.

That being said...

I am friends with J because we are so different and yet alike. He tried to believe and couldn't, I tried not to believe and couldn't. We disagree ENTIRELY on the topic of God but, unlike many, we are able to remain respectful and charitable in our conversations and debates. He offers a different perspective and helps me grow in my faith by challenging me to really know my faith and understand it.

:love:

[quote name='JustJ' post='1580408' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:28 PM']They were agnostic theists. I am an agnostic atheist.

Why do people think the terms are mutually exclusive? [img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1349/e10217rm9.gif[/img][/quote]
I never said anything about you or your position in my post. Why do people read things into posts that are not there?

[quote name='Alycin' post='1580413' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:33 PM']I don't need to stick up for him, people just need to read what he already said. His words are his.
That being said...

I am friends with J because we are so different and yet alike. He tried to believe and couldn't, I tried not to believe and couldn't. We disagree ENTIRELY on the topic of God but, unlike many, we are able to remain respectful and charitable in our conversations and debates. He offers a different perspective and helps me grow in my faith by challenging me to really know my faith and understand it.

:love:[/quote]
Defeating the devil's advocate in fair debate is the best way to confirm your faith.

[img]http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1998/e10226iz8wv1.gif[/img]

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1580422' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:43 PM']I never said anything about you or your position in my post. Why do people read things into posts that are not there?[/quote]
I'm sorry that you thought I was saying that about you. I didn't mean to imply that.

Why do [i]other people[/i] that [i]do[/i] insist on saying the two are mutually exclusive say that?

edit: [img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1349/e10217rm9.gif[/img]

Edited by JustJ

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1580422' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:43 PM']I never said anything about you or your position in my post. Why do people read things into posts that are not there?[/quote]

Apoth, sometimes it is confusing when you make posts in threads. Lots of times you post things and I am like "huh? what does that have to do with the discussion going on in this thread?" :hehe:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1580621' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:36 PM']J, how come you didn't respond to my posts? :huh:[/quote]
I've been putting a lot of effort into responding to many posts over at the debate forum, as well as having things to do in real life. Give me a bit. Your posts are much longer and require more time to completely demolish.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1580433' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:53 PM']Apoth, sometimes it is confusing when you make posts in threads. Lots of times you post things and I am like "huh? what does that have to do with the discussion going on in this thread?" :hehe:[/quote]
Sometimes I post simply in order to highlight an idea that I think brings something new to a given thread, e.g., mentioning the agnosticism of the Greek Fathers as it concerns the divine essence in this particular thread.

While at other times, I am responding to a specific post within a thread, which I then quote as I am doing with your particular post above, in order to highlight the responsive nature of my comment. Hopefully that helps to clarify things for you.

[quote name='JustJ' post='1580693' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:15 PM']I've been putting a lot of effort into responding to many posts over at the debate forum, as well as having things to do in real life. Give me a bit. Your posts are much longer and require more time to completely demolish.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1581121' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:04 PM']Sometimes I post simply in order to highlight an idea that I think brings something new to a given thread, e.g., mentioning the agnosticism of the Greek Fathers as it concerns the divine essence in this particular thread.

While at other times, I am responding to a specific post within a thread, which I then quote as I am doing with your particular post above, in order to highlight the responsive nature of my comment. Hopefully that helps to clarify things for you.[/quote]
Only problem with that is that your information is so good that I personally find it impossible to respond...
Other than to say
":blink: Of course. *smile*"
So yea, congratulations, I think. :D

Nihil Obstat

OOOOHHHHH, I have a question, finally. Well two now, I guess, but one of them is just a little one.

1) What is the bare minimum that it would take for you to believe in God?
Answer however you want here. Make up circumstances. I'm not picky.
2) What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
;) I may say this jokingly, but I still want you to answer.

Saint Therese

I don't know. I think that the bloodless revolution that ended the reign of the Soviet Union is pretty hard to believe without divine intervention.