An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Catholic Movies

dUSt

Emily Rose is also based on a true story...ever heard of Anneleise Michel?

That said, I love that movie.

I also recommend The Song of Bernadette. Awesome, simply awesome.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1616075' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:09 PM']What most people do not know, that excorsism happen in real life.
Yeah, it is a movie for Catholics or anyone to see, because if we do not acknowledge that these things happen, we are in trouble.

A lot of priests on EWTN recommended Excorsism of Emily Rose. I bought the movie, and the lady I live with saw it, and she freaked out, screamed and made me throw it away. She was so mad, that she was about to sprinkle Holy Water on it.

Yet, she has movies about witchcraft?

Excorsisms and demons are serious stuff and people need to know about them.[/quote]
Pshh, of course I knew it happened in real life! :D I also happen to know that all the differences are superficial. :D Even the levitating happened, as I understand it (though not the spider walk).
I did see Exorcism of Emily Rose... it was ok. I was looking for a bit more of a horror than a court room drama though.
Why did the woman you live with hate it so much? I didn't notice any anti-theist themes in it...

What is the general consensus about Rosemary's Baby anyway? I know we talked about it a while back somewhere else, but I can't recall. I want to see it though.

1) The Mission

2) The Passion of the Christ

3) Marcelino Pan y Vino(of 1955)

[url="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=SrWeSiEyJ1E&feature=related"]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=SrWeSiEyJ1E&...feature=related[/url]

4) The Black Robe

5) Live of Jonh XXIII(Italian Production)

6) Ben Hur

geetarplayer

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUp6ElRayE"]This ridiculous scene[/url] has forever tainted a beloved Marian hymn. Try to find a traditional rendition of it on YouTube, I dare ya. You'd be surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

The Passion of the Christ
Jesus of Nazareth
John Paul II: The CBS Film
Padre Pio
Bella
The Ten Commandments (1956)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)

want to see:
Therese
pretty much any Saint movie

want to un-see:
Sister Act :P

short films like Fishers of Men? the short films by Family Theater Productions, like the Mysteries of the Rosary (with Fr. Peyton, on EWTN often) are really good.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1632301' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:09 PM']Try to find a traditional rendition of it on YouTube, I dare ya. You'd be surprised.[/quote]
I just took you up on that... disturbing.

Guest mikemlek

Romero

The Nativity Story

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Stigmata

The Order

Da Vinci Code (yeah, I know...)

I've been realizing that most entertaining films concerning Catholicism are pretty anti-Catholic, or at least very unorthodox, in rhetoric.

• 4 weeks later...
MC IMaGiNaZUN

This is in no particular order...
[b]Bella[/b] (you guys need to see this one, it is amazing film.)
[b]the Passion of Bernadette[/b] (she comes across as historically accurate according to the book I read by Fr. Rene Laurentin)
[b]Changing Lanes[/b] This movie won an award by some Catholic association out on the west coast, it deals heavily with the theme of reconciliation

[b]Signs[/b] (well it isn't "Catholic" specifically but it has so many Christian themes that you would not expect)

personally i liked "Nuns On the Run", a british comedy starring Eric Idle(monty python) and Robbie Coltrane. basically two small time gangsters trying to get out of crime end up being chased by the mob, and they hide in a Convent(?) posing as Nuns. hilarity ensues.

also, technically "the exorcist" is a catholic film.

Bernadette/Passion of Bernadette/Song of Bernadette
Faustyna
Our Lady of Fatima
Mother Teresa
Marcelino Pan y Vino
Passion of the Christ
Bella
St. Rita
Joan of Arc
Exorcism of Emily Rose

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1696549' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:54 PM']Exorcist. Bit scary.[/quote]

a little bit, eh? well it is a catholic movie, though maybe not so friendly.

• 2 weeks later...