An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy...at Church?!

HisChildForever

Ah but I did read the entire post Don John and interpreted it in a certain way that most of the thread seems to have based on the wording.

Not to be condescending in the least...I want to give you, and everyone else a piece of advice I was given. Don't get upset, it's the internet. There are far more pressing things in real life than proving others wrong online. It's a piece of advice I try to follow because it keeps my blood pressure down. I just stink at it a lot of times.

Edited by BG45

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1667351' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:22 PM']I think the public vs catholic school debate varies from place to place, since the catholic school in one place may be the better option, or vice versa

The next person irl who insults homeschoolers is going to get a right hook to his jaw :)[/quote]

I will help you!!1!

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1667317' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:59 PM']heresay, generalization, and exaggeration. i used to think the same as you, then i realized what the real reality was. you don't have to know a thing about the evils of the world if you want to live a holy life. it's evil, and there will always be evil. nothing new there. knowledge of what is "popular" is completely unnecessary. if a family chooses to raise their kids to a higher moral standard which you can't relate to or understand, leave it at that. to criticize so negatively is just uncharitable.

anywho, off topic. everyone is at a different point in their spiritual journey and in a different state of life. some desire to take their spirituality to another level, some choose to remain where they are in certain things. all i know is, God says to continually grow in holiness and convert. the moment you are comfortable, you are already dead.[/quote]

[b]
[color="#FF0000"][size=4]Don't you dare[/size][/color][/b] tell me this is "heresay, generalization, and exaggeration" I don't know what goes on in California but this happens and is happening JUST AS I SAY IT in New England, especally the parts that are still rural.

Catholics are bad, the protestant bands are even worse.

Its not no knowlege of what's popular its no knowlege of what's going on, period. Who's canadates for presidency, etc. Its not just not knowing about Brittany Spears, its not knowing anything thats going on. By one's own free choice (not locked in a compound) the only news you get is through leaders. Forget science, math and technology, home making is the way to go. Forget higher education, the only valuable work is work that actually gets your hands dirty.

I DO know, I DID see and I was a part of that world in a way in north new england. And the group that I was in was not the only one, b/c through the internet (that was restricted to leaders) found others. Its a humiliating, horrible and by having poor catholic schools these groups are growing by disturbing numbers.

There needs despriatly to be a happy medium.

It dosn't make me uncomfortable it makes me queezy! Its a horrid way to live. We can grow in holiness without manufacturing fanatics.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1667121' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:26 PM']There's definatly some extremism going on becuase ordinary catholic schools are not meeting parents desire's and they develop more drasic ideas. parents who want to get their children away from the loose morals in public school and the lack of quality education in private schools will homeschool. Not everyone can homeschool, so splinter groups develop. Thises splinter groups attract weak parents who don't know much about the faith into a kind of wierd catholic extremism that is just creepy. I've seen it happen many times and its sad. Only when catholics go extreme they dress in long skirts, protest at abortion clinics and refuse to participate in current american ways of life. ITs like those mormans in texas but without the forced icolation.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

goldenchild17

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1667174' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:01 PM']its not just the dressing in long skirts, its the fact they call it a sin to dress in anything but a long skirt...and girls aren't allowed to swim in anything thats much more revealing than a wetsuit with a skirt. That the MUST wear it. If a women wants to do it, so be it, but forcing a girl to wear skirts in the heat of the summer, and stinging cold of winter when they have no say is wrong. Pants are not evil. And there not going to be lesbians if they wear them. Believe me, they are taught as such.

Its the protesting with infants or small children when its snowing outside. I don't find anythin wrong with an adult peaceful protest, but I think that under no circumstances should a child, (espcally one under the age of reason) be encouraged or permitted to protest.

And like I said in my first post its the "pokemon/pogs/disney...insert whatever is poplular...is the work of the devil" mindset. The complete isolation from reality. I'm not saying they should go out and read cozmo but being able to know something occuring in the world outside would be nice.[/quote]

goldenchild17

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1667351' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:22 PM']The next person irl who insults homeschoolers is going to get a right hook to his jaw :)[/quote]

word. and your avatar is awesome. :smokey:

goldenchild17

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1667525' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:39 AM']It dosn't make me uncomfortable it makes me queezy! Its a horrid way to live. We can grow in holiness without manufacturing fanatics.[/quote]

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1667527' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:49 AM']:rolleyes:[/quote]

do you have a problem with what I'm saying?

goldenchild17

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1667533' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:15 AM']do you have a problem with what I'm saying?[/quote]

yeah, its pretty much ridiculous as far as I can tell. But I didn't feel like getting into the debate, mostly because you seem pretty set on what your saying so whatever I have to say isn't going to get through. plus this thread isn't about homeschooling anyways. peace

Edited by goldenchild17

HisChildForever

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1667442' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:01 AM']I have noticed a disturbing trend on these boards... people ask for evidence, recieve evidence and then pretend that such evidence was not presented. They then move on to something to nit-pick at and attack rather than respond to the evidence.

Interesting.[/quote]

It's also interesting that you have the nerve to suggest that my parents (and other family as well) who have experienced physical (as well as verbal) abuse during their Catholic school days are making it all up for Lord knows what purpose. You are just so set on Catholic schools being so godly and public schools being such lumps of trash - that's called confirmation bias. When something agrees with your opinion (such as those links you posted) then everything is perfect. When something disagrees with your opinion you refuse to believe that it's true, even though it is (Catholic school abuse).

Yes, your links backed you up. But I bet I can find plenty to back me up. Want me to give it a shot?

HisChildForever

I agree with everything Autumn Dusk is saying. Some people get so obsessed over certain details that they lose sight of the big picture. Instead of being stingy over long skirts and being afraid to touch Beanie Babies (those were trendy once), they should put their hardcore faith to use and help out with those Catholic schools who have poor religious education.

[quote]But I didn't feel like getting into the debate,[/quote]

I'm sorry to say, but obnoxiously posting roll eye emoticons after every quote you disagree with - in separate posts, no less - gets you involved.

Edited by HisChildForever

goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1667537' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:53 AM']I'm sorry to say, but obnoxiously posting roll eye emoticons after every quote you disagree with - in separate posts, no less - gets you involved.[/quote]

okay :). :rolleyes:

Edited by goldenchild17

princessgianna

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1667434' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:46 PM']AS for the flaws of your Catholic School, well make no mistake, I think that the Priest should be cleaning house there as well.[/quote]
i think so too! i am just saying my experience at a Catholic School was really bad.
plus we were never really taught about stuff done to the core like Confession, the Holy Eucharist,Mary Queen of Heaven and earth,Apostolic Succession, Dogmas of the Faith, stuff that makes us Catholics distinctly Catholic from the rest of the Christians! We learned a little bit but never much in depth to totally understand why we as Catholics believe it!
Though if you live a near a totally awesome Catholic school that is actually Catholic-that is totally awesome!And it is working out for you- I am very happy for you. Knowing that there are some Catholic schools that are Catholic and teach the Faith-gives me hope!
Pax~ :))

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1667376' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:43 AM']+J.M.J.+
i think what it comes down to is personal experience. some peeps have a great experience with their CS - others don't. to discount one or the other as wrong, it's just silly. :hippie:[/quote]
Definitely. I went to a public school, and it was a very good one. Some of my cousins went to the Catholic school in town, and some were/are homeschooled. A cousin in NJ who is agnostic (as are his parents) was sent to a Catholic school because it was the best school in the area.

I am adamant that my children will have a Catholic education, either at our parish school or homeschooled. I need to do more research regarding the parish schools in this area, since they receive funding from the government. I mean, it's nice that I wouldn't have to pay for a Catholic education, I just want to make sure it's truly Catholic. I would certainly offer to help in whatever way I could, though. Our priest oversees 3 parishes, and at least two of them have schools attached to them, so I'm sure he would appreciate any help. :)

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1667442' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:01 PM']I have noticed a disturbing trend on these boards... people ask for evidence, recieve evidence and then pretend that such evidence was not presented. They then move on to something to nit-pick at and attack rather than respond to the evidence.

Interesting.[/quote]

we're young, zealous, and hormonal. :P