An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

Saint Therese

The Sound and the Fury by Bill Faulkner

its a stream of conciousness with chapters written from the perspective of a mentally handicapped person, another by a suicidal person, and its full of time shifts. No explanation or warning about any of it, the reader has to figure it out themselves.

What kind of man writes books to deliberately confuse?

UGH UGH UGH

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1733284' date='Dec 21 2008, 07:16 PM']The Sound and the Fury by Bill Faulkner

its a stream of conciousness with chapters written from the perspective of a mentally handicapped person, another by a suicidal person, and its full of time shifts. No explanation or warning about any of it, the reader has to figure it out themselves.

What kind of man writes books to deliberately confuse?

UGH UGH UGH[/quote]

As I Lay Dying was written by him too. I just dislike his work in general. Stream of Conciousness can be good, Mesa Selimovic does an AMAZING job of it in "Death and the Deverish" but Faulkner=ewwwww :annoyed:

Saint Therese

I liked [i][b]As I Lay Dying[/b][/i]. I thought it was brilliant. Maybe its a southern thing.
:detective:

Did anyone read the Davinci Code?

Saint Therese

I loved the absurdity of it. I did a presentation in lit class over it. My instructor laughed the whole time. True story.

[quote]A Wrinkle in Time was the worst book I ever read, it was terrible, it made me want to die.[/quote]

Ah, I loved that book :P

[quote]Where the Red Fern Grows... I hated that book. It's probably the only book I can say that I truly hated that I read cover to cover. Normally if I dislike a book that badly I won't finish it (and I hate not finishing books).[/quote]

We had to read that in 7th grade. Hated it.

But I really hated The Grapes of Wrath. Srsly. Dullest book I have ever read. I had to literally force myself to read it. I reread chapters because I thought, "hey, I can get through it. It's just a book, right?" Uh, no. I was so, terribly wrong :(

homeschoolmom

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1733231' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:35 PM']Where the Red Fern Grows... I hated that book. It's probably the only book I can say that I truly hated that I read cover to cover. Normally if I dislike a book that badly I won't finish it (and I hate not finishing books).[/quote]
:sadder:

Butbutbut....

My most hated book that I read cover to cover:

Catcher in the Rye. Hatedhatedhated that book.

Leaves of Grass was not great either, but I hated CITR.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1733431' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:19 PM']:sadder:

Butbutbut....

My most hated book that I read cover to cover:

Catcher in the Rye. Hatedhatedhated that book.

Leaves of Grass was not great either, but I hated CITR.[/quote]
i loved catcher in the rye :love:

The worst book I've never read is Finnegan's Wake. The first and last page were epic, but I gave up on everything in between. Poor blind Joyce, he lost his mind in the end. Though I suppose its better than losing one's mind in the beginning. Or is it?

:unsure:

[quote name='kafka' post='1733522' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:15 PM']The worst book I've never read is Finnegan's Wake. The first and last page were epic, but I gave up on everything in between. Poor blind Joyce, he lost his mind in the end. Though I suppose its better than losing one's mind in the beginning. Or is it?

:unsure:[/quote]
you would know.

:unsure: