An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

Saint Therese

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Brigid' post='1741480' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:22 PM']really? I liked The Grapes of Wrath... but then, I've liked everything of Steinbeck's that I've read.[/quote]
GoW was the only Steinbeck piece I've come across that I don't like so far.

The summer I had to read [i]Jane Eyre[/i] was the longest summer of my life. Hated that book, but I got through it...

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1736335' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:42 PM']It's a good book, except when the guy's guts fall out.[/quote]
I tried to read Catch-22 a few years ago, but I left it on the kitchen table and my mom found it and read a few pages. she deemed it too crass and made me return it to the library. :rolleyes:

[quote]But Yossarian knew he was right, because, as he explained to Clevinger, to the best of his knowledge he had never been wrong.[/quote]

I loved that part, though. ^_^ I copied down the whole conversation just because I thought it was hilarious.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1741681' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:21 PM']GoW was the only Steinbeck piece I've come across that I don't like so far.[/quote]
then I forgive you. ^_^ he has a certain way with words, imho.

Edited by Brigid

Saint Therese

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1739146' date='Dec 30 2008, 07:07 PM']I have read many terrible books, but the one that comes to mind at the moment is "The Book of Mormon."[/quote]
Iawtc.

• 6 months later...

ok... since we're bumping ancient threads at the moment, I'm going to with this one, I wasn't here when it was first discussed so perhaps that gives me a good excuse.

I hated Lord of the Flies and the Red Pony. Gag. Me. I couldn't finish the Red Pony. LotF was just disturbing. :thumbdown:

I can't believe anyone hated Cold Mountain! :shock: I seriously loved that book, so much I'm thinking about reading it again. Which is how I came across this thread. I searched Cold Mountain and lo and behold, someone hates it! This is unfathomable to me!

I also hated 'Tis by Frank McCourt. I sort of liked Angela's Ashes, but I hated 'Tis.

I think you have to be in the mood for Steinbeck. I loved Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. Perhaps the same for Fahrenheit 451... I liked that alot. And Great Expectations surprised me, I liked it more than I expected. I think. Maybe I just convinced myself I liked it because I had to get through it. :detective:

I tried Catch-22 and was disappointed that I just couldn't do it... I had high hopes for it. It failed me.

I tried to read A Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu... the first novel ever written. I was crushed, but I just didn't understand it. Granted, I was in junior high, that might have been why. But it's just so confusing! She never calls the characters by their names its always, "The Prince" and the relationship of the other characters to the prince. Weird. I suppose it's just different cultures though. :scratchhead:

And I hated Romeo and Juliet too. Please. I don't understand why that one is so popular. That one makes you wish you were the one with the knife. :huh:

Marie-Therese

I loved Wrinkle in Time AND Where the Red Fern Grows. It is about crippled kids and dogs!!! People who don't like that book might have tiny hearts. JK. LOL But I actually did love them both. Loved a lot of L'Engle's work, I read that whole tesseract series when I was in, third or fourth grade?

Now, on the other hand, there is As I Lay Dying.

Worst. Book. Ever. A massive hardbound case of FAIL. If you are looking for an excellent way to dissuade someone from drinking, let them read that book. Faulkner just wrote some rambling croutons because he had no idea he was still conscious. Pfft on that terrible book.