An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

Saint Therese

Oh oh oh oh oh. My brain had blocked it for a while, but I've now remembered. I have the definitive answer.

(Seriously, no amount of boring, pretentious, depressing and/or crazy touches it.)

[i]Ghost[/i] by John Ringo.

I don't actually recommend any of you look it up, even for laughs. (Even though it is probably available for free online... and it IS really entertainingly bad, but just. No. It's not only bad [i]quality[/i], it's filthy.)

It's truly horrible. Bad bad bad dreadful bad. And the author knows it, too. :covereyes:

But, if you want to enjoy some brilliant horribleness, check out [url="http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon"]The Eye of Argon[/url]. So hilariously terrible you may wet your pants and/or choke on something. Fair warning!

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1734902' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:23 PM']1984

My sister read it so I tried to read it, yik. :unsure:[/quote]
it's one of my all time favorites

[quote name='philothea' post='1734198' date='Dec 23 2008, 12:23 AM']But, if you want to enjoy some brilliant horribleness, check out [url="http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon"]The Eye of Argon[/url]. So hilariously terrible you may wet your pants and/or choke on something. Fair warning![/quote]

:hehe:

I'll have to go back and read some more later. :yes:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1733860' date='Dec 22 2008, 01:55 PM']Well, it's certainly not my favorite book, but I never knew anyone who hated it.

Was it assigned reading?[/quote]

Eventually it would have been, I guess, but I read it early. My sister had to read it for a class first and told me I should read it because she liked it. I was severely disappointed.

Guest WayfaringStranger

I'm the weirdo who liked [i]Wrinkle in Time[/i], [i]A Separate Peace [/i] and a [i]Tale of Two Cities[/i]. :topsy:

I've had Things Fall Apart (the one by Chinua Achebe) as assigned reading three times. I liked it better the last time, but I can't for the life of me find much to admire about the protagonist. I couldn't stand [i]Of Mice and Men[/i], [i]The Old Man and The Sea[/i],[i] Fahrenheit 451 [/i], [i]Leviathan[/i], or the [i]Communist Manifesto[/i].

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1733431' date='Dec 21 2008, 08:19 PM']My most hated book that I read cover to cover:

Catcher in the Rye. Hatedhatedhated that book.

Leaves of Grass was not great either, but I hated CITR.[/quote]
I thought CITR was well written, but I hated the story. That kid needed a swift kick in the behind. He irritated the snot out of me. Grow up already.

I've read a lot of bad/disturbing books, most for classes (so I had to read it):

[i]The Collector[/i]-John Fowles. top number one worst book for me.
[i]In Cold Blood[/i]-Truman Capote
[i]In the Forest[/i]-Edna O'Brien

A book I found very disturbing was QB VII. It was about a war trial of a concentration camp doctor. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Strange but True: I struggled through one chapter and then gave up because the entire plot was pointless, crazy, immoral and just plain weird.