An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers For My Nephew Brodie---updated

IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

His o2 stats are dropping to the mid 70s again. My sister said "2 steps foward 1 step back. We will take whatever improvements we can get."

IcePrincessKRS

You guys really are amazing. It's a huge comfort knowing we have so many people praying for Brodie.

Sara texted me a couple hours ago but I was out so I didn't update sooner, she said that after another x-ray the doctors think that the collapsed lung may actually be fluid and they were going to do an ultrasound on it and had ordered antibiotics to be started as a precaution. So far I haven't heard what the results of the ultrasound were but I'll update when I know more.

At this point even with a step back I am so encouraged that today he has finally begun to make positive progress and his fever is reducing a little.

IcePrincessKRS

Joe shared earlier, also, that Brodie had received a blessing from the priest that Baptized him before his first surgery. I feel like that's pretty special and razzle dazzle.

dominicansoul

He'll get through this, it might take a while, but I'm hopeful the little guy will be strong enough to overcome whatever hurdles get in the way, and he'll get through this... :amen:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1319227258' post='2324808']
He'll get through this, it might take a while, but I'm hopeful the little guy will be strong enough to overcome whatever hurdles get in the way, and he'll get through this... :amen:
[/quote]

I totally agree. He's a tough little guy. It just hurts seeing him so vulnerable. I kept waking up last night thinking about him and praying until I fell back asleep. When my sister texted me today she said his 02 stats had dropped to the 60s during the night and I told her I was glad I'd been so restless because I knew he'd been getting prayers all night long, too. I told her if I had been that worried I couldn't even imagine what she's going through. She said "It smells of elderberries balls. ;) Just gotta be willing to accept God's will above all." So much easier said than done, but she is a tough woman. They are doing everything they can to split their time between their 3 kids, one of them is always with Brodie and the other is home taking care of the two girls (plus they have my other sister there to help). I can only hope that if I were ever in her shoes I'd be as brave and trusting in God as she is.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1319226909' post='2324805']
You guys really are amazing. It's a huge comfort knowing we have so many people praying for Brodie.

Sara texted me a couple hours ago but I was out so I didn't update sooner, she said that after another x-ray the doctors think that the collapsed lung may actually be fluid and they were going to do an ultrasound on it and had ordered antibiotics to be started as a precaution. So far I haven't heard what the results of the ultrasound were but I'll update when I know more.

At this point even with a step back I am so encouraged that today he has finally begun to make positive progress and his fever is reducing a little.
[/quote]

If it a fluid (vs a pneumothorax, a collapsed lung) would they do a chest tube to drain it? Or is it very small? All I keep thinking is, "Go baby! Go baby! We love you! God loves you! Be healthy & strong!" :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Edited by brandelynmarie

Marie-Therese

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319230890' post='2324824']

If it a fluid (vs a pneumothorax, a collapsed lung) would they do a chest tube to drain it? Or is it very small? All I keep thinking is, "Go baby! Go baby! We love you! God loves you! Be healthy & strong!" :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
[/quote]

Chances are, in a peds case, if it was an issue with fluid vs. a pneumo or something similar, they would probably do a needle aspiration of the fluid as opposed to a chest tube, unless it was a truly enormous fluid volume inside the pleural space. They can do an ultrasound-guided thoracentesis to remove the fluid, if it becomes necessary to remove the fluid via an invasive procedure. However, it sounds like they are looking to see if his little body will kick in and use natural processes to try to move the fluid off, as well as using some medications. In anyone post-op, an additional invasive procedure would be a last resort.

Praying for Brodie, Icey. My heart aches thinking of a little one in pain.

I am offering up my day caring for a sick child (who will be fine tomorrow) for little Brodie, and praying his health and energy return so he can soon get back to being at home with his family.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1319232136' post='2324838']

Chances are, in a peds case, if it was an issue with fluid vs. a pneumo or something similar, they would probably do a needle aspiration of the fluid as opposed to a chest tube, unless it was a truly enormous fluid volume inside the pleural space. They can do an ultrasound-guided thoracentesis to remove the fluid, if it becomes necessary to remove the fluid via an invasive procedure. However, it sounds like they are looking to see if his little body will kick in and use natural processes to try to move the fluid off, as well as using some medications. In anyone post-op, an additional invasive procedure would be a last resort.

Praying for Brodie, Icey. My heart aches thinking of a little one in pain.
[/quote]

I was wondering, thanks. :) We don't have many pediatric cases at my hospital.