An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers For My Nephew Brodie---updated

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1854755' date='May 1 2009, 11:05 PM']I talked to my sister this evening. She's still pretty sore from her surgery but said that she got to go down to the NICU and spend some time with Brodie (her IV fell out and she ran out of pain meds so she had ot leave because the pain got to be too much).

Brodie's surgery has also been moved back to the 5th, but he is being taken care of very well so if any emergency situation arises they will be able to manage it.

:sign:[/quote]

Holding baby Brodie and his family very near in heart and prayer. :bigpray:

IcePrincessKRS

Joe's latest update:

[b] they took all the tubes out of Brodie's mouth!!! He continues to do great.[/b]

:love:

IcePrincessKRS

An e-mail update from Sara. :)

[b]Hi all,
Sorry I haven't sent an update in a few days. I've had several people asking about Brodie. He's still in the PICU and will probably be there for a few more days. His chest cavity was closed on Friday and since then he has made several big improvements. He's been getting milk through his feeding tube for the past few days.Today I got a really great Mother's Day gift, when we got to the hospital Brodie was being extubated (having his breathing tube removed). He is breathing on his own and is practicing breathing, sucking and swallowing with his pacifier in preparation for the first meal he gets to eat on his own. He was also taken off one of his blood pressure meds this afternoon because he was able to keep it regulated on his own.
We've had a few scares and its been a bit of a roller coaster ride but overall Brodie is doing great. His doctors regularly tell us they are very pleased with his progress. We had one tell us that he is the most stable patient in the PICU and normally children with his condition are the least stable.
Joe and I have been able to spend several hours with him each day. Brodie is still in the special cardiac room of the PICU but is scheduled to move into his own room by Tuesday.
Fiona has been having fun playing in the special play room at the hospital and hanging out with Granny & Grandad during the day when not at the hospital with mommy & daddy.
Thank you for all the continued prayers, love and support!

Sara, Joe, Fiona & Brodie.[/b]

IcePrincessKRS

I don't really have anything new to report, just that Brodie continues to do well. He was moved into his own room (yesterday, I think) so now they have a little more quiet time with him. Joe had his first day back to work since Brodie's birth and surgery so I suspect the updates will be less frequent, but I figure that's ok since we have every expectation of continued improvements. :))

IcePrincessKRS

I got a text from my sister today asking for continued prayers for Brodie. He has what the doctors called a minor complication, but she, of course, as his mommy is really worried.

This was Joe's update:
[b]
is back home after a long day...and im out the door in 10 min to go back to see Brodie...Fiona met him today! It was nice...not as cool as i thoght it would be. Brodie has coughed up some blood and he had blood in his diaper yesterday and today...so he ain't 100 percent yet...keep prayin please.[/b]

IcePrincessKRS

Joe replied to a note I sent him with this:

[b]they have taken him off the food IV to make sure that isn't what is causing it. We think it was the formula we saw them feeding yesterday morning. It was a change in diet that I think he couldn't handle.[/b]

I think he was given breastmilk before and was doing fine on that, so we'll see what happens in the next couple days.

IcePrincessKRS

E-mail update from Sara:

[quote]I apologize if this is a little more information than some of you are looking for but I've had a lot of questions about Brodie's health and figured I would share with all.

There have been several new developments since the last updated I sent. Thursday Brodie was deemed well enough to be moved out of the PICU and into the Pediatric Intermediate Care Unit (IMC). This was great news as it meant Fiona could finally meet her little brother. Which she did yesterday afternoon. I'll send pictures when I get them uploaded or you can check out Joe's Facebook page since he usually gets them posted there pretty quickly.
Unfortunately our little man had a complication on his path to a full recovery. Thursday even Brodie had some very dark bowl movements which is a sign of blood. They seemed to clear up by Friday afternoon, so Joe and I decided to run a few errands and take Fiona home for a nap.
I had plans to come back and stay the night and Joe was going to come hang for a bit before going back home. Around 8pm I got a call from one of Brodie's many doctors saying he had been puking blood in the late afternoon. They aren't sure what has caused the bleeding yet but say that it isn't terribly uncommon after such a big surgery. He's had another echocardiogram which shows his heart looking just the way its supposed to. He stomach was x-rayed and that looked clear too.
A gastrointestinal doctor has come to see Brodie and has taken him off his feeds and aspirin for at least 24 hours. Brodie had been getting fed via a feeding tube through the nose directly into his intestine. Aspirin can be an irritant to the stomach however it's also needed to keep Brodie's blood thin enough to prevent any clots from forming in the artificial valve he has in his heart right now. Because he's just a little baby his heart can't handle a very large valve, so blood clotting is a major concern until that valve can be removed during his second surgery. They'll get him back on aspirin as soon as possible. In the meantime he has been given another medication to reduce the stomach acids to help cut any further irritation and promote healing.
Brodie is on an IV for nourishment and hasn't had any more vomiting since being taken off his feeds.
To end on a high note his heart seems to be doing really well. He was able to be taken completely off oxygen this morning which is a very big deal! It means his heart is pumping the right amount of blood to the right places! The average oxygen absorption rate is 100%, the doctors would like Brodie's to be between 70-80. He has impressed them all by keeping it in the high 80's.

As always, thank you for the continued prayers, love and support!

Sara, Joe, Fiona & Brodie.[/quote]