An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Mass

Resurrexi

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+J.M.J.+
it depends on well they are 'done'. i'd like a well-done EF Mass to a poorly done OF and vice versa.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1902841' date='Jun 27 2009, 02:55 PM']+J.M.J.+
it depends on well they are 'done'. i'd like a well-done EF Mass to a poorly done OF and vice versa.[/quote]

For the purposes of this poll, keep in mind the manner in which each form is usually celebrated in the United States.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1902844' date='Jun 27 2009, 01:56 PM']Mass is Mass. As long as it's got Jesus, I'm happy.[/quote]

I concur.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1902844' date='Jun 27 2009, 02:56 PM']Mass is Mass. As long as it's got Jesus, I'm happy.[/quote]

If there were a perfect parish across the street from your house where both the EF and OF were celebrated at equally convenient times, which would you attend?

goldenchild17

Tridentine Latin Mass is my regular, but I will attend any Eastern Rite liturgy if that is an available option. Will never ever go to Novus Ordo.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1902856' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:07 PM']If there were a perfect parish across the street from your house where both the EF and OF were celebrated at equally convenient times, which would you attend?[/quote]
that is a good question.

I think I would attend both, however I would probably attend the OF more often since the readings are more diverse. I believe the entire Bible gets read in a what two or three year cycle. Plus there are two readings on Sundays and major feasts as opposed to one. And I like the particapatory dimension as a simple lay person without having to be a priest, deacon or server. Finally I like the fact that I can understand the readings and prayers everyday and hear out loud.

The Latin readings of the EF tend to be static and repetative. At the same time I appreciate the rubrics of the EF, and the Latin sequences, the symbolism, etc. I also appreciate the solemnity and reverence it conjures up within me.

I would probably attend the EF once a week and on select feast days.

Edited by kafka

[quote name='kafka' post='1902895' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:02 PM']that is a good question. I think I would attend both, however I would probably attend the OF more often since the readings are more diverse. I believe the entire Bible gets read in a what two or three year cycle. Plus there are two readings on Sundays and major feasts as opposed to one.

The Latin readings tend to be static and repetative. At the same time I appreciate the rubrics of the EF, and the Latin sequences, the symbolism, etc. I would probably attend the EF once a week and on select feast days.[/quote]

I actually like the repetitiveness of the epistles and gospels in the EF. I think that hearing the same passages of Scripture on a particular Sunday each year helps to impress those passages on our mind better. Additionally, the passages read in the EF tend to be shorter, which leaves more time for praying the other parts of the Mass more devoutly. In the OF, where there are longer readings, it is often the case that the shortest Eucharistic prayer is chosen to save time, which I find problematic.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1902906' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:15 PM']What's a perfect parish?[/quote]

Perhaps I should have said "an ideal parish."

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1902929' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:37 PM']I prefer the OF.[/quote]

Do you ever go to the EF?