OraProMe Posted July 4, 2009 Author Posted July 4, 2009 (edited) I'll continue, Rex. That approach to faith is bad because it relies not on human reason but on legalistic and magisterial assent. I once told you that if you keep following blindly you'll have a crisis and no amount of ecclesial documentation will help you. For me that "crisis" was accepting my homosexuality and when I honestly tried to answer questions for myself rather than looking up some obscure latin bull I started to see holes in the faith I'd built for myself. You're only 15, one day you'll come to a crisis and hopefully your faith will have matured to a point where you're able to question and not fall flat on your face. I don't think you need to amend your positions, I just think you need to approach them differently and learn more productive ways to express your beliefs. Edited July 4, 2009 by OraProMe
rachael Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910566' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:50 AM']I think that there is a point at which one just needs to accept what the Church teaches.[/quote] What the heck?! You don't question what you learn?! That's like never questioning your parents... Blindly following faith is dangerous. Edited July 4, 2009 by rachael
MIKolbe Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 OPM is right kinda what i told you in my pm, rexi... remember St. Paul.... The greatest among these is love. not canons, rubrics, GRIM, or the like.
Resurrexi Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='OraProMe' post='1910567' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:50 AM']I'll continue, Rex. That faith is bad because it relies not on human reason but on legalistic and magisterial assent. I once told you that if you keep following blindly you'll have a crisis and no amount of ecclesial documentation will help you. [/quote] Supernatural faith does not rely on human reason, Ora. If someone's faith in God relies only on reason, then it is not a supernatural faith, but a merely natural faith. The supernatural virtue of faith is accepting all the truths that the Church sets forth because God, who is the Truth itself, has made them known. Human faith in God precedes divine faith and boosts it up when in difficulty, but the divine and Catholic faith is accepting God's word because He cannot lie.
piano_freak184 Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910574' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:55 AM']OPM is right kinda what i told you in my pm, rexi... remember St. Paul.... The greatest among these is love. not canons, rubrics, GRIM, or the like.[/quote] is this srsly mikolbe?
OraProMe Posted July 4, 2009 Author Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='rachael' post='1910581' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:56 AM'][/quote] Yeah, basically.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 I feel so sorry for that smiley Rexi, you have a very solid base. Do yourself an enormous favour and go study law or history or something like that, and stay the hell away from mathematics and physics.
Hassan Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 (edited) [quote name='OraProMe' post='1910300' date='Jul 4 2009, 02:27 AM']OH REXI REXI IT'S A WILD WORLD. HARD TO GET BY WITHOUT A SMILE OH REXI REXI[/quote] Love that song except it's "hard to get by, just upon a smile" Edited July 4, 2009 by Hassan
Hassan Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1910465' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:38 AM']Raise your hand if you think Ora and Rexi need to get a room [/quote] The sexual tension is really starting to make me uncomfortable
MIKolbe Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='piano_freak184' post='1910617' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:33 AM']is this srsly mikolbe?[/quote] yes... I am not just a pretty face, charming disposition, and devastating wit.
Lil Red Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 +J.M.J.+ [quote name='OraProMe' post='1910507' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:39 AM']Life will sort him out. He's just a youngin', no need to take him too seriously.[/quote] so because he is young, he doesn't know the Truth? there are saints that were younger than him. [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910566' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:50 AM']I think that there is a point at which one just needs to accept what the Church teaches. One could spend his whole life analyzing every dogma to see if he could accept it. Whether or not he comes to realize that he does indeed accept all the dogmas of the Church, he has basically wasted his life. Even if you think that everyone [i]should [/i]spend his life analyzing every dogma to see if he finds each one convincing enough, not everyone has that time. Most adults have jobs and children. In fact, the reason that revealed religion is necessary, argues St. Thomas, is that not everyone has time to spend thinking about deep questions all day, nor is everyone smart enough to understand complex philosophical arguments. This is why I think that it is best just to accept what the Church teaches. I certainly don't understand every dogma; I don't always understand how I can even [i]accept [/i]every dogma. At the end of the day, though, I submit myself to the Church because I believe that God speaks to us through His Church.[/quote] agreed. i think there comes a point where you can only research so much. you just have to take it on faith. this is why papal infallibility is so important. [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910737' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:18 PM']I am [s]not[/s] just a pretty face, [s]charming disposition, and devastating wit.[/s][/quote] fixed it anyway, i don't understand why everyone is picking on rex so much. yes, he's abrasive, annoying, pedantic, and pompous (i swear i'm going somewhere good with this!). but he has a right to his opinions, especially if they are informed by Church teaching. he may not express things in the most loving, charitable, or helpful manner, i realize. but perhaps instead of knocking him down, people could lead by example. (btw, i'm talking to myself as much as anyone here since i haven't always been the most charitable to rex either). GOD Bless everyone today!
MIKolbe Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 i KNEW you think i am cute!! i SOOOO knew it. As for Rexi, I will take it under advisement. I ask that the history and present are taken into consideration. and, to be fair, I am an equal opportunity jerk.
Lil Red Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910752' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:31 PM']i KNEW you think i am cute!! i SOOOO knew it.[/quote] +J.M.J.+
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 I agree with Red. Although I can't testify to MIKolbe's cuteness.
Lil Red Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1910777' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:45 PM']I agree with Red. Although I can't testify to MIKolbe's cuteness.[/quote] just trust me on this.
MIKolbe Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1910777' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:45 PM']I agree with Red. Although I can't testify to MIKolbe's cuteness.[/quote] the proper nomenclature is "Ruggedly Handsome"
Lil Red Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910780' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:48 PM']the proper nomenclature is [s]"Ruggedly Handsome"[/s]"Cute as a Button"[/quote] fixed it again
rachael Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910752' date='Jul 4 2009, 01:31 PM']and, to be fair, I am an equal opportunity jerk.[/quote] as am i [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910780' date='Jul 4 2009, 01:48 PM']the proper nomenclature is "Ruggedly Handsome"[/quote] i think i just barfed
MIKolbe Posted July 4, 2009 Posted July 4, 2009 [quote name='rachael' post='1910795' date='Jul 4 2009, 01:40 PM']i think i just barfed[/quote] kafka just pm'ed you again, didn't he?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now