Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

You aren't too much older than I am, Ora.

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1910507' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:39 AM']Life will sort him out. He's just a youngin', no need to take him too seriously.[/quote]

were you this uptight when you were 15? :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910511' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:41 AM']You aren't too much older than I am, Ora.[/quote]

I can guarantee you that I've had far more experience with the world than you have. Your traditional beliefs are fine, but it's obvious by the way you express them that you have absolutely no tact.

Sure you've got a great knowledge of Catholic doctrine and law but what you're really doing is avoiding independant and logical thought, which isn't smart at all.

Posted (edited)

You're eighteen? I'll be sixteen next week. You've had two more years worth of life experience than I have had. That isn't terribly long.

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

Right, but look at how you view the world and how I view the world.
Look at how much fun I make of myself and how seriously you take yourself.

Posted

I don't take myself too seriously except when I'm talking about theology.

Posted (edited)

I'm not trying to be mean because as I've stated previously I do like you for some twisted reason, but do you have many friends in real life? I mean given that you've said you'd give your friends a talking to if they commited fornication or that you wouldn't go to a party if there was some sort of sin taking place I can't imagine many 21st century youth finding you all that appealing. A tunnel vision mentality doesn't usually go down well with decent people. The very fact you created a thread asking for Catholic things you should memorize over the summer holidays speaks volumes.

Which is a sad thing ):

Edited by OraProMe
Posted (edited)

Yes, I have a few close friends. lol. None of my very close friends have committed fornication, as far as I know, though I doubt that they would tell me if they did since they know how I would react. haha.

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910535' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:04 AM']Yes, I few close friends. lol. None of my very close friends have committed fornication, as far as I know, though I doubt that they would tell me if they did since they know how I would react. haha.[/quote]
would you count them as friends anymore if they did?

Posted

I certainly would.

Posted

ha, yeah. That's what I mean.
Why would you have to react badly? Couldn't you just realize that it's up to them to save their soul and get on with being friends.

Posted

I wouldn't necessarily react angrily. I would just be very disappointed and show that disappointment.

Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1910539' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:07 AM']ha, yeah. That's what I mean.
Why would you have to react badly? Couldn't you just realize that it's up to them to save their soul and get on with being friends.[/quote]
yes. people aren't going to stop living or sinning just because they're afraid of how you might react. they'll just learn to hide it better.

Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1910541' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:09 AM']yes. people aren't going to stop living or sinning just because they're afraid of how you might react. they'll just learn to hide it better.[/quote]

That's probably true in most cases.

Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1910512' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:42 AM']were you this uptight when you were 15? :unsure:[/quote]

Probably, I was a full on hardcore traditionalist when I was 15. Lots like Rex actually.

Posted (edited)

We probably would have gotten along much better if you were still fifteen.

:mellow:

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910549' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:29 AM']We probably would have gotten along much better if you were still fifteen.

:mellow:[/quote]

I think we'd get along pretty well now if we could both agree to leave the homosexuality thing alone. I was a lot like you (you may have picked up some traditionalist sentiments when I referenced books of Arch. Lefebvre) and I can look back at myself in retrospect and see many of the tendencies you exhibit now. Rigid belief, accepting something just because the Church says so, need for an almost exlusive religion (hence heavy emphasis on canon law and EENS), desire to see the world in black and white, inability to take other peoples viewpoints into account etc. A lot of stuff.

It doesn't make for a healthy religion or a productive encounter with the world.
I know where you are coming from, that's why I get onto you so much.

Edited by OraProMe
Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1910555' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:38 AM']I think we'd get along pretty well now if we could both agree to leave the homosexuality thing alone. I was a lot like you (you may have picked up some traditionalist sentiments when I referenced books of Arch. Lefebvre) and I can look back at myself in retrospect and see many of the tendencies you exhibit now. Rigid belief, accepting something just because the Church says so, need for an almost exlusive religion (hence heavy emphasis on canon law and EENS), desire to see the world in black and white, inability to take other peoples viewpoints into account etc. A lot of stuff.

It doesn't make for a healthy religion or a productive encounter with the world.
I know where you are coming from, that's why I get onto you so much.[/quote]
i was on my way there once. then i learned to question things. :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1910524' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:53 AM']I don't take myself too seriously except when I'm talking about theology.[/quote]
don't worry..

I don't take you too seriously ESPECIALLY when you are talking theology.

:mellow:

Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1910555' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:38 AM']accepting something just because the Church says so[/quote]

I think that there is a point at which one just needs to accept what the Church teaches. One could spend his whole life analyzing every dogma to see if he could accept it. Whether or not he comes to realize that he does indeed accept all the dogmas of the Church, he has basically wasted his life.

Even if you think that everyone [i]should [/i]spend his life analyzing every dogma to see if he finds each one convincing enough, not everyone has that time. Most adults have jobs and children.

In fact, the reason that revealed religion is necessary, argues St. Thomas, is that not everyone has time to spend thinking about deep questions all day, nor is everyone smart enough to understand complex philosophical arguments.

This is why I think that it is best just to accept what the Church teaches.

I certainly don't understand every dogma; I don't always understand how I can even [i]accept [/i]every dogma. At the end of the day, though, I submit myself to the Church because I believe that God speaks to us through His Church.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...