An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Want To Vent

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912287' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:54 PM']At the Newman Center, it's a hug-fest at the sign of peace and it's basically a party for a few minutes. :annoyed:

I'm thinking of how to stop it next year. :sword:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/onerepublic/track/mercy"]OneRepublic - Mercy[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]

Get the priest to celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass. :yes:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1912289' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:55 PM']Get the priest to celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass. :yes:[/quote]

I wish that was a feasible option. :mellow: I'll be lucky to get at least 75% kneeling at the consecration. :annoyed:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/onerepublic/track/mercy"]OneRepublic - Mercy[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912287' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:54 PM']At the Newman Center, it's a hug-fest at the sign of peace and it's basically a party for a few minutes. :annoyed:

I'm thinking of how to stop it next year. :sword:[/quote]

Take everyone to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament for a weekend retreat. Then comment, "Isn't it nice how they leave out the sign of peace amongst the congregation? It's so much less distracting! I was able to focus so much more on the Fraction!" ;)

What Newman Center are you from?

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1912301' date='Jul 6 2009, 12:03 AM']Take everyone to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament for a weekend retreat. Then comment, "Isn't it nice how they leave out the sign of peace amongst the congregation? It's so much less distracting! I was able to focus so much more on the Fraction!" ;)

What Newman Center are you from?[/quote]

Rolla, Missouri at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/firefly"]Breaking Benjamin - Firefly[/url]

tinytherese

At my old school, I would have been estatic if he had even gotten a Newman Center. The student population only had 312 total students though and not many were Catholic so go figure.

eagle_eye222001

At Rolla, there is at least a thousand students who checkmark the "Catholic" box when the come there. About forty go to weekly mass on Wednesday nights. Probably about 80-100 go weekly. About 20 are very active with the Newman Center itself.

Of those 20, about eight are conservative.

Great numbers I know. :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/ludwig+van+beethoven/track/beethoven%3a+symphony+%239+in+d+minor%2c+op.+125%2c+%22choral%22+-+4.+presto%2c+%22o+freunde%2c+nicht+diese+t%c8%b5ne!%22%2c+allegro+assai"]Ludwig Van Beethoven - Beethoven: Symphony #9 In D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral" - 4. Presto, "O Freunde, Nicht Diese Tȵne!", Allegro Assai[/url]

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911814' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:15 PM']It threw me at first. The Canadian bishops decided that standing is the position of communal reverence (such as for the flag or when someone important enters the room), and that kneeling is the position of individual penance. So we are supposed to stand for the whole thing. Some older people, or new immigrants still kneel.[/quote]
I think our bishop ordered everyone in the diocese to kneel anyway. :P
I'm not sure though. Posture always gets me. I do what everyone else does, because I seem to have some kind of mental block for remembering what I'm supposed to be doing.

VeniteAdoremus

We have oldfashioned pews, so I get to poke people in the back with my very sharp elbows if they don't kneel :evil:

By the way, in the "good old" pre-VCII-days, men were playing cards in the back pews. Sometimes for money. There is no such thing as the "good old days".

homeschoolmom

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1912482' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:50 AM']By the way, in the "good old" pre-VCII-days, men were playing cards in the back pews. Sometimes for money. There is no such thing as the "good old days".[/quote]
:detective:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1912280' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:48 PM']I was in middle school when Michael Jackson was still black.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

i hated middle school.

tinytherese

[quote name='rachael' post='1912535' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:18 AM']:lol_roll:

i hated middle school.[/quote]

So did I.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911570' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:01 PM']What drives me even more nuts is when cantors think they're exempt from all kneeling, especially during the words of consecration :([/quote]
the cantors at my parish never kneel, either. I know I'm young and don't have trouble with my knees, but it seems to me that a lot of people don't realize that it's possible to kneel without kneelers! it's like if they don't have a kneeler, they don't think they can (or have to) kneel.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1912281' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:48 PM']Jesus must just MISS them so much. If they only knew...[/quote]
:sadder:
I hadn't thought of it like that. He must. :(

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912287' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:54 PM']At the Newman Center, it's a hug-fest at the sign of peace and it's basically a party for a few minutes. :annoyed:

I'm thinking of how to stop it next year. :sword:[/quote]
that's the way it is at my high school's senior Mass. it's seriously a 15 minute long sign of peace, because each of the 275 seniors believes it's necessary to find the other 274 and hug them. I complain about it every year, and every year I hear "oh, you'll understand when you're a senior." :annoyed: it's a "tradition" that my school should have never allowed to form.

Edited by Brigid

Mrs. Bro. Adam

There are kneelers actually provided for cantors right next to where they cantor.

Sometimes all you can do is be a good example. The parish where I used to attend would not knell after the Lamb of God. Micah and I would kneel anyway. Some of the youth started picking up on us kneeling and began to kneel as well. So just keep kneeling and being a good example. If someone asks why you're kneeling, take the moment to evangelize but be careful not to come across as holier than thou or know-it-allish.

[quote name='StColette' post='1912733' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:50 PM']Sometimes all you can do is be a good example. The parish where I used to attend would not knell after the Lamb of God. Micah and I would kneel anyway. Some of the youth started picking up on us kneeling and began to kneel as well. So just keep kneeling and being a good example. If someone asks why you're kneeling, take the moment to evangelize but be careful not to come across as holier than thou or know-it-allish.[/quote]

This is another thing that varies a lot from place to place and it's so annoying. Most places kneel after the Lamb of God. Here in Cleveland at the bishop's direct request we do not. I would love to kneel but I figure Jesus is even better pleased by obedience to an annoying request than by kneeling. Why must Cleveland be so backward in all respects.