Luthien Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1911814' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:15 PM']It threw me at first. The Canadian bishops decided that standing is the position of communal reverence (such as for the flag or when someone important enters the room), and that kneeling is the position of individual penance. So we are supposed to stand for the whole thing. Some older people, or new immigrants still kneel.[/quote] Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911801' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:54 PM']They don't kneel during the consecration? Is that even a valid Mass?[/quote] Er. Yes. What the faithful do has no effect whatsoever on the validity of the mass (thank God!) It's pretty common actually.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote]
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted July 5, 2009 Author Posted July 5, 2009 I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid? Forgive my ignorance.
Maggyie Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911822' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:28 PM']I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid? Forgive my ignorance.[/quote] Nope! That would still be a valid Mass.. thank goodness!!
CatherineM Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote] It's in the GIRM that way, somewhere in the 40's, I think. Bishops can make local adaptions to some things. I think that it is just to be different from the Americans. We say the Apostle's Creed instead of the Nicene as well here. Canadians can have inferiority complexes, so doing anything to be different from the Americans is very popular here.
tinytherese Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 I'm tired of gymn masses at our parish. Unfortunately, the renovations in the church won't be done until Christmas.
homeschoolmom Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911822' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:28 PM']I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid? Forgive my ignorance.[/quote] As long as a validly ordained priest says the proper words of consecration, with proper intent, using proper hosts and wine, it is a valid consecration. These are the things that may stand in the way of transubstantiation and thus invalidate the consecration. The priest could dance up and down the aisle singing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" and that would not invalidate the mass.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted July 5, 2009 Author Posted July 5, 2009 Makes me miss the days where true reverence was seen in the Mass...by all...
Lil Red Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote] +J.M.J.+ the local bishops have the authority to change that if they wish. ours did.
rachael Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911895' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:34 PM']Makes me miss the days where true reverence was seen in the Mass...by all...[/quote] haven't you been Catholic for like....5 years? just saying...
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted July 6, 2009 Author Posted July 6, 2009 Yes, and I miss those days. I was very blessed to attend very reverent parishes in the first few years as a Catholic
homeschoolmom Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 Ah, the mid-2000s... those were the good ol' days.
cmaD2006 Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1911718' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:28 PM']I can't stand it when cantors and/or instrumentalists don't kneel, either. The one and only time I have played (trumpet) for Mass was at last year's convocation Mass for my school... I had the hardest time following along and trying to see where I was supposed to be playing and when I wasn't, that before I knew it, it was the Consecration! I feel horrible because I [i]didn't[/i] kneel. The other trumpeter next to me didn't, and neither did any of the rest of the "music ministry". So I didn't know what to do. If I play again this year, I definitely plan on kneeling, though.[/quote] Well as a guitarist at a spanish mass I usually kneel ... but sometimes it does put the Guitar in peril.... (esp. if I don't have a guitar stand handy).
Angel*Star Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='tinytherese' post='1911726' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:36 PM']I remember during my senior year how when we celebrated mass at my high school that at the end of one the sophomores were congradulated for actually improving their behavior at mass. I thought that that was pathetic and that they still were not behaving as they should have. I mean when you're that old shouldn't you know better? 15 and 16 year olds behaving like 2 year olds at mass! If their parents were there they would have behaved a heck of a lot better.[/quote] Are you sure about that? Today at mass there was a man (I am not making this up) clipping his finger nails! UGH!
Sojourner Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1911830' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:36 PM']It's in the GIRM that way, somewhere in the 40's, I think. Bishops can make local adaptions to some things. I think that it is just to be different from the Americans. We say the Apostle's Creed instead of the Nicene as well here. Canadians can have inferiority complexes, so doing anything to be different from the Americans is very popular here.[/quote] Actually I've been to several parishes which stood. I think it is an option in the U.S. as well, depending on the bishop's decision. I was thrown at first as well, but I've come to learn one can be reverent while standing just as well as one can be reverent and respectful while kneeling. If, for example, the President or another head of state were to enter the room, the proper response would be to stand out of respect. We stand out of respect for a judge entering the courtroom. It seems like this gesture could be equally respectful during consecration, if the local ordinary so determined it was. It's kind of like how we should dress at Mass in a manner similar to how we would dress to meet the President or other heads of state.
Resurrexi Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1912126' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:53 PM']Ah, the mid-2000s... those were the good ol' days.[/quote] Middle school was a pretty great experience.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now