An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Want To Vent

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Our music director actually instructed the cantors/choir not to kneel as it made a big mess with all of the people struggling to get down on their knees and then struggling to get up and some of them falling over as they did so. This was especially the case at the consecration where they had to get up fairly quickly for the "Dying You destroyed our death, rising You restored our life/Christ has died, Christ is risen etc" then back down for the rest of the Eucharistic prayer, then up again for the Great Amen.

The music director, who is a perfectly orthodox guy, asked around and decided that it was more reverent to have them all remain standing rather than the huge disorganized display we had before. There is one young man who cantors whom I have noticed still kneels at the proper times. Then again he is very young and spry and moves pretty fast...

CatherineM

We stand here during the consecration, so that's not an issue for me when I cantor. I have agreed not to wear a t-shirt or baseball cap while singing, other than that, they leave me alone on my clothing.

Validity of the Mass depends only on the proper form and proper matter. It all revolves around what the priest does and says, not the congregation... very very little is required for a valid Mass. That said the congregation should definitely be kneeling during the consecration!

Edited by Maggie

CatherineM

It threw me at first. The Canadian bishops decided that standing is the position of communal reverence (such as for the flag or when someone important enters the room), and that kneeling is the position of individual penance. So we are supposed to stand for the whole thing. Some older people, or new immigrants still kneel.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911814' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:15 PM']It threw me at first. The Canadian bishops decided that standing is the position of communal reverence (such as for the flag or when someone important enters the room), and that kneeling is the position of individual penance. So we are supposed to stand for the whole thing. Some older people, or new immigrants still kneel.[/quote]

Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911801' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:54 PM']They don't kneel during the consecration? Is that even a valid Mass?[/quote]

Er. Yes. What the faithful do has no effect whatsoever on the validity of the mass (thank God!)

It's pretty common actually.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote]

:yes:

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid?

Forgive my ignorance.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911822' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:28 PM']I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid?

Forgive my ignorance.[/quote]

Nope! That would still be a valid Mass.. thank goodness!! :)

CatherineM

[quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote]

It's in the GIRM that way, somewhere in the 40's, I think. Bishops can make local adaptions to some things. I think that it is just to be different from the Americans. We say the Apostle's Creed instead of the Nicene as well here. Canadians can have inferiority complexes, so doing anything to be different from the Americans is very popular here.

tinytherese

I'm tired of gymn masses at our parish. Unfortunately, the renovations in the church won't be done until Christmas.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911822' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:28 PM']I suppose I'm assuming that when she said they don't kneel during the consecration that the priest doesn't kneel either. And wouldn't that make it invalid?

Forgive my ignorance.[/quote]
As long as a validly ordained priest says the proper words of consecration, with proper intent, using proper hosts and wine, it is a valid consecration. These are the things that may stand in the way of transubstantiation and thus invalidate the consecration. The priest could dance up and down the aisle singing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" and that would not invalidate the mass.