An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Want To Vent

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Drives me nuts when those who are supposed to be serving in the Mass, readers, altar servers, cantors, wear jeans and tight fitting shirts to serve in. Whatever happened to respect for the Mass?

Mrs. Bro. Adam

What drives me even more nuts is when cantors think they're exempt from all kneeling, especially during the words of consecration :(

+J.M.J.+
i know our regular cantor doesn't kneel because her knees are really bad.

since i can't see under the alb that the altar servers wear, it bugs me that they can't at least wear nice shoes. they wear flip flops or sneakers or something equally sloppy. :( geez, the only part we see is your feet and even those you can't dress nice? :rolleyes:

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I know most of the cantors, since I cantor myself, and there is one lovely lady who is incredibly respectful but unable to kneel. That I don't mind, because she is being the most reverent she can with what her body allows. What gets to me is those who are physical healthy and able to kneel, but don't. For example, the cantor last night will be a sophomore in high school next year. She's very fit, and yet does not kneel.

We had three girls who would cantor regularly, and none of them used to kneel until one of their mothers asked her daughter to. The daughter knelt, but then she was catching heat from one of the other girls who wasn't kneeling. It saddens me to see the lack of respect which the youth have been shown for the Mass. :(

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I agree about the footwear, Red. At least wear dress shoes if nothing else. After all, at least try and make the impression that you have some respect for the Mass by what you wear to serve :idontknow:

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

CatherineM

About a month ago, our priest did mass in his house shoes. I thought that was a bit weird, but found out later he had something wrong with a toe nail and couldn't put his regular shoes on. Good thing there's no snow right now. At least they weren't pink fuzzy house shoes.

eagle_eye222001

Many of those people think it's okay too not kneel or wear casual clothes. :(

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/norbertine+fathers+of+st.+michaels+abbey/track/giovanni+pierluigi+da+palestrina+-+tu+nobis+dona"]Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina - Tu Nobis Dona[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

I've been dragged into the sacristy once while I was wearing sandals. And did I get flak for that! Not only me, but my dad and the sacristan as well!

Our "little old ladies" are vigilant :)

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911612' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:29 PM']About a month ago, our priest did mass in his house shoes. I thought that was a bit weird, but found out later he had something wrong with a toe nail and couldn't put his regular shoes on. Good thing there's no snow right now. At least they weren't pink fuzzy house shoes.[/quote]

yeah, our priest always does mass in his socks because he has something wrong with his feet and cannot get any shoes on. luckily, the rectory is connected to the church so he doesn't have to go outside.

TeresaBenedicta

I can't stand it when cantors and/or instrumentalists don't kneel, either.

The one and only time I have played (trumpet) for Mass was at last year's convocation Mass for my school... I had the hardest time following along and trying to see where I was supposed to be playing and when I wasn't, that before I knew it, it was the Consecration! I feel horrible because I [i]didn't[/i] kneel. The other trumpeter next to me didn't, and neither did any of the rest of the "music ministry". So I didn't know what to do. If I play again this year, I definitely plan on kneeling, though.

tinytherese

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911589' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:16 PM']I know most of the cantors, since I cantor myself, and there is one lovely lady who is incredibly respectful but unable to kneel. That I don't mind, because she is being the most reverent she can with what her body allows. What gets to me is those who are physical healthy and able to kneel, but don't. For example, the cantor last night will be a sophomore in high school next year. She's very fit, and yet does not kneel.

We had three girls who would cantor regularly, and none of them used to kneel until one of their mothers asked her daughter to. The daughter knelt, but then she was catching heat from one of the other girls who wasn't kneeling. It saddens me to see the lack of respect which the youth have been shown for the Mass. :([/quote]

I remember during my senior year how when we celebrated mass at my high school that at the end of one the sophomores were congradulated for actually improving their behavior at mass. I thought that that was pathetic and that they still were not behaving as they should have. I mean when you're that old shouldn't you know better? 15 and 16 year olds behaving like 2 year olds at mass! If their parents were there they would have behaved a heck of a lot better.

Norseman82

Ironically, I started reading at my parish today.

Normally, the people in charge should give a dress code (I had joked about coming in motorcycle racing leathers), or one should simply observe what the others wear, but from what I'm reading on this thread that may not do some parishes any good.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I got flak for kneeling from other cantors when I first started. When approached and told that I shouldn't kneel after cantoring a Mass, I simply replied, "How can I not when I am that close to the king of kings? Our Lord, Our Savior? The one who gave his life for me?" Needless to say, I've not gotten another comment about how I "shouldn't" kneel when I cantor.

Cantor are part of those who are supposed to set the example of how to dress and behave at Mass. Or am I incorrect?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911737' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:45 PM']Cantor are part of those who are supposed to set the example of how to dress and behave at Mass. Or am I incorrect?[/quote]

Yup. Cantors, servers, readers, ushers... if you want to be in the special place, you'd better behave like you belong there :)