An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Want To Vent

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Luthien' post='1911818' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:25 PM']Im pretty sure Rome says kneeling is the liturgical norm, correct me if Im wrong.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
the local bishops have the authority to change that if they wish. ours did.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1911895' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:34 PM']Makes me miss the days where true reverence was seen in the Mass...by all...[/quote]
haven't you been Catholic for like....5 years? :unsure:

just saying... :unsure:

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Yes, and I miss those days.

I was very blessed to attend very reverent parishes in the first few years as a Catholic :P

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1911718' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:28 PM']I can't stand it when cantors and/or instrumentalists don't kneel, either.

The one and only time I have played (trumpet) for Mass was at last year's convocation Mass for my school... I had the hardest time following along and trying to see where I was supposed to be playing and when I wasn't, that before I knew it, it was the Consecration! I feel horrible because I [i]didn't[/i] kneel. The other trumpeter next to me didn't, and neither did any of the rest of the "music ministry". So I didn't know what to do. If I play again this year, I definitely plan on kneeling, though.[/quote]

Well as a guitarist at a spanish mass I usually kneel ... but sometimes it does put the Guitar in peril.... (esp. if I don't have a guitar stand handy).

Angel*Star

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1911726' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:36 PM']I remember during my senior year how when we celebrated mass at my high school that at the end of one the sophomores were congradulated for actually improving their behavior at mass. I thought that that was pathetic and that they still were not behaving as they should have. I mean when you're that old shouldn't you know better? 15 and 16 year olds behaving like 2 year olds at mass! If their parents were there they would have behaved a heck of a lot better.[/quote]

Are you sure about that?

Today at mass there was a man (I am not making this up) clipping his finger nails! UGH!

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911830' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:36 PM']It's in the GIRM that way, somewhere in the 40's, I think. Bishops can make local adaptions to some things. I think that it is just to be different from the Americans. We say the Apostle's Creed instead of the Nicene as well here. Canadians can have inferiority complexes, so doing anything to be different from the Americans is very popular here.[/quote]
Actually I've been to several parishes which stood. I think it is an option in the U.S. as well, depending on the bishop's decision.

I was thrown at first as well, but I've come to learn one can be reverent while standing just as well as one can be reverent and respectful while kneeling.

If, for example, the President or another head of state were to enter the room, the proper response would be to stand out of respect. We stand out of respect for a judge entering the courtroom. It seems like this gesture could be equally respectful during consecration, if the local ordinary so determined it was. It's kind of like how we should dress at Mass in a manner similar to how we would dress to meet the President or other heads of state.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1912126' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:53 PM']Ah, the mid-2000s... those were the good ol' days.[/quote]

Middle school was a pretty great experience.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1912271' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:39 PM']Middle school was a pretty great experience.[/quote]
<_<

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1912274' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:44 PM']<_<[/quote]

Did you not like middle school or something?

:unsure:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1912275' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:45 PM']Did you not like middle school or something?

:unsure:[/quote]
I was in middle school when Michael Jackson was still black.

Going to mass on sundays at my parish has been really jarring for me... It's obvious most of the parishioners just don't get it. Today this woman and her daughter both had their feet set on the thing that holds the hymnals, like they were watching a movie. And oh my gosh the sign of peace! Everyone's waving and laughing and such... They do kneel for the consecration, at least (the cantors don't though).

And the way everyone receives Holy Communion... :ohno: I really feel sorry for them. I wonder why they even go... I mean I guess I should be glad they do go at least. But it's like that's just what they do.

And then as soon as Mass is over everyone is up walking around and talking and laughing, no one genuflects... Jesus must just MISS them so much. If they only knew...

eagle_eye222001

At the Newman Center, it's a hug-fest at the sign of peace and it's basically a party for a few minutes. :annoyed:

I'm thinking of how to stop it next year. :sword:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/onerepublic/track/mercy"]OneRepublic - Mercy[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]