An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Doctrine Or Moral Teaching....

OraProMe

I realize this is pretty personal so a lot of people probably wont feel comfortable opening up.
But it'd be interesting.

Marie-Therese

Good question.

I think, as a convert, the concept of Papal Infallibility was one of the hardest for me. God has given me a lot of graces, one of which is a growing comfort with obedience, but that took a while for me to give the OK to intellectually. I did, though, defer going through RCIA until I was 100 percent sure I would be able to be obedient to the Church, so in terms of post-confirmation it is a non-issue.

I think I struggle with some issues... not on a level of having difficulty accepting a teaching or being limited in my ability to yield intellectual assent, but more for reasons of my own human limits. For example, I still struggle with the ability to completely GET that God forgives me. I intellectually get the idea of absolution, but I have a harder time accepting it for myself. I know that isn't where you were going with that question, but I think that is my bigger struggle, more so than having a problem with assent to the teaching of the Church.

Did that make any sense, or am I rambling again? LOL

Well first, I have trouble with believing that there is a God/Heaven/Hell.

Second, the teaching on gay marriage. When I was younger my parents told me gay marriage was bad, but when I got older and went to college (where I am now) I made my own judgement on the issue and I am in support of gay marriage now.

Third, contraception. I think it is important because promoting abstinence does not work.

Fourth, the supposed infallibility of the church...

Edited by Kitty

Had trouble for a long time about condoms after attending the funerals of way too many young men. Now that the evidence is in that in places that have embraced condom use, AIDS hasn't gone down as much as in places where abstinence is taught, I have been reminded of the wisdom of the theology of the body.

Other than that, the only other thing I have ever had an issue with is priestly celibacy, but that isn't a Doctrine, only a Discipline. I would prefer that we were able to maintain it, because it is the ideal, but there are just too many churches without priests. Access to the sacraments is more important to me.

However, I haven't been asked my opinion on either topic by the Vatican, and am content to continue following their lead. I also would never let my personal feelings on any topic influence my teachings as a Catechist.

[i]sigh[/i]

Contraception. Not that I specifically am at all interested in contraception (I'd be delighted to have a dozen kids, honestly) but certain contraceptive medications are the only cure to a debilitating medical condition I have. Not debilitating enough to kill me; just enough that, after puberty, I couldn't go to school, have a job, or... ironically... take care of children.

I'm trying to do the right thing, but maybe I'm just being stupid. I don't know.

[quote name='philothea' post='1925309' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:28 AM'][i]sigh[/i]

Contraception. Not that I specifically am at all interested in contraception (I'd be delighted to have a dozen kids, honestly) but certain contraceptive medications are the only cure to a debilitating medical condition I have. Not debilitating enough to kill me; just enough that, after puberty, I couldn't go to school, have a job, or... ironically... take care of children.

I'm trying to do the right thing, but maybe I'm just being stupid. I don't know.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you could take the pill for medical purposes.....
Aslong as you weren't using it to stop conception.

[quote name='philothea' post='1925309' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:28 PM'][i]sigh[/i]

I'm trying to do the right thing, but maybe I'm just being stupid. I don't know.[/quote]

Suffered horribly for decades, but refused to take the pill. After having the bad bout of food poisoning, that caused incredible stomach cramps, so bad they thought I was having a heart attack, they prescribed an anti-spasm medication. I checked it out, and one of the other uses are menstrual cramps. Been taking it ever since for that, and have had the first relief in 35+ years.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1925329' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:42 AM']Suffered horribly for decades, but refused to take the pill. After having the bad bout of food poisoning, that caused incredible stomach cramps, so bad they thought I was having a heart attack, they prescribed an anti-spasm medication. I checked it out, and one of the other uses are menstrual cramps. Been taking it ever since for that, and have had the first relief in 35+ years.[/quote]
Oh, that's fabulous that you found a fix. This girly stuff smells of elderberries. Cramps aren't my problem, but here's hoping that someday I find something too.

I'll talk to my extremely Catholic doctor again. I'm nearly 40 and it keeps getting worse. Soon enough it will be life-threatening and I won't have a choice. :wacko:

(And I really appreciate that someone out there is dumb and stubborn too. ;))

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1925425' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:27 AM']Wasn't there another thread just like this?[/quote]

There probably was.

I <3 your avatar, by the way. :)

Nihil Obstat

Before I knew better (and I'd like to stress that bit) I would have been considered dissenting on the Church's position on homosexuality, because of certain opinions I'm exposed to in my day to day life.

[quote name='philothea' post='1925309' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:28 AM'][i]sigh[/i]

My doctor seems to be able to solve a lot of these issues without the pill. Maybe check Couple to Couple League, Marilyn Shannon. She wrote a book entitled [u]Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition[/u]. I know several women who were able to find help with this book. Check out Couple to Couple League website. Maybe some could find answers there. I don't think the Catholic Church want women to suffer, they just don't want us using contraception.

And FYI, I had a daughter with some of these issues and the nurse told me on the phone the only thing the doctor ever does is prescribe the pill. She didn't exactly offer this, I asked if the doctor prescribed anything besides the pill. She seemed very surprised I would ask. She said she would ask, but never returned my call. My doctor helped her. He is Catholic and does not prescribe the pill. You may check the internet for a doctor near you at One More Soul.

You are not being stupid. You may actually be saving yourself from one or more of the many side effects of the pill no one talks about.

Recently I've always defended my point of views (against atheists) rather from a theist view than a christian or catholic view because their are few issues which I am unable to fully understand.

The issue of homosexuality for me is still confusing, I understand it is unnatural however I've always wondered why God has made them like that. It seems they have to carry a much bigger burden then some of us do. I did previously think that kissing was fine and only the sexual act was sinful however it seems I was wrong, kissing is sinful aswell and this really makes an uncomfortable subject to talk to with friends without looking like I hate homosexuals.

Contraception is another issue. I fully understand sex before marriage is wrong, for obvious reasons. However without contraception married sex seems very limited for a couple who don't want children or too many. And also some views are that sex should only be for creation purposes but im not 100% sure on the catholic view.

Another issue is what classify's someone going to hell/purgatory/heaven. If someone didn't follow the catholic faith, had pre-marriage sex lots, used contraception but was a good person and lived a good life would they go to hell or purgatory? Many seem to have different views on this.

I do need to read alot more however these are some of the issues I have.

TeresaBenedicta

Honestly, I don't think anything jives with me, really... I, too, am a convert. But I converted from atheism. And I kind of had in my mindset that it was the entire truth or nothing at all. I struggle with belief in God sometimes, so I suppose defacto that means struggling with the Church as a whole...

Before I converted I struggled a bit with Marian stuff. I accepted it, but I didn't understand it nor did I want to "participate" in Marian devotion. But I'm over that now. ;-)