An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Doctrine Or Moral Teaching....

OraProMe

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1928430' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:07 PM']The contraception issue is the single biggest thing (other than my dad) that keeps me from conversion. It's not the theology. I've read ToTB and get it. It's the not being thrilled about the idea of lots of kids in a short period of time. I'm working through it. I joke that I suffer from the Protestant "but why?" syndrome.

Missy, you aren't the only one. Icey, you have my respect for managing your family and sanity.[/quote]

Not sure if it helps you any, Anna, but I've been back in the Church for over two years and still have a "but why?" tantrum every once in a while--Phil can attest to it. The day I came home, I was probably the least "ready" I could have ever been...but I think if I waited to be 100% sure, I'd still be waiting.

So, 'cause I've been there, I'm definitely praying for you. :console:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1926472' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:21 PM']When protestants always ask why I pray the rosary and accuse me of being focused on Mary I explain to them the whole idea of watching Christs life through the eyes of His mother.

[b]Perhaps sometimes they think it's just a monotonous string of Hail Mary's and not meditations on moments from Our Lords life.[/b][/quote]
Yes, that's been my experience of what they think it is. And that it's worshipping Mary, according to the congregation in which I was raised. You can imagine the trouble I got into by knowing the Hail Mary. ;)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1929239' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:33 AM']*cough*brown scapular*cough*

Yeah, I went there :mellow:[/quote]

The brown scapular is a big lie because some people pressured you into wearing one?

I wear it because I find it a helpful reminder and spiritually strengthening. If you don't find it helpful or simply don't want to wear it, then don't.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

tinytherese

I found confession difficult because I felt embarassed doing it and I didn't see why Jesus would ask us to go through that. I also didn't see why we couldn't just ask Our Lord for forgiveness in prayer and get up and try to do better.

Yet in time I realized that the priest is not judging us or looking down on us but is there to help and guide us. And considering how many confessions that he hears, how likely is it that he would even remember what I did for long? I heard one man tell a story about how he asked a priest if he thought any less of a person because of the sins that they have committed and he actually said that he thought more of them because they had the courage to turn to back to God despite what they had done. Besides, he has probably gone through the some of the same struggles himself or currently is. He's human too and can even offer advice. Not to mention, he's an embassador of Our Lord--another Christ who forgives me through him.

Confession also helps us be humble and going more frequently is not required but it can help us to be more accountable for our sins and be more disciplined in our spiritual life.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1929347' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:51 AM']The brown scapular is a big lie because some people pressured you into wearing one?[/quote]

I don't see where SMM called the brown scapular a big lie. He merely said that he has been pressured into wearing it by fellow Catholics.

[quote name='StColette' post='1929419' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:37 AM']I don't see where SMM called the brown scapular a big lie. He merely said that he has been pressured into wearing it by fellow Catholics.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
ditto. i have also been pressured by fellow Catholics (well-meaning though they are)

Someone gives me trouble about not wearing a scapular, I just tell them I'm allergic to wool. It makes me itch like crazy.

Marie-Therese

That makes me sad that people would try and strongarm someone into a devotion!

I wear a brown scapular...I love it. Would I recommend it if asked? Sure, if I thought that the practice would be good in terms of that person's spiritual needs. I also try and hide the scapular as much as possible under my clothing, because to me it's a personal thing. It is not intended for public consumption. It's between me and my Mom.

Ach! People get so caught up in the[i] stuff[/i] and they tend to lose sight of the subject. :sadder: A person draped in medals can still go to Hell.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1929573' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:09 PM']That makes me sad that people would try and strongarm someone into a devotion!

I wear a brown scapular...I love it. Would I recommend it if asked? Sure, if I thought that the practice would be good in terms of that person's spiritual needs. I also try and hide the scapular as much as possible under my clothing, because to me it's a personal thing. It is not intended for public consumption. It's between me and my Mom.

Ach! People get so caught up in the[i] stuff[/i] and they tend to lose sight of the subject. :sadder: A person draped in medals can still go to Hell.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
amen.

and....

this is post 31,000!! :yahoo:

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1929584' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:13 PM']+J.M.J.+
amen.

and....

this is post 31,000!! :yahoo:[/quote]

:cheers: Do we get cake?

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1929592' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:22 PM']:cheers: Do we get cake?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i'm watching what i eat. :mellow:

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1929594' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:23 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm watching what i eat. :mellow:[/quote]

Me too...unfortunately I watch it as it goes into my mouth and disappears. ROFL

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1929595' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:24 PM']Me too...unfortunately I watch it as it goes into my mouth and disappears. ROFL[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:hehe:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1929511' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:27 PM']+J.M.J.+
ditto. i have also been pressured by fellow Catholics (well-meaning though they are)[/quote]
Good to hear I'm not alone.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1929567' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:03 PM']Someone gives me trouble about not wearing a scapular, I just tell them I'm allergic to wool. It makes me itch like crazy.[/quote]
I didn't know they had to be wool :mellow:

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1929573' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:09 PM']That makes me sad that people would try and strongarm someone into a devotion!

Ach! People get so caught up in the[i] stuff[/i] and they tend to lose sight of the subject. :sadder: A person draped in medals can still go to Hell.[/quote]
Amen.