An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Doctrine Or Moral Teaching....

OraProMe

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='havok579257' post='1925664' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:59 PM']a women is fertile more than 1-2 days a month.[/quote]

A woman's "fertile time" lasts more than one or two days a month, but she can only conceive on 1 or 2 days. The reason why her "fertile time" lasts longer is because sperm can live inside her body anywhere from 3 to 5 days. Even if a couple gives themselves a 4 day "cushion" before expected ovulation she could still conceive. So, basically, it's the dude's "fault" that the "fertile time" lasts longer than 2 days. :lol:

Excerpt from "The Art of Natural Family Planning" by John and Sheila Kippley:

"Phase II is the fertile time of the cycle when marital relations can result in pregnancy. If sperm live three to five days and fertilization of the egg can happen only on two days, then there are only five to seven days per cycle on which marital relations can result in pregnancy. However, in practicing NFP to avoid pregnancy, we normally add days before ovulation to take into account the possibility of long perm life or an extra day of ovulation."

Statistics show that proper use of NFP is as reliable or more so than pills, IUDs, condoms, etc. I'm not just quoting this from NFP sources, there are lots of secular sources out there that compare BC methods that quote 97-98% reliability for NFP, the same ratio most ABC methods claim.

I'm a revert, but growing up I never really knew the Faith. Now that I'm back, and I'm more informed (thank God), my biggie is contraception.

It was drilled into me from about age ten onward that if you didn't use at [i]least[/i] a condom, preferably a condom plus the pill, you were a fool. Anyone who gets pregnant by accident completely deserves it because of their "screwup".

Plus, I'm disabled--not severely, but enough to make things like cooking and cleaning and other chores a real challenge at times.

I'm called to marry, to be a wife and a mother. I'm just afraid of a large family...and of NFP, too. I know it works, I know the statistics, but my biggest fear is having many unplanned children with very little space between. In order to take care of a family, I will likely need to keep it small, especially if my future husband is working.

I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to have 5 kids in 5 years and not be able to give them the love and care they need and deserve. It freaks me out big time.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1925680' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:23 PM']I'm a revert, but growing up I never really knew the Faith. Now that I'm back, and I'm more informed (thank God), my biggie is contraception.

It was drilled into me from about age ten onward that if you didn't use at [i]least[/i] a condom, preferably a condom plus the pill, you were a fool. Anyone who gets pregnant by accident completely deserves it because of their "screwup".

Plus, I'm disabled--not severely, but enough to make things like cooking and cleaning and other chores a real challenge at times.

I'm called to marry, to be a wife and a mother. I'm just afraid of a large family...and of NFP, too. I know it works, I know the statistics, but my biggest fear is having many unplanned children with very little space between. In order to take care of a family, I will likely need to keep it small, especially if my future husband is working.

I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to have 5 kids in 5 years and not be able to give them the love and care they need and deserve. It freaks me out big time.[/quote]

:console: I know what you're feeling. I don't have any disabilities, but my pregnancies have been difficult and leave me anxious when I think about going through another one. I feel guilty because I can't take care of my family properly. I submit to and agree with the Church on contraception, I understand all they whys, but I really struggle with being open to life.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1925686' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:39 PM']:console: I know what you're feeling. I don't have any disabilities, but my pregnancies have been difficult and leave me anxious when I think about going through another one. I feel guilty because I can't take care of my family properly. I submit to and agree with the Church on contraception, I understand all they whys, but I really struggle with being open to life.[/quote]

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not alone. It's not that I don't [i]want[/i] to be open to life, per se, but I'm just scared of what that would mean.

Like, you see people that talk about "wanting to do God's will and leave Him in charge" and they all have really big families. :topsy: I wouldn't mind a big family...I just don't think I could physically handle all of that. But all moms have so much on their plates, and I know God will take care of everything. It's a trust issue--both in God and in my charts. ;)

The only thing I'm struggling with is the recent talk about
"no licit solution" to non-implanted IVF embryos and embryo adoption..

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Oliver' post='1925597' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:57 PM']Homosexual attraction isn't chosen and the majority have expressed they were born like they were. So im confused what you are trying to say.[/quote]

Multiple sclerosis is not chosen and, being strongly influenced by genetics, the majority are effectively born with it. Did God created MS? Did God also create allergies? Did he create poverty or broken families? Of all the things people are born with or born into -- that are outside of their control -- homosexuality is the only one that we presume was created by God.

[quote name='Oliver' post='1925597' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:57 PM']Since contraception cannot be used then sex most of the time will create new life. And other natural methods such as the rhythm method are known to be very unreliable.[/quote]

A woman can only conceive during a few days of each month, so a couple using no contraception or planning method has a 15% chance of conceiving. The "rhythm" method is basically useless; the Church hasn't recommended it in a long time. Today there are at least three advanced methods with science to support them -- the same science that the pill is based upon.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1925667' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:01 PM']You are a lot more likely to find me with a beer and a football game than with hairbows and such.[/quote]

Ain't nothin' wrong with that! :beer:

tinytherese

[quote name='Oliver' post='1925597' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:57 AM']Homosexual attraction isn't chosen and the majority have expressed they were born like they were. So im confused what you are trying to say.[/quote]

It's not that God creates the same sex attraction, it's that He permits it to occur so that the individual may grow in holiness by trusting in Him and living a chaste life-style despite how difficult it is. As the Holy Father wrote in a pastoral letter regarding homosexuals before he became pope, a person that undergoes the cross of same sex attraction is called to live out the Paschal Mystery- suffering and dying to themselves just as Christ did and through this Passion rise to new life. The catechism discusses something along these lines as well.

tinytherese

[quote name='Didacus' post='1925564' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:52 AM']I struggle still with the doctrine of the 'Real Presence' in the Eucharist. Probably just the obstinate 'I have to completely understand everything' side of me talking but I simply can't grasp it intellectually, and thus without this element I have trouble believing and accepting.

Still working on it though, wish I had more time to read stuff.[/quote]

I don't know if this will work for you but this short article helped me in my apologetics class.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0103sbs.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0103sbs.asp[/url]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1925652' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:43 PM']+J.M.J.+

yeah, i still struggle with it. i 'get' that Mary is our mother, and i encourage that with my little girl, but i'd rather do Liturgy of the Hours over the rosary any day.

yes, agreed, definitely.[/quote]
Werd, though I still say the rosary, at least a bit of it. Mary isn't a big problem for me, just my protestant fans. Technically, my thing about Mary is all the devotions that we just [i]have [/i]to take part of otherwise we're in jeopardy ([eg] of being stabbed by a satanist or hit by a bus without a priest just happening to be there or something) :wacko:. Iunno if I have any doctrinal or moral issues that I'm struggling with. Maybe stuff pertaining to the Orthodox, but it's due to a ton of stuff I don't know.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1925872' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:34 PM']echnically, my thing about Mary is all the devotions that we just [i]have [/i]to take part of otherwise we're in jeopardy ([eg] of being stabbed by a satanist or hit by a bus without a priest just happening to be there or something) :wacko:.[/quote]

If you think about it, we do [i]have[/i] to take part in Marian devotions since several Marian feasts are holy days of obligation. :D

Edited by Resurrexi

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1925872' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:34 PM']Technically, my thing about Mary is all the devotions that we just [i]have [/i]to take part of otherwise we're in jeopardy ([eg] of being stabbed by a satanist or hit by a bus without a priest just happening to be there or something) :wacko:.[/quote]

Hmm... what do you mean?

In the truest sense, following Christ is the best act of Marian devotion.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1926467' date='Jul 21 2009, 08:58 AM']Hmm... what do you mean?

In the truest sense, following Christ is the best act of Marian devotion.[/quote]

When protestants always ask why I pray the rosary and accuse me of being focused on Mary I explain to them the whole idea of watching Christs life through the eyes of His mother.

Perhaps sometimes they think it's just a monotonous string of Hail Mary's and not meditations on moments from Our Lords life.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1926040' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:14 PM']If you think about it, we do [i]have[/i] to take part in Marian devotions since several Marian feasts are holy days of obligation. :D[/quote]
That's not what I'm talkin' about, but I love Marian feasts, for the record.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1926467' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:58 AM']Hmm... what do you mean?

In the truest sense, following Christ is the best act of Marian devotion.[/quote]
Werd. I'm just talking about the droves of acts of Marian devotions that all say you gotta do em. Or at least people say so...

I wear the Miraculous Medal, though. :unsure:

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1926472' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:21 AM']When protestants always ask why I pray the rosary and accuse me of being focused on Mary I explain to them the whole idea of watching Christs life through the eyes of His mother.

Perhaps sometimes they think it's just a monotonous string of Hail Mary's and not meditations on moments from Our Lords life.[/quote]
Yeah. I can empathise.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1926982' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:55 PM']In the words of St. Louis de Montfort "to Jesus through Mary."[/quote]
:love:

Edited by Sacred Music Man