An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Kind Of Catholic Are You?

Deus te Amat

What kind of Catholic are you?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deus te Amat

I was just curious as to the spiritual make up of Phatmassers... How do you worship best? And why?

I'm charismatic. I attend a parish whose charismatic spirituality and style of worship have been incorporated into the life of the parish (mass, prayer meetings, etc.) and has been sanctioned by the bishop. I have, however, come to the conclusion that Lifeteen masses (or Lifeteen in general) are annoying.

Before recently, I was charismatic with Lifeteen mass and the whole works. I was wondering why my faith life was suffering. Then I started doing more Traditional things and my faith life has improved leaps and bounds.

TeresaBenedicta

I chose "Traditional Catholic w/some Charismatic."

I have a very hard time with things that are overly charismatic-- not that they are, but they always seem to me to be fluffy-Jesus stuff. If I'm around too much of it, I begin to have severe doubts, because it doesn't seem "real" to me. Reminds me too much of "feel-good" Christianity, and I was raised in a family that taught me to think that all of Christianity was like that and to look down on those who were Christian because of it.

I prefer, and really in some ways need, the traditional stuff. A traditional Norvus Ordo will work fine for me, lol, although I do enjoy the EF every once in a while. I like having the ordinary in latin. I like more traditional hymns. I have more traditional views on the use of EMHC's, altar servers, etc.

But, I'm also a fan of the occasional youth conference. And in that setting, I'm okay with some "praise and worship" songs being used.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1928440' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:23 PM']I chose "Traditional Catholic w/some Charismatic."

I have a very hard time with things that are overly charismatic-- not that they are, but they always seem to me to be fluffy-Jesus stuff. If I'm around too much of it, I begin to have severe doubts, because it doesn't seem "real" to me. Reminds me too much of "feel-good" Christianity, and I was raised in a family that taught me to think that all of Christianity was like that and to look down on those who were Christian because of it.

I prefer, and really in some ways need, the traditional stuff. A traditional Norvus Ordo will work fine for me, lol, although I do enjoy the EF every once in a while. I like having the ordinary in latin. I like more traditional hymns. I have more traditional views on the use of EMHC's, altar servers, etc.

But, I'm also a fan of the occasional youth conference. And in that setting, I'm okay with some "praise and worship" songs being used.[/quote]

:yes:

I share pretty much the same viewpoint, except I don't really have access to any form of the Latin Mass. :(

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1928445' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:25 PM']:yes:

I share pretty much the same viewpoint, except I don't really have access to any form of the Latin Mass. :([/quote]

My parish back home has one Mass that is a Latin NO, which I love attending. But I'm back at school most of the year, so I rarely get to go.

I was blessed because when I entered the Church in 2007, I only knew my parish-- which is probably on the more conservative side (Latin NO, a schola, boy altar servers only, teaches us to receive on the tongue, etc). I didn't know anything else existed because I never went anywhere else for Mass.

Here at school we're attached to a great seminary, so they have really good liturgies as well. And our daily Masses on the college side are very well done, but I can't stand the music ministry for Sunday Mass.

There's not a lot of opportunity for the EF here, although there is one priest that celebrates it occasionally. I e-mailed him this summer to ask if he would alert me when he would be celebrating it, and he said he would. I think it might happen once a week when school starts up again. Granted, this is of course on the seminary side of campus.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

i chose traditional catholic with some charismatic elements. But let us not forget that all Catholics are "charismatic" through our baptism and confirmation. Charism means gift. We are all gifted in some sort if we remain in the state of grace, frequent the sacraments and pray. Discovering our gifts can be exiting. Although these gifts i beleive arnt usually speaking in tongues and prophesying. More likely gifts like discernment, wisdom, counsel, and the such.

The Bus Station

I guess I'm pretty traditional. I go to a regular, non-charismatic parish with traditional music -- idk exactly how we're defining traditional here :idontknow:

I've never been to an EF Mass and I'm not a fan of the Lifeteen Mass. I actually prefer Mass during the week when there's no music at all -- it's easiest for me to worship in total silence.

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1928459' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:38 PM']I guess I'm pretty traditional. I go to a regular, non-charismatic parish with traditional music -- idk exactly how we're defining traditional here :idontknow:

I've never been to an EF Mass and I'm not a fan of the Lifeteen Mass. I actually prefer Mass during the week when there's no music at all -- it's easiest for me to worship in total silence.[/quote]

Pretty much the same here, although I look forward to my yearly Latin Mass.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1928444' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:24 PM']Just an ordinary one. Ordinary Form pew warmer.[/quote]

This. When I am able, I prefer to attend more traditional liturgies though that generally involves an hour's drive. But normally we just go with what's available in the area (I've moved around a lot in recent years.) Our local parish is just your average parish, they don't really do Lifeteen in the UK. I've never been very comfortable with charismatic worship myself, I have nothing against anyone that does, it's just a personal preference and I actually like that the British are more reserved in their worship.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1928444' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:24 PM']Just an ordinary one. Ordinary Form pew warmer.[/quote]

Same here.

homeschoolmom

Hmmm... I was looking for "faithful" as an option... I'll have to go back and look....

ETA: that can't be all the choices... I'm NOTA.

Other. I decide not to be a rad-trad, nor get my "kicks" from charismaticism. I love the OF mass as per the organic transition/growth that the Second Vatican council outlines. I love the EF as well, and desire to frequent it when I live in Toronto again for the next school year. I suppose I'm a "let sleeping dogs lie" type when it comes to charismaticism. They can exist, but I don't affiliate with them in any way. I hope I can generally call myself faithful as well. :detective: