An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Kind Of Catholic Are You?

Deus te Amat

What kind of Catholic are you?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929241' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:43 AM']USAirways seemed to be distinguishing High Mass from the EF Mass in his post, so I was trying to let him know that High Mass is not different from the EF Mass.[/quote]
I was under the impression that you could have a high NO mass...I don't know why, but I was. You're right.

Latin-incorporated Novus Ordo. Similar to what they do on EWTN. I will also go to EF masses if available once in a while. I don't mind charismatic as long as it is not "christianity and water" type stuff. I usually prefer it outside of the Mass.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Hassan' post='1929372' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:15 AM']You forgot lapsed/apostate :unsure:[/quote]
And heterodox.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1929277' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:16 AM']Under these choices, I'm an "other". I'm very traditional and would love to have the ordinary in Latin and Gregorian chant and the like. I attend the OF.[/quote]

Wow we are so alike in ways. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. No wonder I like you. :P

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1929513' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:28 PM']I was under the impression that you could have a high NO mass...I don't know why, but I was. You're right.[/quote]

You can certainly have OF Masses with a schola chanting the proper chants, with incense, with a deacon, etc., but those things do not make the Mass a High Mass. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929715' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:47 PM']You can certainly have OF Masses with a schola chanting the proper chants, with incense, with a deacon, etc., but those things do not make the Mass a High Mass. :)[/quote]
I realize this. I just figured in some far off place there was an english speaking Ad orientem type deal.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1929741' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:10 PM']I realize this. I just figured in some far off place there was an english speaking Ad orientum type deal.[/quote]

Yes, there certainly are Masses celebrated [i]ad orient[b]e[/b]m[/i] in English, but that does not make them High Masses, either.

The movement in support of OF Masses incorporating significant aspects from EF Masses (e.g. Latin, chant, incense, [i]ad orientem[/i], kneeling for Communion) is informally called the reform of the reform movement.

I like Eastern Liturgies too. I just learned a neat new setting that can be used for the responsorial psalm that is of eastern flavour... :P

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929748' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:15 PM']Yes, there certainly are Masses celebrated [i]ad orient[b]e[/b]m[/i] in English, but that does not make them High Masses, either.

The movement in support of OF Masses incorporating significant aspects from EF Masses (e.g. Latin, chant, incense, [i]ad orientem[/i], kneeling for Communion) is informally called the reform of the reform movement.[/quote]
I would dare say return the OF to the continuity of Latin liturgy, not sort of a grafting on or imposition of EF characteristics, the way you seem to be putting it. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1929751' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:18 PM']I would dare say return the OF to the continuity of Latin liturgy, not sort of a grafting on or imposition of EF characteristics, the way you seem to be putting it. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:[/quote]

The way to return the OF to continuity is to incorporate characteristics from the EF. I don't think that there is really a better way to describe it. Reform of the reform OF Masses typically include [i]ad orientem[/i], Latin, and canonical digits. These are things that are not required in the OF but are certainly required in the EF.

Since the EF represents the Mass of the Roman Rite up to 1969, the only way to bring the OF to continuity with Latin liturgical tradition is to incorporate elements from the EF.

You might not like the reform of the reform being defined as "the movement to incorporate elements from the Tridentine Liturgy into the Mass of Paul VI," but that the most unambiguous and accurate definition of which I can think.

:)

Edited by Resurrexi

The [i]New Liturgical Movement[/i] also gives this definition:

"There is certainly no single, definitive definition [of the reform of the reform] it must be noted, and some variations have developed over the years (informal schools of thought one might say), but this said, it is important to recall that in its origins, it meant not only the consideration of the external dimensions of the liturgy, or faithfully following of the texts and rubrics (though evidently both of these form an important part of it) it also meant something further and deeper; an actual consideration of the texts and ceremonies of the Pauline missal in the light of the pre-conciliar form of the Roman Missal and the desires of the Council Fathers expressed in [i]Sacrosanctum Concilium[/i] with regard to it."

(Obviously it is not truly a definition since it states that there is no definition, but it is a good description of what the reform of the reform is.)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1928533' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:02 PM']+J.M.J.+

:thumbsup:

:hehe:

NOTA? :unsure:[/quote]
None of the Above.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I voted for middling on both, but then realized that I do tend more towards traditional but still like some charismatic aspects, so I should have voted for that one, lol! Mass, LOTR, Adoration, lectio divina are all AMAZING! throw in a tad bit of praise and worship and I'm set to go, lol!

TotusTuusMaria

i don't like the catholic labels. we are all called to be charismatic and we are all called to be "traditional" ...

:(