An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Sick Of Pretty People.

Kitty

There's always people I see that are like walking Photoshopped pictures. Clear skin, perfect tan, perfect straight hair, and a bikini body.

I wish I was naturally pretty like them. Or at least felt like it.

Why are some people so lucky?!

[quote name='Kitty' post='1941008' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:42 AM']There's always people I see that are like walking Photoshopped pictures. Clear skin, perfect tan, perfect straight hair, and a bikini body.

Why are some people so lucky?![/quote]

Genes and a healthy lifestyle.

Yeah...me too. But life goes on, and looks aren't everything--cliche, perhaps, but still true.

You should probably be aware that a lot of these beautiful people--well, women anyway--still look in a mirror and hate themselves, and wish they could change this or that or the other thing. It's sort of all in our own perception.

[quote name='jiyoung' post='1941042' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:09 AM']Yeah...me too. But life goes on, and looks aren't everything--cliche, perhaps, but still true.

You should probably be aware that a lot of these beautiful people--well, women anyway--still look in a mirror and hate themselves, and wish they could change this or that or the other thing. It's sort of all in our own perception.[/quote]
:yes:

puellapaschalis

I hear you. Oh boy, do I hear you.

Right now I'm having to work through so many issues related to how I see myself, my self-image, self-respect, the list goes on. I don't know the answers though. Just hope I can get through it a healthier and happier person.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Kitty' post='1941008' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:42 AM']There's always people I see that are like walking Photoshopped pictures. Clear skin, perfect tan, perfect straight hair, and a bikini body.

Why are some people so lucky?![/quote]
Usually their self-esteem smells of elderberries or they have an over-inflated opinion of themselves. They also never know if someone likes them for themselves or just wants to be near beautiful people, and they might be anorexic or have a host of physical problems from trying to keep in perfect condition.
Handsome is as handsome does.
A beautiful soul is much more pleasing and pleasant to be around.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='scardella' post='1941113' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:09 PM']Unnatural tans look creepy.[/quote]
:yes: I'm happy with my white-ness ;)

Lisieux Flower

Oh my goodness! This breaks my heart. We shouldn't be looking at these "beautiful" people and saying that at least they might hate their own looks or have bad personalities. We women should be recognizing the beauty within ourselves. It sounds cheesy but its so true! We are each SO beautiful.

I'm reading the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge, and I can't put it down. This book talks about the need within women to unveil beauty from ourselves, the need to truly understand that we are beautiful. Sometimes we become "wounded" by relationships (with friends, boys, family) that make us feel less than beautiful or we are told by society what we need to measure up to in order to be beautiful, but in reality we are ALL already beautiful. This may sound lame but that's how God made us. In the creation story, woman is the peak of creation.

This is from the book. I LOVE it. "Given the way creation unfolds, how it builds to ever higher and higher works of art, can there be any doubt that Eve is the crown of creation? Not an afterthought. Not a nice addition like an ornament on a tree. She is God's final touch. She fills a place in the world nothing and no one else can fill. Step to a window, ladies, if you can. Better still, find some place with a view. Look out across the earth and say to yourselves, 'The whole, vast world is incomplete without me. Creation reached its zenith with me.'"

The beauty we possess reflects the beauty of God. We just need to unveil in from ourselves (and gentlemen, you need to help us).

"Every woman has a beauty to unveil. Every woman. Because she bears the image of God. She doesn't have to conjure it, go get it from a salon, have plastic surgery or implants. No, beauty is an essence that is given to every woman at her creation."

puellapaschalis

That book sounds interesting :)

Can I throw a question out there?
One the one hand we hear all this (I don't mean to sound dismissive if it comes across that way) about how everyone is beautiful, is loved by God, and so on. But on the other some really do need to [i]change[/i] - their bodies, attitude, whatever.

To me these are two opposing things. One says "As you are, you're beautiful, God loves you" and the other says "You have to change," implying that what you are now isn't good enough.

Am I being dense? How can we bring the two together?

[quote name='scardella' post='1941113' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:09 AM']Unnatural tans look creepy.[/quote]

Seriously, and on topic for "pretty people"...I don't get the whole point of tanning beds, during the summer, when the sun is out, it's warm, etc.

Ash Wednesday

I'm sick of ads and media bombarding us with imagery and selling us the idea that you have to look a certain way in order to be one of the "pretty people." It's all B.S.