An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Sick Of Pretty People.

Kitty

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Hassan' post='1941707' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:31 AM']Stop it, you're making me :blush:[/quote]
<_< That was a serious post.

Nihil Obstat

I just hope it doesn't get lost in the replies. :P That particular post is kind of close to my heart, for some reason.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1941731' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:08 AM']I just hope it doesn't get lost in the replies. :P That particular post is kind of close to my heart, for some reason.[/quote]

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean for my NDA (non-sense disseminating activities) to distract away from a post that was really important to you. I do agree with your whole post.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Hassan' post='1941733' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:11 AM']Oh, sorry. I didn't mean for my NDA (non-sense disseminating activities) to distract away from a post that was really important to you. I do agree with your whole post.[/quote]
I'm glad you agree. :) Luckily it's something that's universal, even for apostate secret Muslims. ;)

Archaeology cat

Kitty, some of those people with straight hair would probably love to be able to have curly hair. There are ups and downs to each (I've been on both sides of that, as my hair went completely straight when I was pregnant, when it had been quite curly before).

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1941766' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:42 AM']Kitty, some of those people with straight hair would probably love to be able to have curly hair. There are ups and downs to each (I've been on both sides of that, as my hair went completely straight when I was pregnant, when it had been quite curly before).[/quote]

I have thick (not as thick as it used to be though) curly hair. Dark brown and when I'm healthy, rather glossy. It used to go all the way down to my knees; now it's almost halfway down my back. A friend of mine loves it, and I'm [i]slowly[/i] beginning to see how it can be nice for people to look at, but for years I hated it! The way it knots up so easily and frizzes up ("van der Graaf generator" was one of my "nicknames" at school). Bah!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1941768' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:14 AM']I have thick (not as thick as it used to be though) curly hair. Dark brown and when I'm healthy, rather glossy. It used to go all the way down to my knees; now it's almost halfway down my back. A friend of mine loves it, and I'm [i]slowly[/i] beginning to see how it can be nice for people to look at, but for years I hated it! The way it knots up so easily and frizzes up ("van der Graaf generator" was one of my "nicknames" at school). Bah![/quote]
Oh I understand! My hair is really thick now (wasn't when I was younger), and people compliment it, but my first thought is often that it gives me a headache because it's thick.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1941768' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:14 AM']I have thick (not as thick as it used to be though) curly hair. Dark brown and when I'm healthy, rather glossy. It used to go all the way down to my knees; now it's almost halfway down my back. A friend of mine loves it, and I'm [i]slowly[/i] beginning to see how it can be nice for people to look at, but for years I hated it! The way it knots up so easily and frizzes up ("van der Graaf generator" was one of my "nicknames" at school). Bah![/quote]

"In the beginning God created hair, and separated hair from hair. VA's hair he called "straight". Venite's siblings' hair he called, "curly". And until the end of the ages each wished they had the other's."

Although I think my brother actually doesn't care ;)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1941772' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:30 AM']"In the beginning God created hair, and separated hair from hair. VA's hair he called "straight". Venite's siblings' hair he called, "curly". And until the end of the ages each wished they had the other's."

Although I think my brother actually doesn't care ;)[/quote]

I dunno, I kind of like my hair now. It has curves. Just like the rest of me ;)

[quote name='Winchester' post='1941471' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:51 PM'][img]http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/12-16-05-creepyguy/Jockthecock.jpg[/img][/quote]
beautiful.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1941723' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:58 AM']My problem is that I have acne, and it makes me feel extremely ugly, Even though I'm treating it with topical medication, my skin flakes as a bonus and there's nothing attractive about that. I'm very jealous of people who have naturally clear and smooth skin and don't have to take 10 steps in the morning and night to clean their skin.

I also have very curly hair. People compliment me on it all the time but I am always envious of people who have straight, layered hair that is dyed a pretty color. I can't do that with my hair. Some of my friends call me a poodle and I know they're just teasing but sometimes it drives me nuts.

I think I'm also obsessive compulsive, mostly about my looks (obviously). I constantly check myself in mirrors or reflective surfaces, anytime I see one. I don't know how other people see my face from their eyes, so I look at my face at different angles all the time to try and see what they see. It drives me insane.

That's why naturally pretty people make me upset sometimes.[/quote]
It's funny how we focus on our own issues.

I've always had perfect skin. Never occurred to me that it was actually perfect, it just... worked out that way. But, at the same time I never noticed people who had skin problems. It just wasn't something important. Why would anyone care about skin?

Weight and body shape, though... I've always lots of trouble with that, and it took me a long time to get over obsessing/comparing. And I'm still uncomfortable in a lot of situations.

Do you watch a lot of TV, movies, or read fashion-type magazines? Because those can lead you to a very unreal concept of what normal people are supposed to look like.

Kitty, I feel you on the flaky skin, I don't have acne but I'm really pale so when I break out its SUPER noticeable, but my skin is usually really dry and that is so frustrating. Like philothea said though, a lot of people don't even notice bad skin on other people, they're too busy worrying about their own blemishes!! And super curly hair is awesome!! If you had really straight hair, you'd wish you had super curly hair. There's a reason why so many women get perms and extensions and all that craziness. If it really bothers you, why not get your hair relaxed? Or buy a straightener, it takes a long time but you can straighten it and it should last like two days. But mostly just accept your flaws and leanr to find yourself attractive, even if its hard.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1941636' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:26 PM']I just... want to make sure we don't miss something important.
Some people are just naturally what we'd call 'pretty' or 'attractive'. I know people like this. These aren't people that spend hours obsessing over their looks. They're not vain, they're not petty, they're normal people who happen to be attractive.
Just as importantly, their self esteem works just the same as everyone else's, and like (I'd guess) about 95% of the Western population, is a work in progress.
It looks to me like this thread is tending to generalize, and throwing everyone into the same category. I don't think it's on purpose, but it's a tendency we're going to have. I just hope that we all can take a step back and make sure we're not stereotyping or making hurtful assumptions.[/quote]
good point! thank you!

[quote name='Kitty' post='1941723' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:58 PM']My problem is that I have acne, and it makes me feel extremely ugly, Even though I'm treating it with topical medication, my skin flakes as a bonus and there's nothing attractive about that. I'm very jealous of people who have naturally clear and smooth skin and don't have to take 10 steps in the morning and night to clean their skin.

I also have very curly hair. People compliment me on it all the time but I am always envious of people who have straight, layered hair that is dyed a pretty color. I can't do that with my hair. Some of my friends call me a poodle and I know they're just teasing but sometimes it drives me nuts.

I think I'm also obsessive compulsive, mostly about my looks (obviously). I constantly check myself in mirrors or reflective surfaces, anytime I see one. I don't know how other people see my face from their eyes, so I look at my face at different angles all the time to try and see what they see. It drives me insane.

That's why naturally pretty people make me upset sometimes.[/quote]
are you me under another sn? :huh:

seriously though, i used to have flawless skin (i don't say this to brag, but to make my point). then i got pregnant. the hormones running through my body cause me to have severe acne (acne cysts, which are extremely painful, itchy, and red) along my jaw line. how i feel about myself has plummeted, because the cysts are red and blotchy and stand out - and to tell the truth, they are ugly. i get cream that partially controls the itchiness and redness, but they will not go away because i still have those hormones (because i'm breastfeeding). my skin has now become my lifelong enemy. i can't even really wear makeup anymore (it just makes it worse), if i do, i can only wear it for a couple of hours before washing it off. so i don't know what to tell you that would help, but know that you have my empathy :console:

hair - curly - check! i've learned to live with it. and yes, when i get my hair cut short, people call me Annie - as in little orphan annie. :madrant: i have to ignore them, otherwise, i'd probably be in prison for murder.

and i also used to be obsessed with checking myself out to make sure i looked okay. :secret: you wanna know what helped break that habit? :secret: i gave up mirrors for Lent one year. seriously. i even (and i know i shouldn't have) covered up my car's review mirror so i didn't try to 'cheat'. even now, i limit the amount of time that i spend in front of a mirror (no more than 5 minutes), and i limit the amount of mirrors in my house (two). i hope this might help you.