Ash Wednesday Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 We all become wrinkled hags in the end anyway.
rachael Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1941222' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:47 PM']We all become wrinkled hags in the end anyway. [/quote] speaking from experience?
Deus te Amat Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 [i]Captivating[/i] changed my life. I'd reread now, but I gave it to my old roomie when she withdrew. It's one of those books you just want to give to every young girl you see.
puellapaschalis Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 This afternoon I read a load of reviews which said that it presented a really unbiblical view of women. Now I'm all confused whether to get it.
Deus te Amat Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 It's written by a protestant couple. There are obviously some slightly stretches, but from a Catholic perspective, it really portrays women in a unique and special light. I didn't read it specifically for spiritual development, I read it so I could help myself break free from the stereotypical chains of the world, to get over my struggle of letting go of my past,... and once free, I was able to accept myself and THEN focus on my spiritual walk with God. The book helped me focus on what is really important. Too often spiritual development is hindered because we cannot let go. The book helped me to let go part of me that hated myself, to instead learn to love myself. I don't know if that makes sense. Also, this might have more weight than what I just said, but the book comes highly recommended by a Deacon friend of mine and his wife. They are a really spiritual and blessed couple. He works a lot with vocations in my diocese.
princessgianna Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 Ok so you see these "pretty people" they walk and smile and buy alot of gorogus exspansive clothes. But think about what you don't see! They spend their enire life on their looks! They wake up in the morning and spend an hour on gettting dressed. It's insane. I got ths "beauty secrets" book and it is actaully quite fascinationing though by the same token -when do you stop and enjoy life. I know it is really tough Kitty! And I have the exact feelings! I will admit that I sometimes try to strive for that "image of perfection " and for me it's a constant battle to being pretty and taking care of myself to stop obessing AND HAVE FUN! Life is short! This is your shot! I have to daily remind myself that it's ok if my hair isn't perfect! This also goes in line with what I eat. I like food but I don't want to be overweight but then again every once in a while eating a large extra veggie Imo's pizza with your siblings isn't gona kill you~! Or eating dessert! Life is a balance. I have spent most of my life and will spend it- striving to find that balance. There is NOTHING wrong with taking care of your self though once you start hating yourself and feel like you have wear 5 pounds of make up just to buy a gallon of milk- I say there is an issue. If you can 't accept yourself how can you expect others to accept you. Honestly it's nice to hear that other people have the same issue I do. Being with another person is always nice. [quote name='jiyoung' post='1941042' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:09 AM']Yeah...me too. But life goes on, and looks aren't everything--cliche, perhaps, but still true. You should probably be aware that a lot of these beautiful people--well, women anyway--still look in a mirror and hate themselves, and wish they could change this or that or the other thing. It's sort of all in our own perception.[/quote] Which is so amazing. How many people look at you and think "wow she is so pretty!! Why am I not"? And you are looking at them and thinking the same thing! [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1941243' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:39 PM'][i]Captivating[/i] changed my life. I'd reread now, but I gave it to my old roomie when she withdrew. It's one of those books you just want to give to every young girl you see.[/quote] I am going to have to read that book!
Kaeldra Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 Don't be so down on yourself or on pretty people. I'm a photographer, and I have to say, sometimes people who aren't the mainstream definition of 'pretty' are my favorite people to photograph. Beauty is so subjective, but EVERYONE has something beautiful about them, physically,mentally and spiritually. As for trying to be attractive, I know it's cliche, but confidence is sexy.
Kaeldra Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 ps Kitty I just saw your personal photo... and if that's you, I dont know why you're complaining, you're really pretty!!
Arpy Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 FWIW, I generally find holiness more attractive than looks. And like Kaeldra said, everyone has something beautiful about them.
Deus te Amat Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 I just want to add that the book plants thoughts and ideas that can really be thought about and mean 100 more fold when taken in account with Scripture.
VeniteAdoremus Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 I was staying with my mum for the last couple of weeks, and I'm often uncomfortable to go out with her because I'm tall in the Netherlands, but compared to rural French people I'm a giant. And people STARE... like they get paid for it! Back when I was sixteen I would sometimes go and sit in the car until she was done shopping. That I don't do anymore, but I'm still uncomfortable. So I told my mum. "Oh," spoke the Mothership, "they're just admiring you." It's probably not true but thinking it surely helped.
InHisLove726 Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1941109' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:07 AM']Usually their self-esteem smells of elderberries or they have an over-inflated opinion of themselves. They also never know if someone likes them for themselves or just wants to be near beautiful people, and they might be anorexic or have a host of physical problems from trying to keep in perfect condition. Handsome is as handsome does. A beautiful soul is much more pleasing and pleasant to be around.[/quote]
Ash Wednesday Posted August 5, 2009 Posted August 5, 2009 (edited) [quote name='rachael' post='1941239' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:31 PM']speaking from experience? [/quote] Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot. Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church. Edited August 6, 2009 by Ash Wednesday
rachael Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1941399' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:52 PM']Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot. Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church.[/quote]
Winchester Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1941399' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:52 PM']Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot. Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church.[/quote] That cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake.
marielapin Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 If you want an authenticly Catholic book on womanhood, read "The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand. It is short, sweet, and to the point. It also made me think about myself in a way that I had never thought before.
Winchester Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 [img]http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/12-16-05-creepyguy/Jockthecock.jpg[/img]
Deus te Amat Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 There is also a collection of writings by St. Edith Stein about the Vocation of being a Woman. It's a fantastic read. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collected-Works-Edith/dp/0935216596/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249523514&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collect...3514&sr=8-2[/url]
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 [quote name='marielapin' post='1941465' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:48 PM']If you want an authenticly Catholic book on womanhood, read "The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand. It is short, sweet, and to the point. It also made me think about myself in a way that I had never thought before.[/quote] I think I need to reread that. I remember it being a very good read though. Theology of the Body is some great stuff to read too.
marielapin Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1941472' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:52 PM']There is also a collection of writings by St. Edith Stein about the Vocation of being a Woman. It's a fantastic read. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collected-Works-Edith/dp/0935216596/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249523514&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collect...3514&sr=8-2[/url][/quote] Ive been wanting to read her for a while. Maybe that's where I'll start.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now