An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Sick Of Pretty People.

Kitty

VeniteAdoremus

I was staying with my mum for the last couple of weeks, and I'm often uncomfortable to go out with her because I'm tall in the Netherlands, but compared to rural French people I'm a giant. And people STARE... like they get paid for it! Back when I was sixteen I would sometimes go and sit in the car until she was done shopping. That I don't do anymore, but I'm still uncomfortable. So I told my mum.

"Oh," spoke the Mothership, "they're just admiring you."

It's probably not true but thinking it surely helped. :)

InHisLove726

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1941109' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:07 AM']Usually their self-esteem smells of elderberries or they have an over-inflated opinion of themselves. They also never know if someone likes them for themselves or just wants to be near beautiful people, and they might be anorexic or have a host of physical problems from trying to keep in perfect condition.
Handsome is as handsome does.
A beautiful soul is much more pleasing and pleasant to be around.[/quote]

:yes:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='rachael' post='1941239' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:31 PM']speaking from experience? :mellow:[/quote]

Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1941399' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:52 PM']Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1941399' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:52 PM']Dude, what the heck? My birthday's in two weeks. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, personal experience...seeing wrinkled people in church.[/quote]
That cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake.

If you want an authenticly Catholic book on womanhood, read "The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand. It is short, sweet, and to the point. It also made me think about myself in a way that I had never thought before.

[img]http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/12-16-05-creepyguy/Jockthecock.jpg[/img]

Deus te Amat

There is also a collection of writings by St. Edith Stein about the Vocation of being a Woman. It's a fantastic read.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collected-Works-Edith/dp/0935216596/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249523514&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collect...3514&sr=8-2[/url]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='marielapin' post='1941465' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:48 PM']If you want an authenticly Catholic book on womanhood, read "The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand. It is short, sweet, and to the point. It also made me think about myself in a way that I had never thought before.[/quote]
I think I need to reread that. I remember it being a very good read though. Theology of the Body is some great stuff to read too.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1941472' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:52 PM']There is also a collection of writings by St. Edith Stein about the Vocation of being a Woman. It's a fantastic read.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collected-Works-Edith/dp/0935216596/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249523514&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Woman-Collect...3514&sr=8-2[/url][/quote]

Ive been wanting to read her for a while. Maybe that's where I'll start.

Nihil Obstat

I just... want to make sure we don't miss something important.
Some people are just naturally what we'd call 'pretty' or 'attractive'. I know people like this. These aren't people that spend hours obsessing over their looks. They're not vain, they're not petty, they're normal people who happen to be attractive.
Just as importantly, their self esteem works just the same as everyone else's, and like (I'd guess) about 95% of the Western population, is a work in progress.
It looks to me like this thread is tending to generalize, and throwing everyone into the same category. I don't think it's on purpose, but it's a tendency we're going to have. I just hope that we all can take a step back and make sure we're not stereotyping or making hurtful assumptions.

Our society tells us we are ugly so they can sell a product. So we begin to believe this lie and they sell their product. If we don't they up the pressure. I read a book about a young girl who was very poor, but very happy. She finally saved enough money to buy a looking glass, or a mirror. She looked into the looking glass and was horrified at what she saw. As she was a wise young lady, she got rid of the looking glass and liked herself again.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1941636' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:26 PM']Some people are just naturally what we'd call 'pretty' or 'attractive'. I know people like this. These aren't people that spend hours obsessing over their looks. They're not vain, they're not petty, they're normal people who happen to be attractive.[/quote]

Stop it, you're making me :blush:

My problem is that I have acne, and it makes me feel extremely ugly, Even though I'm treating it with topical medication, my skin flakes as a bonus and there's nothing attractive about that. I'm very jealous of people who have naturally clear and smooth skin and don't have to take 10 steps in the morning and night to clean their skin.

I also have very curly hair. People compliment me on it all the time but I am always envious of people who have straight, layered hair that is dyed a pretty color. I can't do that with my hair. Some of my friends call me a poodle and I know they're just teasing but sometimes it drives me nuts.

I think I'm also obsessive compulsive, mostly about my looks (obviously). I constantly check myself in mirrors or reflective surfaces, anytime I see one. I don't know how other people see my face from their eyes, so I look at my face at different angles all the time to try and see what they see. It drives me insane.

That's why naturally pretty people make me upset sometimes.

Edited by Kitty

[quote name='Kitty' post='1941723' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:58 AM']My problem is that I have acne, and it makes me feel extremely ugly, Even though I'm treating it with topical medication, my skin flakes as a bonus and there's nothing attractive about that. I'm very jealous of people who have naturally clear and smooth skin and don't have to take 10 steps in the morning and night to clean their skin.

I also have very curly hair. People compliment me on it all the time but I am always envious of people who have straight, layered hair that is dyed a pretty color. I can't do that with my hair. Some of my friends call me a poodle and I know they're just teasing but sometimes it drives me nuts.

I think I'm also obsessive compulsive, mostly about my looks (obviously). I constantly check myself in mirrors or reflective surfaces, anytime I see one. I don't know how other people see my face from their eyes, so I look at my face at different angles all the time to try and see what they see. It drives me insane.

That's why naturally pretty people make me upset sometimes.[/quote]

Seems like you need some more confidence. Be who you are and don't apologize for it.

I know that's easier said than done but take small steps.