An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapels

Resurrexi

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I ever made enough money, I would build a chapel just like this one:

[img]http://www.sicilyholidayhomes.eu/images/capellapalatina.jpg[/img]

Nihil Obstat

I would absolutely love having a chapel, but I wouldn't want the Eucharist reserved because I'm not sure I could handle the responsibility of looking after it... :P

VeniteAdoremus

Is that Monreale or only something that looks like it? (It seems a bit distorted and I get confused :) ).

Anyway, I wouldn't want a family chapel because I associate going to Church/chapel with joining in with a larger community than just my family.

That being said, I stayed over in a Emmanuel girls' house once and they had a chapel room complete with the Sacrament, and that was awesome.

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1944138' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:08 AM']Is that Monreale or only something that looks like it? (It seems a bit distorted and I get confused :) ).[/quote]

It is the personal chapel of the King of Sicily in Palermo. :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1944138' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:08 AM']That being said, I stayed over in a Emmanuel girl's house once and they had a chapel room complete with the Sacrament, and that was awesome.[/quote]

What is an Emmanuel girl?

My first thought was, absolutely! Of course I would want to be under the same roof as Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament!

But then, after thinking about it, I decided I don't think I would. There is a beauty in having Jesus so close... it is definitely one of the greatest gifts of religious life.

But I think that there is a beauty too in the sacrifice that a layperson makes to not have Jesus sacramentally close in one's own house... it is a grace of God to have the privelege of having to do some travelling to encounter our Eucharistic Lord... it's a testimony of faith in itself, to express that He is worth that. A small comparison to the lengths that people would go to in the past to attend mass and pray before the Blessed Sacrament.

That is a very important, very valuable aspect of the vocation of a layperson in its own way, I think.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944139' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:13 PM']It is the personal chapel of the King of Sicily in Palermo. :)

What is an Emmanuel girl?[/quote]

Ah well, I got the island right :)

I miss-apostrophed. It's a girls' house of the [url="http://www.emmanuelcommunity.com/about.html"]Communité Emmanuel[/url]. They run a parish including two houses, one for men and one for women, all about college student age. They're involved in parish ministry and have common prayer hours in their houses. If you can't afford a house plus chapel of your own yet, I would say it's the next best thing :)

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1944147' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:55 PM']My first thought was, absolutely! Of course I would want to be under the same roof as Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament!

But then, after thinking about it, I decided I don't think I would. There is a beauty in having Jesus so close... it is definitely one of the greatest gifts of religious life.

But I think that there is a beauty too in the sacrifice that a layperson makes to not have Jesus sacramentally close in one's own house... it is a grace of God to have the privelege of having to do some travelling to encounter our Eucharistic Lord... it's a testimony of faith in itself, to express that He is worth that. A small comparison to the lengths that people would go to in the past to attend mass and pray before the Blessed Sacrament.

That is a very important, very valuable aspect of the vocation of a layperson in its own way, I think.[/quote]

Yes! That's so well-put! I completely agree.

I love that in the convent it's just "run downstairs, walk 10 metres", but I also like that "going to church" when I'm at home really involves some "going". Even though I can see the cathedral from my bedroom window and it takes me exactly twelve minutes to go from "asleep" to "seventh pew on the left".

TeresaBenedicta

I would love to build a family chapel, and to have Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament present. It's kind of like how it is here at school-- with dorm buildings having chapels attached (or at least two of them, out of four) that are open to our access.

I think you could still keep the "community" spirit even if you had a family chapel. I mean, unless you have a priest in the family, it's not likely you're going to have Mass said there everyday. So, you'd be heading to your local parish for Mass during the week/Sunday. I think the requirement for a chapel reserving the Blessed Sacrament is to have Mass celebrated in the chapel at least once a month. So, that's one day out of thirty-some days that you wouldn't leave your house for Mass.

With the constant motion of the life of a busy household I would not want the Eucharist reserved in a room dedicated to prayer (I wouldn't build a separate chapel from my house, but have an extra bedroom size prayer room with kneelers and religious images). I think it would become so common place for me to pass by a tabernacle that proper respect would not be given.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1944390' date='Aug 9 2009, 04:53 PM']We are incorporating a chapel into our house renovations. No Eucharist though.[/quote]

That's really neat. You should post pictures of the chapel when it is finished. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944392' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:55 PM']That's really neat. You should post pictures of the chapel when it is finished. :)[/quote]
Of course. It won't be as fancy as yours, and it probably won't be done for a couple of years. But we decided we have enough space that we could use some for a chapel.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1944393' date='Aug 9 2009, 04:57 PM']Of course. It won't be as fancy as yours[/quote]

:huh:

I don't have a chapel.