An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapels

Resurrexi

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945925' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:58 PM']According to the priest, nobody was injured, but I'm sure that there was something rather serious. It was a more elderly woman, so maybe she had a stroke or something.[/quote]

I hope that the most holy Sacrament was not unintentionally desecrated by the crash.

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

I was wondering too. I didn't get that impression, because the tabernacle had been moved outside the chapel door, and wasn't damaged at all, but on the other hand, apparently a whole wall is just wrecked.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945930' date='Aug 10 2009, 11:01 PM']I was wondering too. I didn't get that impression, because the tabernacle had been moved outside the chapel door, and wasn't damaged at all, but on the other hand, apparently a whole wall is just wrecked.[/quote]

I have two adoration chapels about seven minutes away. If a car wrecks a wall of one of them, I can just go to the other one.

:mellow:

Nihil Obstat

Luckily. :P

Unfortunately this parish I'm talking about is really open and modern and white and bare, and I don't like it very much. I really prefer my home parish, which is a little farther away (we moved once) but also a lot nicer in terms of atmosphere. Unfortunately they only offer Adoration ever other week or something.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1945518' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:47 PM']That is a great idea!!!

We love to pray the rosary together and go to adoration so it would be really sweet to have a place where we could do that with kiddos. I will take pics for you so you can vicariously cry with the cuteness.[/quote]

Oh, I would love that :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945930' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:01 AM']I was wondering too. I didn't get that impression, because the tabernacle had been moved outside the chapel door, and wasn't damaged at all, but on the other hand, apparently a whole wall is just wrecked.[/quote]

...what kind of chapel was that? (Only because I have yet to meet a chapel that wouldn't win in a car-chapel showdown. Unless you count the tent we had on Catechism Bootcamp last year.)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945928' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:00 AM']I hope that the most holy Sacrament was not unintentionally desecrated by the crash.[/quote]
Can you unintentionally desecrate something? Just curious. It seems like desecration involves some level of intentionality ... :idontknow:

kavalamyself

Great topic!

I would so totally love to have a "real" home chapel! This has been a long dream of mine. I would also like to make it somewhat secret so that only I (and other pray-ers) would know of its existence.

Cool websites:

[url="http://fynderskeepers.com.yourtempsite.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=77ed50b901130258167b5f57a1583596"]http://fynderskeepers.com.yourtempsite.com...67
b5f57a1583596[/url]

[url="http://eccdom.blogspot.com/"]http://eccdom.blogspot.com/[/url]

Kavala

The adoration chapel here that is 24/7, has a key code entry. It is always staffed by a volunteer, mostly older women, so after dark, only those who are regulars and have the code can get in. Otherwise, you have to pass muster from the little old lady to get in, and if she thinks you're hinky, she keeps it locked.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1946042' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:49 AM']...what kind of chapel was that? (Only because I have yet to meet a chapel that wouldn't win in a car-chapel showdown. Unless you count the tent we had on Catechism Bootcamp last year.)[/quote]
It's actually just attached to the sanctuary. It's where they keep the tabernacle all the time... unfortunately, in my opinion, because there's plenty of room behind the altar, and it would look beautiful.
It's a very modern building though, and I'd guess not fragile at all, but it does face a somewhat busy road, and if this older woman had some kind of medical emergency, it's hard to say how fast she was going.

I think this would be a very lovely practice for families. Many convents (active communities) live "family-style" and dedicate one room/bedroom as a prayer room/chapel. It doesn't have to be as fancy as some depicted here or discussed, but even a simple space with religious art and candles can help create a holy feeling (or I guess some people would call it a "sacred space.")

Also, those religious I know who minister and live alone in small quarters take a small space (or corner) and designate that.

Of course, it would be wonderful if the Lord were able to be physically present to all who desired Him, but I also worry about the care He needs. And on the other side, actually having to leave one's home to make an effort to make a visit takes time and effort, which in and of itself pleases Him!

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1946186' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:06 PM']Great topic!

I would so totally love to have a "real" home chapel! This has been a long dream of mine. I would also like to make it somewhat secret so that only I (and other pray-ers) would know of its existence.

Cool websites:

[url="http://fynderskeepers.com.yourtempsite.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=77ed50b901130258167b5f57a1583596"]http://fynderskeepers.com.yourtempsite.com...67
b5f57a1583596://http://fynderskeepers.com.yourtemps...7
b5f57a1583596[/url]

[url="http://eccdom.blogspot.com/"]http://eccdom.blogspot.com/[/url]

Kavala[/quote]
Thanks for those sites. Those might come in handy! And the second one, the blogging couple, is actually geographically not too far from us. I might have to look them up ...

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1945488' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:48 PM']I was thinking:
If I had one, I'd want to have the entrance be somewhat secluded/hidden.
That would deter or prevent any desecration should there be a break in... plus, how freaking awesome would it be to have a hidden room...that was a CHAPEL!
I mean, hidden rooms are super awesome as is...but one with the Eucharist in it too?

Head-explodingly good.[/quote]
In concur. I'd like the classic sliding bookcase doorway. I'm not sure if I want the trigger for the door to be a bust of Beethoven or a particular book, say the Summa or something...

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945735' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:22 PM']Now that is an idea.

It would be really nice to be able to pray Vespers and Compline as a family before the most holy Sacrament exposed for adoration every evening before and after dinner, respectively.[/quote]
WERD.

Question: if one was to keep hosts in a tabernacle, how long do they last until they need to be consumed? Thoughts?

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1946839' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:28 PM']Question: if one was to keep hosts in a tabernacle, how long do they last until they need to be consumed? Thoughts?[/quote]

Ideally hosts should be consumed after about a month, I believe. (Not sure if that's a rubric though, or not.) But of course, in special circumstances, like when the church is experiencing persecution and there aren't priests or they're unable to celebrate mass, it can go longer... Bp. Schneider speaks about this in his book Dominus Est... he talks about how there were villages that kept a single host hidden for a whole year during the communist regime, because that was how often one of the women in the village was able to travel to find a priest to go to mass, and he would give her one host to take back to her village... really amazing. I highly recommend the book.

Edited by zunshynn

He is Risen!

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:23 PM' post='1944118']
If I ever made enough money, I would build a chapel just like this one:

Thank looks just like the chapel in Clyde, MO where the Benedictines Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (who don't have perpetual adoration :huh: ) are.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1946839' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:28 AM']In concur. I'd like the classic sliding bookcase doorway. I'm not sure if I want the trigger for the door to be a bust of Beethoven or a particular book, say the Summa or something...

WERD.

Question: if one was to keep hosts in a tabernacle, how long do they last until they need to be consumed? Thoughts?[/quote]

"Consecrated hosts, in a quantity sufficient for the needs of the faithful, are to be kept in a pyx or ciborium, and are to be renewed frequently, the older hosts having been duly consumed." (CIC, can. 939)

"Renewal of the Sacred Species. Hosts must always be fresh, and therefore frequently renewed, to avoid danger of danger of decomposition.
The humidity of the climate and the condition of the church determine the frequency of renewal. Hosts should never be consecrated if more than five or six weeks have elapsed from the time they were baked. The greater number of authors teach that, as an ordinary rule the consecrated hosts should be renewed within a period of one month after being baked" (Fr. Heribert Jone, [i]Moral Theology[/i] [Imprimatur: John J. Wright, D.D., Bishop of Pittsburgh], p. 367)

Edited by Resurrexi