An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapels

Resurrexi

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1944821' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:11 PM']I would never get a personal chapel.[/quote]
To each his own, but as a matter of curiosity, why not?

I've always thought if I had a big yard, I'd like to make a reflection area, kind of a nook with trees and bushes surrounding a bench and some kind of religious statue.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1944906' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:37 PM']I've always thought if I had a big yard, I'd like to make a reflection area, kind of a nook with trees and bushes surrounding a bench and some kind of religious statue.[/quote]

I think I would like that idea...

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944868' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:47 PM']....

The three pictures of personal chapels in the post that you just quoted were all from twenty-first century. :)[/quote]
ah. Okay. Nice.

Maximilianus

Yes. I most definately would consider building a chapel.
Something similar in size and appearance to a Schoenstatt chapel would be nice. I've always invisioned designing a chapel in a romanesque/gothic style.
I don't think I'd have the Blessed Sacrament reserved in it though.

VeniteAdoremus

I am changing my reply because I just thought of this:

[i]Kid-sized kneelers.[/i]

If I find out my vocation is to marriage, I want a chapel room with child-sized kneelers and a child-sized pew. Although I probably would cry with the cuteness every time they were used.

And I'd want to marry a future permanent deacon, so he'd probably want to reserve the Eucharist for the same reasons as SMM :)

Archaeology cat

If I had the room, it would be wonderful to have a personal chapel. I'm undecided about keeping the Blessed Sacrament there. I'll need to give it more thought.

I wouldn't want to keep the sacrament there because what if someone broke in and desecrated the place. I would like to be married to a deacon too, but they turned my husband down because of his illness.

Vincent Vega

I was thinking:
If I had one, I'd want to have the entrance be somewhat secluded/hidden.
That would deter or prevent any desecration should there be a break in... plus, how freaking awesome would it be to have a hidden room...that was a CHAPEL!
I mean, hidden rooms are super awesome as is...but one with the Eucharist in it too?

Head-explodingly good.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1945267' date='Aug 10 2009, 06:05 AM']I am changing my reply because I just thought of this:

[i]Kid-sized kneelers.[/i]

If I find out my vocation is to marriage, I want a chapel room with child-sized kneelers and a child-sized pew. Although I probably would cry with the cuteness every time they were used.[/quote]
That is a great idea!!!

We love to pray the rosary together and go to adoration so it would be really sweet to have a place where we could do that with kiddos. I will take pics for you so you can vicariously cry with the cuteness.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1945358' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:44 AM']I wouldn't want to keep the sacrament there because what if someone broke in and desecrated the place. I would like to be married to a deacon too, but they turned my husband down because of his illness.[/quote]

I can completely understand why many wouldn't want the responsibility of reserving the most holy Sacrament. It is my thought, though, that there is always a danger of desecration.

If I were ever to reserve the most holy Sacrament in a chapel of mine, I would hide the key to the tabernacle in a place about which no-one else knew. I would also have a large and sturdy door like the front door to a house (unlike the smaller and easier-to-force-open doors that usually lead to rooms inside one's house). I would keep this door locked except when I or a family member wanted to pray.

Edited by Resurrexi

+J.M.J.+
yes, then no.

i'm going to start with just having a closet size chapel - a dresser with icons, statues, candles and such on it and a kneeler. hopefully when hubby and i get a different house, we could make a room into a chapel (with pews and kneelers). he likes making things, so i could probably get him to make kneelers and pews (yes, child-size ones for sure).

i would also love to have our priest friends say Mass there, and yes, i knew you had to have permission from the bishop. :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945698' date='Aug 10 2009, 06:33 PM']If you reserved the Blessed Sacrament, you'd also want a nice monstrance for Adoration. :)[/quote]

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the idea of handling the most holy Sacrament myself in order to place It in the monstrance. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

The reason I wouldn't want the Blessed Sacrament in a private chapel is that I think I'd get too used to it. I'm not sure I would keep up the reverence it deserves in the normal activities of everyday life.
I voted yes to a chapel, no to the Eucharist reserved, for that reason.

I love the idea of the chapel being hidden. :D Especially if it was underground, catacomb style. ;) Or if there was a secret panel that slides out of the way in a corner of your house...... or a secret staircase. :woot:
Yea, secret staircase is coolest. Then the chapel could have a skylight. It's not very gothic, but then again, gothic is rather hard to do on a budget.