An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something I Will Think About

Resurrexi

Considering my recent experience, my first question will be "OK, are you all done with discerning convent/religious life?"

[quote name='Era Might' post='1944153' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:10 PM']Remember to think about this too:

:P[/quote]

But that's only half the story!

Paul also states:

"But to avoid immorality, every man should have his own wife and every woman her own husband" (1 Cor. 7:2)

and

"but if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. It is better to marry than to be on fire" (1 Cor. 7:9)

The bottom line is that even though celibacy has been considered a "higher" calling, not everyone can handle it.

"To sum up: the man who marries his virgin, acts fittingly; the one who does not, will do better" (1 Cor. 7:38)

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1944713' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:12 PM']I called my girlfriend a fat cow and she laughed while attempting to slap me.[/quote]

That explains a lot!

(And all this time I thought it was because you were sparring without headgear? :lol_roll: :lol_roll: )

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1944302' date='Aug 9 2009, 03:08 PM']But we can't separate ourselves from the world as much in marriage. I mean, a cloister is out in that case, and it isn't feasible to devote all energy to adoration, or daily Mass (this is still sometimes possible, of course). And Paul is clarifying that what he means by worldly things is that each spouse must think of the other, and not just spend the day on their knees. Of course, I'm of the opinion that the entire day can be a prayer of sorts.[/quote]
Yeah. Opus Dei style.

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1944836' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:20 PM']That explains a lot!

(And all this time I thought it was because you were sparring without headgear? :lol_roll: :lol_roll: )[/quote]

Actually she missed. I've learned how to dodge...

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1944850' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:30 PM']Actually she missed. I've learned how to dodge...[/quote]

Well, she may be practicing with her frying pan right now!!!

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1944853' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:31 PM']Well, she may be practicing with her frying pan right now!!![/quote]

Stop! She might read your mind and really start doing that! *shudders*

txdinghysailor

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1944876' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:54 PM']I prefer rolling pins to skillets. Of course my rolling pin is made of solid marble.[/quote]

Please, stop talking about this! Trust me, she doesn't need any more ideas....

missionseeker

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1944713' date='Aug 9 2009, 08:12 PM']I called my girlfriend a fat cow and she laughed while attempting to slap me. If that's not love, I don't know what is. :)[/quote]

That's cuz your gf is anything BUT a fat cow. :P

And...

I can give her plenty of ideas. And relay these to her, even if you don't show her. :mellow:

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Era Might' post='1944153' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:10 PM']Remember to think about this too:
... but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. ...[/quote]

Oh man, is that ever true.

eagle_eye222001

Thoughtful thread. :think:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/x%26y"]Coldplay - X&Y[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1945039' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:54 AM']Thoughtful thread. :think:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/x%26y"]Coldplay - X&Y[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]

Your face is thoughtful :mellow: