An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something I Will Think About

Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

I'm sure most people at a High Mass recieve on the tongue, eh?

Well I will go sometime. Hopefully soon. Except I'm not confident enough to drive that far on my own yet, and I know for sure my parents wouldn't want to take me. Hour and a half bussing it is then. :) I'll make a day out of it. The Mass is at noon, so it's a good time for a day trip.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945194' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:13 AM']I'm sure most people at a High Mass recieve on the tongue, eh?[/quote]

There isn't an option at the EF Mass. Everyone receives on the tongue. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945195' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:13 AM']There isn't an option at the EF Mass. Everyone receives on the tongue. :)[/quote]
I say most because I'm sure once in a while some crazy decides to try to make a statement. ;)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945198' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:20 AM']I say most because I'm sure once in a while some crazy decides to try to make a statement. ;)[/quote]

That reminds me of one Sunday when I was serving the EF Mass and was holding the paten under the chins of the communicants. One of my classmates and her mother were there so that my classmate could get extra credit for religion class. When Father and I got to my classmate at the rail, she put her hands out. The way I held the paten made it impossible for her to receive in the hands, however. After a moment she consented to receiving on the tongue, but her mother was much more stubborn. Even though Father kept trying to place the Host on her tongue, she wouldn't open her mouth and kept sticking her hands out. After about ten seconds of this, Father basically forced the most holy Sacrament into her mouth (not in a violent or irreverent way, though). :rolleyes:

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

Would the priest have been allowed to just keep going and skip her? :P
That is a funny story.

Unfortunately it reminds me of when I passed up a great opportunity to recieve on the tongue for the first time. We were at a beautiful Gothic church in London... St. James. There's a Communion rail that everyone uses, the whole nine yards.
Except I wasn't quite informed enough at that point to be have any bit of traditionalism on my mind, so I recieved on the hand. Now I think it was a nice opportunity that I wasted.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945200' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:28 AM']Unfortunately it reminds me of when I passed up a great opportunity to recieve on the tongue for the first time. We were at a beautiful Gothic church in London... St. James. There's a Communion rail that everyone uses, the whole nine yards.
Except I wasn't quite informed enough at that point to be have any bit of traditionalism on my mind, so I recieved on the hand. Now I think it was a nice opportunity that I wasted.[/quote]

That sounds like a cool church. Did you make it to Westminster Cathedral (not to be confused with Westminster Abbey)?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945207' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:42 AM']Just the Abbey.[/quote]

:shock:

You missed this gem of 19th Century English Catholic Neo-Byzantine architecture?

[img]http://www.mtassoc.co.uk/graphics/incidental/westminster.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3357230052_84a2cfa2e9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4509/sg1l0797qy7.jpg[/img]

Nihil Obstat

Unfortunately we did.
It was a packed ten days.
St. James was the only Catholic church we were in, unless you count the chapel in the Tower of London. :(

Nihil Obstat

St James was more impressive, in my opinion, but then again I've always been partial to Gothic architecture.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1944769' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:45 AM']What kind of girl in her right mind would want a Solemn High Mass in the extraordinary form for her wedding?[/quote]
Sounds lovely. I've never been to a Solemn High Mass, but sounds wonderful. We had the OF, but our priest chanted a lot of it.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1944848' date='Aug 10 2009, 03:28 AM']Yeah. Opus Dei style.[/quote]
I think I need to read up more on Opus Dei.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945214' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:52 AM']Unfortunately we did.
It was a packed ten days.
St. James was the only Catholic church we were in, unless you count the chapel in the Tower of London. :([/quote]

Did you get the opportunity to venerate the holy bodies of the martyrs SS. John Fisher and Thomas More while at St. Peter ad Vincula?

Nihil Obstat

Stop making me sad. :(
There wasn't much religious about the trip. Closest I got to a saint was seeing Edward the Confessor's... spot. :P
I didn't plan the trip.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945222' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:06 AM']Stop making me sad. :(
There wasn't much religious about the trip. Closest I got to a saint was seeing Edward the Confessor's... spot. :P[/quote]

Do you mean his tomb? :detective: