An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something I Will Think About

Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944148' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:00 PM']Something I Will Think About, The next time I consider asking a girl out[/quote]
Remember to think about this too:

[quote]I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

--1Corinthians 7:32-35[/quote]
:P

VeniteAdoremus

Celibacy ftw ;)

But seriously, yes, that's sound relationship advice :)

Not that there's anything wrong with charming, beautiful God-fearing ladies.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1944177' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:28 PM']Not that there's anything wrong with charming, beautiful God-fearing ladies.[/quote]

Ideally I would like a girl who possessed all thee of those qualities. :)

I'm having a hard time seeing what St. Paul's getting at, cause it isn't always "worldy" in marriage. I guess it was just his opinion :idontknow:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1944253' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:02 PM']I guess it was just his opinion :idontknow:[/quote]

I can't have just been St. Paul's opinion. "[E]verything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit" (Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, [i]Eei Verbum[/i], 11).

:)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1944253' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:02 PM']I'm having a hard time seeing what St. Paul's getting at, cause it isn't always "worldy" in marriage. I guess it was just his opinion :idontknow:[/quote]
But we can't separate ourselves from the world as much in marriage. I mean, a cloister is out in that case, and it isn't feasible to devote all energy to adoration, or daily Mass (this is still sometimes possible, of course). And Paul is clarifying that what he means by worldly things is that each spouse must think of the other, and not just spend the day on their knees. Of course, I'm of the opinion that the entire day can be a prayer of sorts.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1944253' date='Aug 9 2009, 02:02 PM']I'm having a hard time seeing what St. Paul's getting at, cause it isn't always "worldy" in marriage. I guess it was just his opinion :idontknow:[/quote]
It's not that marriage is "worldly" but that you cannot be completely dedicated to God and to your spouse. Your attention is divided, just like the verse states.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944148' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:00 PM']Something I Will Think About, The next time I consider asking a girl out[/quote]

Here's a thought from St. Paul on the matter:

[quote name='Letter of St. Paul to the Romans, Chapter 6, Verse 12']Do not[/quote]

It's not just that beauty fades, but our concept of beauty changes with proximity. Sometimes when a new car model comes out, we think it is ugly. 6 months later, after seeing it constantly, all of a sudden, the model starts to look really good.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1944444' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:49 PM']It's not just that beauty fades, but our concept of beauty changes with proximity. Sometimes when a new car model comes out, we think it is ugly. 6 months later, after seeing it constantly, all of a sudden, the model starts to look really good.[/quote]
This is true. In humans, personality plays a huge role in attractiveness, I think. I think my husband gets handsomer when certain aspects of his character shine through. Conversely, some people, upon closer acquaintance, really do begin to resemble male donkeys.