An Old School Catholic Message Board

Planned Parenthood

Resurrexi

I've gotten the age card too on PM before. It does get annoying. I wonder at what age you have to be in order to "know" something. <_<

Edited by tinytherese

I think the age card is supremely lame and highfalutin. [i]Especially[/i] when it is used on our non-Catholic brethren--it makes it harder for others to take our faith seriously.

Edited by XIX

[quote name='Hassan' post='1948271' date='Aug 13 2009, 08:02 PM']A lot of Jews find it offensive that people trivialize the near extermination of the European Jewish community in less than a decade in order to add a little extra emotional pow to their punch.[/quote]
I'm just going to focus on this sentence because I take serious issue with [i]anybody [/i]who claims to know exactly what ulterior motives another person has. There is no way to know what you are accusing us of. Maybe you're right. Maybe we are using the Nazi analogy just to rake on other peoples' emotions. But maybe we are doing it because it is an analogy that makes sense to us. Maybe we are trying to use a common belief as a starting off point--it is usually pretty easy to get others to agree that Hitler/genocide/Nazism is extremely evil. If you can prove that such-and-such is similar to Nazi Germany, then you're a lot closer to proving that such-and-such is also evil.

Maybe people are using that analogy just because they've heard it a lot and that's the only way they can express themselves. Maybe it's because they are historians and have a strong predisposition to learning from history. Maybe it's just for reasons that I haven't thought of.

Most likely, a lot of different people are doing it for a lot of different reasons.

If I recall, a lot of Catholics have accused you of having similarly ulterior motives in the realm of debate. They don't have a right to throw such unfounded accusations at you, and neither do you at them. It's irresponsible and it's unfair.

God bless,
XIX

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1948297' date='Aug 13 2009, 06:33 PM']Being a human and being a person are not the same thing.[/quote]

I actually agree with this. We must not forget that angels are persons too.

[quote name='XIX' post='1948363' date='Aug 13 2009, 07:33 PM']I think the age card is supremely lame and highfalutin. [i]Especially[/i] when it is used on our non-Catholic brethren--it makes it harder for others to take our faith seriously.[/quote]

I agree... the pro-life argument stands on its own. We shouldn't have to reduce it to arguing about the age of those on either side.

A twelve year old can be pro-life and a 50 year old can be pro-abortion. Age doesn't have anything to do with it. And when we reduce it to childish bickering about age it makes it sound like reason is insufficient to defend the pro-life side, which is not true.

Nihil Obstat

Nobody's ever tried the age card against me. I guess I'm lucky that way. :P

Oh wait, that's not true. MV brought it up once. :)