Lil Red Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 It's that time of year again....the new year of the Church is coming up fast - November 27! This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name in mind. The patron saints for this coming year that are in the mix: the "standards", converts, imprisoned/prisoners, martyrs, families, and the poor. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion: [i]Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.[/i] [color=#4B0082]“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”[/color] Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina If you would like a saint, message me with your name or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc.... BTW, don't feel like I'm ignoring you if I don't pm you with your saint right away. I'm hoping to go to Confession tomorrow and Mass before I draw for saints.
MissScripture Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 I would like one this year. I think you know me well enough, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for doing this again.
Amppax Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 (edited) I'm in. Alex, 19, student. My biggest worry/fear/etc for the upcoming year is my studies, specifically how to improve and do my best consistently and passionately living my faith outside of the comfortable confines of school. Edited November 11, 2011 by Amppax
faithcecelia Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 What a lovely idea, yes please! Faith, almost 32, re-entering Carmel in January. Thank you
i<3LSOP Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 Lil Red I love the idea! Rachel, 12 years old, student (homeschooling), middle child, discerning but except for ya'll and a few close friends my family and no one else knows. Thanks so much!
Lisa Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 Lil' Red, I would love one. Lisa, 21, senior in college. Discerning, and Lord willing, will be entering religious life in August. Thank you!
fides quarens intellectum Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 ooooh, YAY!!!! Yes, please - we'd like another saint for next year. Thanks!!
Theresita Nerita Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 Yes please. 27, what's on my mind this year is using my literary production to glorify God instead of the other way around, and being completely dependent on Him - help needed! Thanks!
the171 Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 15, sophomore of the south, hoping to graduate sooner than later, discerning carmel, making my live-in at 3:30-Sunday, school is a kick in the face, family life is hard, and God knows what else.
Clare~Therese Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 This sounds fun! Sarah, 15. Student. Discerning (Poor Clares maybe?). I'm worried about my speech class next semester, geometry, and driver's ed, and school-related stuff in general. I'd also like to improve my artistic/drawing/sketching skills to glorify God; I'd like to grow in faith and trust in God.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 Love the idea! Claire, 13, discerning with the Carmelites, but still looking into other communities to keep my heart open to His Will for me. I want to grow in trust and love for God, and the will to defend Him whenever need presents itself.
TheresaThoma Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 I like this, I'll PM you with my specifics!
let_go_let_God Posted November 11, 2011 Posted November 11, 2011 Oooh Yes please! My patron for last year has been outstanding! Looking forward to it again this year! God bless- LGLG
Groo the Wanderer Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 sure sign me up. i need all the help i can get
Archaeology cat Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 You know me. Like Groo, I need all the help I can get. I think you know what's going on with me well enough, but feel free to PM.
vee Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 Im in. Thats all Im gonna say because its the Holy Spirit who decides.
vee Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 St James was my patron for this year but I was getting tired of being stalked by saints who were either born in Spain or died there so I kinda ignored him
BG45 Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 Would love one please! Phil, 25, grad student.
she_who_is_not Posted November 12, 2011 Posted November 12, 2011 I've had two 20th century saints. St. Gianna Beretta Molla in 2010-love her!!!!!! Solanus Casey this year. I can't wait to see who I get this year. I love the saints!!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now