An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

I blended it all in the food processor after cooking a while to make it smoothe.

Edited by arfink

Chestertonian

I blended it all in the food processor after cooking a while to make it smoothe.

mmmmm. Over what? Penne? Spaghetti?

Yeah, penne. Topped off with some cheapo Kraft parmesan, because I didn't have any of the good stuff. Still, it was fab. :) If you're curious, i could write down the exact steps and ballpark amounts.

Chestertonian

Yeah, penne. Topped off with some cheapo Kraft parmesan, because I didn't have any of the good stuff. Still, it was fab. :) If you're curious, i could write down the exact steps and ballpark amounts.

Please. Sounds good.

OK, here is what I did:

1. Take one largish clove of garlic, peel it, and chop it into a couple smaller pieces. Like, I dunno, 6 or something.

2. Put some olive oil into a saucepan (about a tablespoon) and add the garlic pieces. Cook on medium until the garlic smells awesome and is just beginning to brown. Remove from heat.

3. In a food processor, put two cans of diced tomatoes. Make sure one can is undrained, and the other can has been drained. If you don't have enough room in yours for 2 cans, use the undrained one, and then blend up the drained one afterwards. That's what I had to do.

4. Put the toasted garlic bits into the food processor, but leave the oil in the saucepan. Keep the oil!

5. Add a teaspoon or so of dried red pepper flakes. More or less to taste. Also add 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried oregano and also some black pepper and salt. Blend until smooth. Dump it all back into the sauce pot. If you didn't blend the second can, blend it now, and also add it to the sauce pot.

6. Cook at a simmer for a while. When it feels right (or after it's cooked down a bit) add a small splash of heavy cream and the same of vodka. Probably no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons. i didn't measure. Mix that in, and continue cooking until your pasta is done.

7. Once the pasta is done and drained, put your sauce back into the food processor one more time, and just beat it to a pulp, before combining with the noodles. Serve with parmesan.

:eat:

Chestertonian

OK, here is what I did:

1. Take one largish clove of garlic, peel it, and chop it into a couple smaller pieces. Like, I dunno, 6 or something.

2. Put some olive oil into a saucepan (about a tablespoon) and add the garlic pieces. Cook on medium until the garlic smells amesome and is just beginning to brown. Remove from heat.

3. In a food processor, put two cans of diced tomatoes. Make sure one can is undrained, and the other can has been drained. If you don't have enough room in yours for 2 cans, use the undrained one, and then blend up the drained one afterwards. That's what I had to do.

4. Put the toasted garlic bits into the food processor, but leave the oil in the saucepan. Keep the oil!

5. Add a teaspoon or so of dried red pepper flakes. More or less to taste. Also add 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried oregano and also some black pepper and salt. Blend until smooth. Dump it all back into the sauce pot. If you didn't blend the second can, blend it now, and also add it to the sauce pot.

6. Cook at a simmer for a while. When it feels right (or after it's cooked down a bit) add a small splash of heavy cream and the same of vodka. Probably no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons. i didn't measure. Mix that in, and continue cooking until your pasta is done.

7. Once the pasta is done and drained, put your sauce back into the food processor one more time, and just beat it to a pulp, before combining with the noodles. Serve with parmesan.

:eat:

Sounds heavenly. Cant wait to try it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you, sir. :)

I discovered some new tricks with my laser cutter today, and spent the afternoon smelling the lovely aroma of linseed oil and vaporized pine. Seriously, it smells great.

This new Boards of Canada album Tomorrow's Harvest is really superb. It's filled with tantalizing depth and texture and richness, even without any words. Seriously, I feel like I could swim in this music. I've heard more things every time I listen too. It's like a fantastic book you can read over and over again.

On the other hand, if you don't listen closely, it doesn't sound like much. It can sound repetitive and boring, even grating. I wouldn't put this on in a room full of people, for example. This is music really meant to be meditated upon, and I mean that in a proper Catholic sense. You could take this to prayer.

So far I have been pleased to find a whole array of tantalizing sounds, from the usual floaty and nebulous synths and pads to intricate textured rythms made from found-audio sources like helicopters, or birds singing, radio static, cars moving, or "number stations." The mastering is absolutely superb, and every time I listen I hear new things. With a good set of headphones, you can very closely imagine where the sounds are coming from, and it gives you a strange sense, when your eyes are closed, of moving through an unfamiliar but wonderful place, and hearing all the things around you.

TheresaThoma

One time I had to get up at 4am drive 6 hours over mountain passes to get to work on time. (I wanted to visit my aunt but couldn't get off work for more than 2 days, hence the crazy drive).

I ended up drinking a BIG thing of coffee, when I normally didn't drink any. I had the jitters SO bad even hours afterward and couldn't focus at work. Major caffeine fail.

brianthephysicist

There is an awful lot of deep significance buried in that for me.

As an artist I am actually most impressed by the music. I am of course in awe of the technical brilliance Boards of Canada has for sound production, but it's also just plan beautiful. It evokes the feeling I get when I'm remembering something beautiful in a difficult time. The past echoes and rings in my ears, cycling back on itself, changing keys, seeping back into the cracks in my heart. And then after a while it suddenly changes. Accidental reminiscing becomes a hunt, with percussion like quickened footsteps, or the pieces of a new realization clicking rapidly into place. And as soon as it has begun, the memory recedes with the music. The piece I was looking for was there where I had left it, and I put the memories back into the dusty place I found them, where they lie at rest until they are needed again.

And the video itself reflects this audible reality too. A dusty desert, with charred and gutted buildings, a representation of half-memories. The viewer searches for something, the good, the beautiful. The blinding desert sun makes it hard to see, and when things are clear, only decay seems to remain. Then when the percussion sounds, the viewer takes to the road. The beauty I was looking for was not in the crumbling buildings. Those were only built so that the previous occupants could dwell near the real beauty; the mountains, the trees, the roses, the sky and the sun. And in the end there is this really lovely and surprising trinitarian reference, as the camera's view of the beautiful sky is blotted out by the sun, which splits into 3, and then fades to black.

This is the kind of stuff I come back to when I'm in prayer, believe it or not. Ever since seminary, this kind of music has been part of the soundtrack of my spiritual life, with the likes of Vangelis and Jarre and Mosaik and Planet Boelex and all the rest. Back then I didn't even know about Boards of Canada, but I have found that many of the artists I have called my favorites took their inspiration from Boards of Canada. It feels a little like coming home to a place I didn't know about to listen to this. Really beautiful stuff. :)

http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/05/daily-draw-derpy-dino.html

20130531_195732.jpg

So I painted this dinosaur today. He's pretty cool. :)

QodFCKm.jpg

Done. I think. :)

Check it out! New engraving. :) Not for sale yet, but soon. Very soon. Click link to see bigger.

http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/05/laser-engraving-veni-sancte-spiritus.html

s600IMG_4235.JPG

Yea...I just come here to spend all of my props...

Thanks Brian. Really, that means a heck of a lot to me. Not the props per-se, but the kind of validation or confirmation that my work and all this stuff I "waste" my time on by the standards of the world is really worth something to other people. That's really got to be my ultimate goal with my life. How does this serve other people?

Edited by arfink