An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

If I could, I would show this to every person who thinks they look ugly. Photoshop makes everyone feel horrible about themselves.

Y0cPOM1.gif

AUnX3WS.gif

(More in the link -WARNING- contains underwear, and people wearing them.)

http://imgur.com/gallery/zRmEM

Edited by arfink

I got something big going down on Monday that I have to get ready for! Sunday is going to be busy as I prepare.

You are hatching a baby dinosaur?  How fun!

And thank you for the image-of-self links.  Yes.  Exactly.

Edited by AnneLine

Some days I think this might be my soundtrack for riding my bike.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc4Ha3T09Dk[/media]

ChristinaTherese

Wait a sec... Rayman!?!?! Sweet!

Sometimes  I just start singing the "I don't want to die" part of this while riding my bike....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dph4VMkTYGM

At times, it fits. (Although I'm not sure I like the band in general. It's a bit dark, I think.)

Fixed. Because I can't edit anymore.

It's been dark, and threatening to rain all day long. Yuck. I need to get my mind off the gross weather.

[media]http://youtu.be/UEUiv-LxLsA[/media]

:paco: It's taco time. Also Progressive House time. Gotta give those tacos something to dance to. :paco:

So I have been investigating the possibility of using inexpensive LED lighting for seasonal affective disorder. There now exist high powered multi-emitter LED packages in high wattage configurations which have light colors close to sunlight, usually in the 5000k temp range. They tend to come in 10,20,30,50, and 100 watt varieties, and are inexpensively sold along with a (admittedly rather cheap quality) DC power supply as outdoor floodlights. The lumen outputs advertised are all over the board, but the typical lumen output desired for treating SAD is 929 lumen or more. A 20 watt LED emitter typically is rated at 1200 to 1800 lumen, and I can only assume that the Chinese quality control people are testing this by putting the light meter directly against the emitter's face, which is a highly unrealistic kind of rating. Of course, the price ($25 to $150 for something 10 to 100 watts) is nice nonetheless.

1800 lumen may initially seem overkill, until you realize that a 100 watt incandescent light bulb is rated at 16 lumen per watt, or 1600 lumen total. The reflected light energy from a single household light bulb is quite weak however, and so many DIY light box solutions for SAD simply cluster large numbers of light bulbs together. I figure a single emitter source in the 4000-5000 lumen range (roughly 50 watts LED) would provide an effective level of illumination after being reflected or diffused.

Then there is the problem of color temp. Most incandescent and even florescent bulbs are in the 3000k color range, which is somewhat yellow. Most LEDs, by contrast, run around 5000k, which is about the color of the sky at noontime, slightly overcast. It appears to be slightly blue and "cold" indoors, but only because we're largely accustomed to yellowish interior lighting. However, the color is about right to trick the mind into thinking it's outdoor lighting, if there isn't any other incandescent lighting turned on in the room. Now, a clear blue sky directly overhead on a really bright day rates somewhere around 15,000k to 25,000k, but that's not currently reproducible with commercially available lighting, so I'm not going to bother. :P

So I'm thinking something like a 30 to 50 watt LED emitter with a home-made diffuser or perhaps just washing over a white wall would be sufficient for my needs, and not too terribly expensive. :)

Edited by arfink

Paint your wall yellow (or paint a picture of some sunflowers or hang some yellow drapes).... point the light at that, and it will feel like a nice, sunny day!

sunflower4.jpg

sunflower8.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

Paint your wall yellow (or paint a picture of some sunflowers or hang some yellow drapes).... point the light at that, and it will feel like a nice, sunny day!

Hrm, a yellow painting might be doable. ;)