An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

I started a personal project yesterday. I'm going to re-do my joystick.

See lots of pics of the "before" state here. I'm just getting rid of the ugly scrap-wood case, and I'm gonna make something nice.

https://plus.google.com/105078442860410937744/posts/LAGojfbYZqj

Ugly:

2013-05-13+13.19.04.jpg

2013-05-13+13.19.10.jpg

And complete lack of strain relief.

2013-05-13+13.19.36.jpg

And this kinda shows how mine might go together later once I redesign:

Screenshot+from+2013-05-13+15%253A42%253

Measured all the parts, and I'm making some 1:1 scale drawings on paper. I think I have an arrangement that might work out here. What you're seeing here is a cutaway view of the joystick mounting arrangement, and a side-button setup for the small white buttons. I didn't bother drawing in the big buttons because the depth on those will be 37mm with wires on, instead of 41mm used on the joystick (with a few mm extra to account for stick rotation,) so I don't really need to worry about those hitting the backside of the case.

In case you're curious, the top side is perhaps the most difficult part to build, and will be done using the laser cutter. It consists of a 1/4" ply wood base layer, with an 1/8" top layer to allow clearance for the joystick mounting plate, which will be glued in place. The top 1/8" layer will be acrylic. The 30mm push buttons will be anchored through the top 1/4" of material, which will help reduce flexing and help to retain the center of the upper acrylic sheet.

sketch.JPG

I wish I had a 3D printer, it would be super useful. As it is right now though, a laser cutter is just right for me, even if it has serious limitations compared to a 3D printer, because I don't need to learn complex 3DCAM software to operate it.

Yes oh yes. GRiZ is the thing for today. :)

[media]http://youtu.be/sVAaBj1G8BI[/media]

Recovering from some rather serious crud. Needed some of this tonight.

[media]http://youtu.be/weRiAwPR5xQ[/media]

2013-05-16%252014.03.04.jpg

Today's bike ride I was playing courier. My package rack is super handy for this. Also note my bike's attractive McDonald's themed paint job. :P Thanks so much 80s.

2013-05-16%252014.05.35.jpg

The view up my street.

2013-05-16%252014.19.03.jpg

Apparently I'm not supposed to park here. :P Nyaaaa

I am very disappointed in the new supplier I decided to try for my craft wood that I use for engravings. (Inventables) I was tempted by their wider selection of species and attractive prices. It was not worth it though.

The wood is out of spec. I purchased a 24 inch by 12 inch piece from them, and received a piece that was nearly an inch short in each dimension. The edges of the boards were a bit ragged, and some of them were flaking along the grain. It was also supposed to be 1/4" thick, and was not actually that thick. It was more like 3/8" thick.

I was also disappointed in my selection of birch as a species, the color when engraved is not beautiful, it's dull and color ranges from gray to black.

The wood I usually purchase from Midwest Products is always to spec, and has a much nicer color, in part because it is not covered over in a thin veneer, but is made from a 3-ply of thicker wood.

I would probably order from Inventables again for other products, but not the 1/4" birch plywood.

Well, the local hardware store carries the wood in the correct brand, thickness, and species for my purposes, so I bought 3 sheets from them. Overpriced, but I've learned a valuable lesson. The price was worth it for that.