An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

Oh you can incite me to car-lust any ol time. :)

Speaking of which, I found out that the same man designed many of my favorite cars. His name is Giorgetto Giugiaro. The DMC Delorian, the Lotus Esprit S1, and the DeTomaso Mangusta.

DeTomaso Mangusta

MANGUSTA?     rotfl. 

Now granted that it's mangled Spanglaise....

First I give you the Chevy Nova (No - va - aka 'doesn't go') that gives you Car- :lust:

you respond by telling me about some car named MAN-GUSTA  (man likes!) 

Wow!!!!

Talk about a car with a perfect name... what guy doesn't 'gusta' cars, right Missy?

rotfl rotfl rotfl ... :lust: :lust: :lust:... rotfl rotfl rotfl

Edited by AnneLine

Lotus-Esprit-S1-Orange.jpg

Lotus Esprit S1

delorean_brochure3_81.jpg

Delorean

70-DeTomaso_Mangusta_GT_Cpe_DV-07-MB_04.

Mangusta

Look familiar? Yeah. Apparently the design was inspired by sharks. And seagulls.

I have ridden in a Delorian.  That is one ODD car. 

Felt a little like Jonah in the belly of the whale, now that you mention it...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L811ftCF2s&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Si, MANGUSTA!!!!

And I bet ARFink gusta la musica!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

ARFink, you will do me and my egret an INJURY!!!!!    ROTFL!!!!!  

Esa MANGUSTA no es modesta!

Edited by AnneLine

http://ncronline.org/node/51711

^^ Don Pino (Fr. Giuseppe "Pino" Puglisi) is going to be beatified. This is a really REALLY big deal. Why? Because he's going to be recognized as a martyr.

He was killed by the Mafia. By men who called themselves Catholics and who did not directly hate the faith. He is being called a martyr because he was murdered not because his assailants hated the faith, but because they hated virtue and truth. This is really huge, because it restores the old notions of martyrdom once again. For example, John the Baptist wasn't a martyr because Herod hated Christianity, and yet we call him a martyr. I'm glad to see this older concept of martyrdom being brought forward once again.

Here is Don Pino's story, excerpted from that article:

By all accounts a funny, spitfire pastor, Puglisi dedicated his life to convincing youth in his crime-infested neighborhood that there are ways forward other than the mob and to shaping a civil society in Sicily that challenged the Mafia's political influence.

His journey started as a young pastor in the 1960s in Godrano, in the hills 25 miles outside Palermo. When Puglisi arrived, there had been 15 recent murders in this village of scarcely more than 100 people, all related to a feud between two rival Mafia clans. Puglisi started going door-to-door, reading the Gospel with people and talking about forgiveness. He encouraged small groups to pray and to read the Bible, at first once a month, then every 15 days. 

Eventually, one of the women hosting a group said she couldn't carry on until she had forgiven the mother of her son's assassin. Puglisi arranged reconciliation between the two women, which endured despite strong disapproval from many in the village. By itself, this outcome did not cancel the feud, but it was a start.

"Peace," Puglisi said, "is like bread -- it must be shared or it loses its flavor."

Puglisi later took over as pastor of San Gaetano Parish in the rough-and-tumble Palermo neighborhood of Brancaccio. He became famous for his strong anti-Mafia stance, refusing to take their money for feast day celebrations and not allowing dons to march at the head of processions. He strove to keep youth out of their reach, discouraging them from dropping out of school, robbing, drug-dealing and selling contraband cigarettes. He also declined to award a contract to a construction firm backed by the Mafia for the restoration of his church.

He understood he was playing with fire. Members of a social improvement group in his parish found the doors of their houses torched and got menacing phone calls. Puglisi himself received multiple death threats and, according to the testimony of one of his hit men (who later confessed), Puglisi's last words were: "I've been expecting you."

As it happened, Puglisi was gunned down on his 56th birthday. Visitors to Brancaccio today can find his favorite saying scrawled all over its walls: "And what if somebody did something?"

Edited by arfink